Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cheltenham , Glos
A big repair job or a bargain??

Hi folks,

I'm a new member on these forums and an Airstream-wannabee. I'm a Brit so at the moment my most likely course of action is to buy an Airstream over the internet/phone from the UK and get it shipped over.

I have found this Airstream at Colonial Airstream (NJ based) which looks like it needs some TLC and which could work for me if I can sort out the repair issues....

2003 Airstream International CCD 22' Travel Trailer NR : eBay Motors (item 140394761174 end time Apr-03-10 11:45:25 PDT)

So, I guess my question is, judging from the photos and the information given is this likely to be a big repair job? Basically, it looks as though the back of the toilet area has been leaking into the floor area under the desk. Will all the floor need to be ripped up and is it easy to get access to just a section of the floor or will it require a full floor strip out? I appreciate that this largely depends on how much the leakage spread and also what material the floor is.

Any help or advice - either on the floor or any of the other 'problems' it has - would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richard
rjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcarte View Post
Hi folks,

I'm a new member on these forums and an Airstream-wannabee. I'm a Brit so at the moment my most likely course of action is to buy an Airstream over the internet/phone from the UK and get it shipped over.

I have found this Airstream at Colonial Airstream (NJ based) which looks like it needs some TLC and which could work for me if I can sort out the repair issues....

2003 Airstream International CCD 22' Travel Trailer NR : eBay Motors (item 140394761174 end time Apr-03-10 11:45:25 PDT)

So, I guess my question is, judging from the photos and the information given is this likely to be a big repair job? Basically, it looks as though the back of the toilet area has been leaking into the floor area under the desk. Will all the floor need to be ripped up and is it easy to get access to just a section of the floor or will it require a full floor strip out? I appreciate that this largely depends on how much the leakage spread and also what material the floor is.

Any help or advice - either on the floor or any of the other 'problems' it has - would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richard
The photo's etc, have been removed on e-bay.

Suggestion. Why don't you have the dealer here, as part of the deal, do the repair, and document it with before and after photo's?

Could save you some money.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums!

Better link. 2003 Airstream International CCD 22' Travel Trailer NR : eBay Motors (item 140394761174 end time Apr-03-10 11:45:25 PDT)

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Ebay won't let you directly link into an auction ... why? Beats me but if you go and enter the item # you go right there.
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Ebay won't let you directly link into an auction ... why? Beats me but if you go and enter the item # you go right there.
Bob
Ya! Looks that way. The link tested find the first couple of times then went bad. Thanks e-bay.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Buying any Airstream sight-unseen is a crap shoot at the best of times. I know it's even harder to find one in the UK but they are there. A friend of mine in Warrington found a nice Safari a few years ago that was brought over by someone serving in the US military.

Good luck,
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote