Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is what I did. I made bridges between the C-channels to get rid of the gap between the curved and straight sections. I got some 3/8" stainless tubing with a flare at one end. I just drilled holes where I wanted drains and stuck them in. Zep is correct, the c-channel is self draining but you don't want it to drain into and rot the floor. You want any water to go under the floor and drip out the belly skin. You need to plug and caulk any holes other than the drains. I did this on the right front corner of my trailer and there are no leaks. On the left side it leaks like mad. I have not done this on the left side yet.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...e-87457-7.html

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Great idea. I actually have some 1/4" aluminum hard line from redoing the brakes on my last project and all the flaring tools. That will work perfect!
TxBxSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are places where there is a bulkhead and if you seal the bottom of that then you will have separate compartments. I would put a drain near each bulk head and maybe one or two between them. This way if the trailer is not level the water will run to the nearest drain. Make sure you seal the pipe at the top so water can't leak around it. The separate compartments will help you isolate a leak if it does get past your drains. Seal all screw heads and penetrations through the C-channel. You can test your drains with water in something like a bicycle bottle. This will help you figure out if you missed something.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
So, I ordered some of the Red Devil Butyl Gray caulk, and afterwards called to make sure everything went through OK only to find out that it was going to be over 3 weeks before they were going to ship it due to the fact that they had to get if from the manufacturer. I canceled and ordered another product called DAP butyl-flex in gray from another location.

Today I get an email saying that the original order had shipped after I had canceled, and that they were honoring the refund due to their mistake. Looks like I'll have a chance to try out both products. Its suprising how hard it is to find this stuff in stock anywhere.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
How strange. Butyl-flex is readily available here in Abq.
Most homeowners and too many contractors use (and misuse) silicone for everything. Because of this some stores may be selling less and less non-silicone caulk.
That said, you will be happy with the DAP.
When I managed a hardware and building supply store here in Abq, I sold only DAP caulking and sealing products and never had a customer complaint.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Been making big progress lately, but hit a bump. I am re-installing all electrical components and am trying to figure out where a few wires go.

First off, the ac wire compartment in the univolt (lower left) I have a black wire and a white wire coming out of the univolt...but I have 3 wires in the "loom" that head back to the AC breakers; white, blue/black, and the non insulated. What goes where?

Second, there are 3 light gauge wires wires that did not go into the fuse compartment in the univolt; red, black and grey. red and black have what looks like a in line glass fuse connector, and the grey has a spade connector that looks like it should be a ground connection. Service manual makes me think that they have something to do with the "central control panel". Ideas? See pic below at top of image:

Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
sneak peak of inside coming together...

Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
The guesses below are close to correct, but no guarantees!

pink, yellow, brown, purple -- these came out of the fuse block and each one feeds a separate 12V circuit (lights, vent fan, pump, etc.)

heavy white -- ground to the Airstream shell and negative to battery

heavy blue -- charging line from the tow vehicle. it also often feeds the radio and maybe some other stuff in the eyebrow cabinet

heavy black -- +12 to battery

small fused wires (black and red, I think) -- these feed the volt and amperage meters in the control panel.

one other wire -- this wire feeds 12V to the "Power On" light on the control panel. This shows that the Univolt has 115V to it. You can duplicate this function by finding a 12V plug-into-the-wall power transformer and hook it up to the light. Modern converters don't supply a separate 12V output to show that 115V is available.

Zep
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
The guesses below are close to correct, but no guarantees!

pink, yellow, brown, purple -- these came out of the fuse block and each one feeds a separate 12V circuit (lights, vent fan, pump, etc.)

heavy white -- ground to the Airstream shell and negative to battery

heavy blue -- charging line from the tow vehicle. it also often feeds the radio and maybe some other stuff in the eyebrow cabinet

heavy black -- +12 to battery

small fused wires (black and red, I think) -- these feed the volt and amperage meters in the control panel.

one other wire -- this wire feeds 12V to the "Power On" light on the control panel. This shows that the Univolt has 115V to it. You can duplicate this function by finding a 12V plug-into-the-wall power transformer and hook it up to the light. Modern converters don't supply a separate 12V output to show that 115V is available.

Zep
I believe this is the original converter, so is there a specific location I am supposed to fasten the spade connector on the univolt?

Also, any thought on the 115 wiring coming into the converter? I feel like the un-insulated third wire can be left unconnected, and want to hook white to white and black to black...but want to be sure.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #50
RV Fixer

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to wickedrevs56
you are right, connect white [110vac] which is neutral to white on converter, black is to black [110vac hot]---the bare wire for the converter is ALWAYS attached to the grounding lug of the converter, or the outside of it;s case.

also if you like an alternative to the 12 volt transformer idea..to know you have 110vac to converter... wire a 110 volt a/c neon indicator light to the power [the black and white , 110vac, you can use a shielded small gauge wire.] going to the converter.... mount the small bulb in the same location in the control panel [neon bulbs run super cool, and almost never burn out] cost about three bucks at radio shack.....
wickedrevs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
It's been a while since the last update, but I have a question.

I have all of the plumbing done now and fired up the water heater last night for the first time. Heats the water great, but after running the hot water for about 10 seconds or so the water pressure starts dropping and I end up with a pretty disappointing a out of flow. Cold side holds a strong and steady flow....is there anything I can do about this and can anyone explain what's going on?

FYI: pretty sure this is the original water heater I'm dealing with.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #52
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Water heaters don't last 40 years.

They usually last 25 years or so.

You have more than got your moneys worth on that one.

Replace it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
What that normally means:
Sediment and scale from the unused water heater is carried to the faucets where it clogs the aerators and sometimes the water mixing valve itself.
In the future, always drain and flush the water heater tank a couple times before you open a faucet.
Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Water heaters don't last 40 years.

They usually last 25 years or so.

You have more than got your moneys worth on that one.

Replace it.

Andy
If it comes down to it I will certainly have to. Do you have any knowledge on what would be the closest thing to an updated direct replacement for this model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
What that normally means:
Sediment and scale from the unused water heater is carried to the faucets where it clogs the aerators and sometimes the water mixing valve itself.
In the future, always drain and flush the water heater tank a couple times before you open a faucet.
Hope this helps.
It test this theory by pulling the hot water hose of the mini washer/dryer I installed. This should work to " flush" any debris in the tank.

I'm assuming the construction of this tank is basically a 10 gallon tank with a heater tube that runs through it?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBxSx View Post
If it comes down to it I will certainly have to. Do you have any knowledge on what would be the closest thing to an updated direct replacement for this model?

It test this theory by pulling the hot water hose of the mini washer/dryer I installed. This should work to " flush" any debris in the tank.

I'm assuming the construction of this tank is basically a 10 gallon tank with a heater tube that runs through it?
Atwood G-10 models will fit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
In passing yesterday I opened up the drain for the hot water line. Strong initial pressure, but dropped to a dribble soon after. A nice steamy dribble, but a dribble none the less.

Gonna hook up a bypass hose to the ball valve just before the water heater to make sure that there isn't some sort of restriction before the heater causing this. If I have good steady pressure there, looks like I'm in 400 bucks for a new heater...not to mention the uninstall and reinstall. Not excited about that.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
check the strainer at the tip of the faucet. That's usually the place where the sediment from the heater collects. Bettcha' a dollar.
Zep
Old 11-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
check the strainer at the tip of the faucet. That's usually the place where the sediment from the heater collects. Bettcha' a dollar.
Zep
I have low pressure even at the pressure release valve on the water heater...
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like the pressure regulator or pressure relief valve at the fresh water intake.
Do you keep the intake covered when not in use. If not, you may have mud dauber problems.
I would pick up a fitting that will screw into the drain plug opening (1/2" NPT) with a hose connection on the other end. Then connect a garden hose, pressurize the system and see if you have good pressure. If so, I would remove the old hardware (Pressure reg and relief valve) and replace with a section of pipe. Then use an external regulator.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
All plumbing in the trailer is brand new, and I replaced the fresh water hook up with this one which has a built in pressure regulator.

Vintage Trailer Supply, Inc. Mobile

The cold water side runs flawlessly, which is why I am thinking that the problem is the water heater. Heater has straight 1/2" fittings going in and coming out. I'll report back when I find out what pressure checks out to be before the water heater.