Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Question ? about the floor under the front gaucho

Today was the first day we have been able to get into our "new" 66 safari and take a good look at what we acquired last fall. The Midwest has been brutal this winter. Our eyes must have been glazed over when we first looked at it. Now that every thing has been cleaned out we have a number of questions. I thought it might be a good idea to begin with the floor. Most of it seem solid we do see an issue with the bathroom area and know it will have to be replaced. Can it be done in sections or do we have to completely gut the safari to access it? As we were taking the seat cushions out and checking for the water tank and pump we discovered a hole cut in the floor with wire mesh covering it. Is this normal? What is it's purpose if it is? We also see signs that there are water spots but it seems to be solid. Once this is dealt with I can start to deal with the gas and water.
drowe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forums drowe42.
The wire mesh covered hole is usually under the refer for outside combustion air to the burner. I haven't seen one under a gaucho before.
The bathroom can be removed without gutting the whole thing. check in the repair area of the forums to find out what you will be into for that. The water spots indicate that there are or were leaks in those areas. It would be a good idea to re-seal the seams on the exterior and check with a garden hose to be sure you are watertight.
Everything you need to know is here already, and if you can't find it just ask.
Happy streaming, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
My 66 Safari also has a hole cut in the floor on the streetside gaucho with wire mesh over it. It was stuffed with insulation and I have always wondered what it was for.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Well now I know there are at least two of us wondering. I still haven't figured out what is original and what has been added. Maybe someone out there knows.
drowe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

It's possible that the battery was located there. I can't think of any other reason it would have a vent there.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Vents

I have two wire mesh covered outside air vents on the street side of my Safari. One is located behind the refer the other is under the streetside goucho near the battery access door. I think the one under the goucho was for air to the battery compartment to help vent off gases from the battery while charging and when overcharging and boiling. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote