Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
'69 caravel - front subfloor rot with a swimming pool underneath!

So we realized there was a leak along the edge of the sub floor around the nose of the trailer. We pulled out the sofa frame and the water storage tank and realized that the whole section below was rotten and absolutely disgusting. After getting that section of sub floor up we found moldy insulation, a few nests and a swimming pool on the bottom of the airstream. Fortunately, it seems to just be contained to the front section. Does anyone have a clue where the leak might be? We have sprayed the exterior trying to figure out where it is coming from and it seems pretty tight. There was quite a bit of water floating on the bottom...Any thoughts would be most appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Blog Pics 035.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	179723  
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Did you inspect the water tank thoroughly for leaks? Was the water pump and all its connections located up front too?

If you can't find an exterior leak, it is certainly possible that your leak was coming from the inside. On our last trip, I found that our water pump was oozing water every time it ran. Undiscovered, over time, that could be very damaging.

Good luck!

"The Towster" 1969 Globetrotter 21' (Silver)
"The Yeti" 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1 Allison Crew Cab (White)
"The Boat" Old Town Canoe Discovery 174 (Green)
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern South View Post
So we realized there was a leak along the edge of the sub floor around the nose of the trailer.
If there was a leak by the edge of the subfloor (I assume you mean the rivet line where the trailer skin meets the belly pan) that certainly can cause this kind of damage. Maybe I'm not understanding but why do you think there's another leak?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Thumbs up Wahooooo! We found the leaks!

Thank you both for responding. This morning we had big rainstorm. At five, we were both standing in our pajamas, with flashlights, inside our freezing Caravel. We were both surprised by the location of the leak. I really thought, as did the first responder, that it was coming from either the fresh water tank or the water lines located in that section of the trailer. My husband thought it was a roof leak. Turns out, it was actually more of what the second responder thought. On a '69 Caravel there is pinstriping that is covering the point where the bottom pan of the airstream meets the sidewall. Part of this pinstripe has separated from the trailer wall and the water was leaking inside. It is amazing how much water can fit through such a small area! I later tested it with the hose to confirm. Anyway, thanks for your advice and caulk is on the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Blog Pics 037.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	179905  
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel