Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
78 excella floor and frame repair

Hello to all, has been some time since I posted on this site.

I have found some floor rot in my center bath coach in the rear bedroom. It is a 78 and has 1/2" ply not 5/8 or 3/4. The service manual confirms this. After removal of the 4' ply section I noticed that the main frame rails had substantial rust so I treated the area with POR-15 and would like to reinforce the frame rails and rear cross member with 1/8" square tube steel. The frame rails are 5" c channel with 1/8" or so wall thickness. I will replace the decking with MDO ply and then lay a laminated wood floor over it. The wood floor will be glued and stapled (I have done this to the rest of the coach with no ill effects as in buckeling or cracking in over 3000 miles)
Reasons for the posting this here is that I would like some input.
1- How much reinforcement is to much and if I'm at it should I also reinforce the frame rails over the axels (frame is in good shape there)?
2- I would like to strengthen the frame so that I could mount a 2" reciver and have some additional carrying posibilities as in bicycles, outdoor carpet... ?
3- Is there a source for the outriggers? My service manual has the part # listed, the once for the steps in particular.

Thanks for your time , this truely is a great site
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Is there enough left to reinforce what you have? That's what I did.

Rusted outriggers

Reinforced
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Thanks for the pic,s, all my cross members are in better shape than the ones pictured, outriggers look about the same on curb side, street side is ok, since my frame rails are 5" channel, I am considering using 4-1/2"x 1-1/2" tube steel set inside the channel and adding the same to the rear cross member. My only concerns about this repair is the added weight and if that would have adverse affects on the rest of the frame.
Sorry about not posting any pic's, I will as soon as I can
Old 03-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
An update on the frame repair. I ended up using 2x4 tubing with 1/4" plate on top and bottom as a spacer. The total weight of the steel was 56 pounds, which I don't think will pose to much of a problem. I will update soon on progress and hope to have some pic's up soon.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
I was able to source the outriggers through Out-of-Doors-Mart (1-866-636-2267). They cost less than 20 bucks are well made and take the guess work out of it.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Amazing!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
A little update
I completed the welding repairs and, glad that I used new outriggers, took no time to cut the old ones of and tack on the new ones. I then coated the exposed section of frame with POR-15. Using a 4x8 sheet of thermo ply ( basicly a sheet of very thick paper, 1/8" or so, available from most good lumber yards) I cut a template. After some shopping, I ended up using 1/2" MDO ply since it was about middle of the road in regards to cost and quality, for the floor. The ply is installed and I'm satisfied with the progress so far.
I will post pic's as soon as possible.