Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
I wished I had named this thread something else. The title seems too negative to me. The truth is I am having a lot of fun working on my Airstream and it's something that I derive enjoyment from. If any administrators are out there reading this can we name this thread '64 Overlander Rescue'.
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
I had planned on working on the trailer today but we are putting to sea soon and the wife doesn't want to share me with the project today.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFerguson View Post
I wished I had named this thread something else. The title seems too negative to me. The truth is I am having a lot of fun working on my Airstream and it's something that I derive enjoyment from. If any administrators are out there reading this can we name this thread '64 Overlander Rescue'.
Go ahead and PM one of them, they will change it for you.

You should try the Google Search on the Forums to answer your question about the planked floor. I believe this has been done before, but I don't know about any long-term results. From my understanding, the floor and frame below it are important to the overall structure of the Airstream, so larger sheets of plywood might provide better support than individual planks would.

But, I'm an electrical engineer, not a structural one...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Took your advice utee and asked moderator mel to change the name.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Gotta admit: this was hard to find! I had to type "Olympic rivets" into the search box of youtube! :: phew ::

The I went to lunch...

ps: you can buy them from Outdoors Mart, too. Not sure about the tool to dress them, but probably...
Aage what is that syringe shaped metal bit in the foreground? What does it do?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Just my point of view. The dressing tool shown in the video is over $200.00. I've used a Drummel tool with a cutoff wheel. It may not be as perfect. If someone is looking that close at my rivets, they may be missing the big picture.
Don
Quote:
Aage what is that syringe shaped metal bit in the foreground? What does it do?
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #67
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Since you removed the inside skin I would go with buck rivet instead of Olympics. Olympics are basically big pop rivet and would not trust them too much in a long term. They are convenient if you have to do a job and don't want to remove the inside skin.

The syringe you can see is a cleco. It hold temporary the two sheet you will rivet. It is like a clamp.

I wouldn't go with plank sub floor. Structurally I don't think it's anything good and there is too much seams where the water can run. Though it might be possible to laminate it with fiberglass and epoxy.
Your Frame/Subfloor/Shell is the structure. Put the $$$ here. Delay or make cuts on other items. If your structure is rock solid the money spent in is then investment.
And it's a lot of job to redo it. Do it right the first time. Do the math. How much will you save going Plank instead of Ply. And add the fact that within 3 year you will have to back again to it. Plus all the impact it could have had on the other items in your AS. I suspect a plank sub floor would allow the body to twist.
I don't know for sure but wouldn't take any chance. Not for that. I myself planing to put up to $700 for my sub floor if I find a material that is up to the task (like nyloboard if the feedback are good enough - though a good quality ply with epoxy on edge and water sealant would sure do the job).

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Thanks Duff, I think you are right about the planks verses sheets thinking.

The cleco's looks like it might be handy. I think I will try to get some.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #69
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
You are welcome.

Clecos can be purchase from vintage trailer supply or aircraftspruce. And rivets as well.

Keep posting images...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Clecoes are amazing. If you're going to be doing any exterior panel replacement then I would consider them a necessity. But even for the interior panel work I did they were incredibly helpful, especuially since I do about 98% of the Airstream work alone.

I bought 50 1/8 and 50 5/32, and could have used 50 more of each
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
clecoes

Well I am sold, now to find a bucker!!!! Unclog your ears gutter brains, I said bucker.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
My wife was my bucking partner. She's great at it, and really enjoys it too.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Well I've got most of the windows working now. PO had riveted and screwed them closed. They aren't road ready but at least they will open. It looks like some kind of lynch-pin is missing where the regulator bar connects to the window frame rail. Without it the window can be lifted open by hand or by the pressure of air moving over the camper. All of the screens are missing, I think you can fabricate those...but I don't know I never tried. Some of the windows are missing the crank handles. They are shaped like a handle on a fishing reel. If anybody knows a good source of supply on them I need a few. Summer's in South Carolina are about as sticky and unpleasant as anyplace, and worse than most so I am glad I can get her opened up and aired out.

I finally finished removing the interior aluminum panels around the base and tossed all the old fiberglass insulation. The wiring still looks serviceable to me so I might try to keep it.

I see a number of rusty bolts with some kind of square nut going through the C-channel and the sub-floor. A friend is going to lend me his dremel tool and cutting wheels tomorrow. He also has a couple of cans of POR-15 he is going to give me free, never opened. I will probably take them by Lowe's and ask them to put them in the shaker for a few minutes. Those of you who remember 'Monster Garage' are singing FREEBIE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
For those of you doing similar things I find the most effective tools so far is:

Electric Drill (plug in kind)

#30 bit

Pliers (my Leatherman tool is usually most convenient)

Awl

Hammer

Metal Putty knife

Vice-Grips

Safety Glasses

3M dust mask (the kind with the exhale valve)
Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Sawsall

Don't forget a sawsall,A grinder(for rust on the frame,and I invested in a 5hp compressor for an airdrill and air riveter.The grinder has been the best purchase so far
Quote:
For those of you doing similar things I find the most effective tools so far is:

Electric Drill (plug in kind)

#30 bit

Pliers (my Leatherman tool is usually most convenient)

Awl

Hammer

Metal Putty knife

Vice-Grips

Safety Glasses

3M dust mask (the kind with the exhale valve)
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
This thread should give you a lot of info about your windows." 1964 mystery Hehr side Windows-Need Operators"
Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
pics

Quote:
Well I've got most of the windows working now. PO had riveted and screwed them closed. They aren't road ready but at least they will open. It looks like some kind of lynch-pin is missing where the regulator bar connects to the window frame rail. Without it the window can be lifted open by hand or by the pressure of air moving over the camper. All of the screens are missing, I think you can fabricate those...but I don't know I never tried. Some of the windows are missing the crank handles. They are shaped like a handle on a fishing reel. If anybody knows a good source of supply on them I need a few. Summer's in South Carolina are about as sticky and unpleasant as anyplace, and worse than most so I am glad I can get her opened up and aired out.

I finally finished removing the interior aluminum panels around the base and tossed all the old fiberglass insulation. The wiring still looks serviceable to me so I might try to keep it.

I see a number of rusty bolts with some kind of square nut going through the C-channel and the sub-floor. A friend is going to lend me his dremel tool and cutting wheels tomorrow. He also has a couple of cans of POR-15 he is going to give me free, never opened. I will probably take them by Lowe's and ask them to put them in the shaker for a few minutes. Those of you who remember 'Monster Garage' are singing FREEBIE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA...
Post some pics!!
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
I will have to take some photo's this weekend. Last weekend by the time I had made some progress and was ready to take pictures it was dark. I literally worked right up to dusk. Julie and the kids brought out KFC for a picnic but we ate it under starlight.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Kevin how do you get to that link? Looks like just what I need.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I'm too computer retarded too know how to add a link, but click on kevinb then statistics, then find all posts by kevinb, scroll down and you'll see it. The thread was started by member ts8501, so you can find it through him also. Easy to work on hard to find parts.
kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote