Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
In fact everyone, is there a Guiness world record for how many you can fit into a Flying Cloud, Lets make it so!
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It will be interesting watching you put yours together Don.

Two of my friends have recently acquired Flying Clouds (a '52 and a '53) and will be redoing them over the coming months. I'm sure they will be watching what you are doing very closely. I'm just very happy that I am past that stage and am using ours. Now, if another one was to come my way inexpensively it would be fun to redo it differently than I've done mine now. I could take all the learning I've done on what works and what I'd do differently and have a lot of fun doing another. One qualifier - it would need to be done without a finish time-line so I could take my time, one option I didn't have with our current baby.

Barry
Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
It will be interesting watching you put yours together Don.

Two of my friends have recently acquired Flying Clouds (a '52 and a '53) and will be redoing them over the coming months. I'm sure they will be watching what you are doing very closely. I'm just very happy that I am past that stage and am using ours. Now, if another one was to come my way inexpensively it would be fun to redo it differently than I've done mine now. I could take all the learning I've done on what works and what I'd do differently and have a lot of fun doing another. One qualifier - it would need to be done without a finish time-line so I could take my time, one option I didn't have with our current baby.

Barry
Seems like the key to that is to have one you can camp in while you restore the other. And then maybe a third in case your first one has a problem...

(Pretty easy to see how people end up with multiple Airstreams, right? )
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Seems like the key to that is to have one you can camp in while you restore the other. And then maybe a third in case your first one has a problem...(Pretty easy to see how people end up with multiple Airstreams, right? )
Yup,

Glad we have one to camp in! Love our Bambi! But, I am glad there just isn't enough room in the yard for another project!

I am sure Don will use all the things he learned restoring the Bambi while working on the Flying Cloud. We know a few things he will do differently already! Now if the weather would only improve to be outside!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #105

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
In fact everyone, is there a Guiness world record for how many you can fit into a Flying Cloud, Lets make it so!
Don
At Trout Lake last year I think I had ten in the Caravel, and it wasn't even crowded yet - no telling how many you can fit in the FC!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Seems like the key to that is to have one you can camp in while you restore the other. And then maybe a third in case your first one has a problem...

(Pretty easy to see how people end up with multiple Airstreams, right? )
I just need to convince my wife that I need two more

Barry
Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Does anyone know how to get Guinnes to trout lake. Maybe we could set a Bambi World Record. Steph as I remember we were two of the ten. Life is good!
Don
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Color and texture study

Here is a 3d color and texture study for the FC.

Don East's Art
SketchUp by Dawn

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L shape 55 Flying Cloud 4.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	58863  
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
With Airstreams what's even better than pink flamingos?

A real pink slip.

Ours now has one.

Don
Old 12-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
The Cloud has not been forgotten. We've managed to collect some more parts for this project. Thanks to our friends. I'm looking ahead to this spring now. 63 Bambi is tucked away in the garage for the winter. Our first snow is expected tomorrow. Happy Hollidays to all.
Don
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
next try

Well nothing got done last season on the Cloud because of many distractions. I'm going to try again. I spent the last week cleaning and reorganizing the garage. I'm just about ready to role the frame in and begin. We have collected many parts an pieces for this trailer. I'm planning on adding gray, black, and clean water tanks inside the frame. I'm thinking on making my own tanks out of fiber glass. Any and all comments on fiber glass tanks would be welcome. Also ways of plumbing these tanks would be appreciated. If you have covered this in your Blog, etc. please pass on your site and or page locations.
Thanks Don
Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
You know Don, I've been thinking of making fiberglass tanks too... it doesn't seem too difficult. There was an article in the Vintage Airstream newsletter some years ago that I found on the internet site... I'll see if I can find the month / year for you. This man even made a "split" tank... one half for grey, the other black!

I guess the hard part is putting in the fittings?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Tanks

Marc, thanks for the input on the Airstream article on Fiber glass tanks. My plan is to build negative patterns out of plywood to lay up the glass. My current thought is to put the first part of the plumbing fittings in during the initial grass layup. I'm also thinking of making one negative pattern for all three of the tanks. I would consider having a section on construction with pictures if there is enough interest in the process.
Don
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
It is good to see that the 'Cloud project is about to get a kick start again.

As for tanks I thought about building my own but it came down to cost versus time. By spending some hours on the internet I was able to obtain gray and black ABS tanks and Poly fresh water tank for a total of $400. I placed the order on a Monday and had them laying in the back of the shop 10 days later. No mess to deal with, no issues with building bucks, and the only thing I did to keep the cost down was for the gray and black I took existing tanks that were close and made them work. The fresh water tank was also an off the shelf unit but I had the manufacturer do the inlet/outlet fittings spin weld in place. The ABS tanks were glue in. Of course that fact that I'm not particularly handy with fiberglass and find I can create more mess than any other five people combined was a deciding factor for me as well.

Looking forward to watching your updates. And next year I'll be smarter about watching for the Area 33 announcement when it comes up so we can hopefully attend and meet you folks.

Barry
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Marc, thanks for the input on the Airstream article on Fiber glass tanks. My plan is to build negative patterns out of plywood to lay up the glass. My current thought is to put the first part of the plumbing fittings in during the initial grass layup. I'm also thinking of making one negative pattern for all three of the tanks. I would consider having a section on construction with pictures if there is enough interest in the process.
Don
Definitely interest in the process, would love to see whatever documentation you're willing to put together, thanks!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Holding tanks & Plumbing design

Here is the Holding tank and plumbing design for out 55 Flying Cloud. The trailer layout is shown in a light transparent image to show the location of all the parts. Color coding; Black for black tank, Grey for Grey water, Blue for fresh water and cold water pipes, Red for hot water heater and Hot water pipes. Please feel free to comment on the pros and cons of this design.
Thanks Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Cloud tank design trans 1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	79785   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Cloud tank design trans 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	79786  

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I'm probably going to make my black tank out of fiberglass. I'd go a different direction for the fresh tank as there are maybe some health issues and certainly taste issues there. I'm using ABS gray and fresh.

My black will be in the original location on my Caravanner, rear curb corner and above the floor. I'll use a moldless composite technique called stitch and glue, making the core out of either foam or plywood wired together at seams. Then the inside will get glassed, the wire pulled out, and the outside then glassed. I've done a couple small boats and a few tanks this way and it works well. Pretty sure I'll use West System epoxy as I'm comfy using it.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #118
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Don, Great design on the tanks, as I know nothing about how to place for weight ect. I do like that the water heater is under the sink and next to the shower. Great for keeping water useage to a min. when boondocking. I hate waiting for hot water and watching the cold water go down the drain or having to save it.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Blue Pearl, good point about having hot water heater as close to shower as possible to save water. I was trying to follow the concept of "wet wall" used in architecture to keep the cost of things down. I hadn't thought about the travel distance of hot water travel and conservation of water. Boondocking is on of our favorite things and this is an important item. I think I might play with the design a little more to see if I can make greater improvements. Thanks Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Don, Great design on the tanks, as I know nothing about how to place for weight ect. I do like that the water heater is under the sink and next to the shower. Great for keeping water useage to a min. when boondocking. I hate waiting for hot water and watching the cold water go down the drain or having to save it.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
pbearsailor, Stitch and glue sound interesting. I've not heard of that technique before. Can you give me an internet referrence to study on this technique? I Think I might try designing a modular approach to this technique so different sized tanks could be built from a set of standard mold pieces. The ability of taking the mold pieces appart also allows for good storage of the mold parts.
Thanks for the info
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
I'm probably going to make my black tank out of fiberglass. I'd go a different direction for the fresh tank as there are maybe some health issues and certainly taste issues there. I'm using ABS gray and fresh.

My black will be in the original location on my Caravanner, rear curb corner and above the floor. I'll use a moldless composite technique called stitch and glue, making the core out of either foam or plywood wired together at seams. Then the inside will get glassed, the wire pulled out, and the outside then glassed. I've done a couple small boats and a few tanks this way and it works well. Pretty sure I'll use West System epoxy as I'm comfy using it.

cheers,
steve