Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Corpus Christi , Texas
66 safari shell off help

Alright boys and girls we need some help.

After a long hiatus because of illness we are back at it.

Interior panels are off, bottom exterior rivets out.

When we started to lift the shell off today we ran into trouble.

Our initial thought was that the C channel would stay with the frame and we would have the shell. But somewhere we are missing something. Some of the ribs seem to be attached to the c channel and other not. The one that are we can't really determine how.

Sooooo any thought or ideas on how to get this thing off. I should say that the back, which is basically rotted out and will be getting new frame work is lifting easy.
RevandDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Check for some hidden rivets that are behind the shell at the corners. You may need to slip a putty knife between the outside body sheet and the belly skin to break them loose.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I ran into this same issue today. I finally got my shell off! I found a single buck rivet that was under the skin and attaching the belly pan to a rib. I was able to drill it out of the rib from the inside. I used a center punch and drilled out the bucked material. I found a metal putty knife really handy on the inside also to break loose all the black tar-like stuff. Also, watch out for those hidden elevator bolts. I found the ones where the wheel well meets the wall especially hard to reach.
-good luck
dcole is offline   Reply With Quote