Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Uh Don,... what's with the pink Flamingo robot head about to hit you on yours? Wow, now that was great to see! Are you putting the bellypan on prior to coming down, or just going to tuck it up there?

I'm not sure you're math is right... the trailer's only 55 years old.. why are you calling it 69? I believe you're about the same age as the trailer... in your 50's.. maybe that pink flamingo DID hit you and mis construe your math.... you're as young as any of us!

Don't forget, you still have Claudia's Caddy to do!

Looking great from here! Glad to see no snow on the ground either.
Take care!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #202
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Marc, thanks for the great and fun comments. The Pink Flamingo is actually my pry bar for lifting and moving the shell. I hope you all are having a great Holiday. Here is my art Web page. I though you guys and gals might enjoy this.
Home (Don's Studio)
The lessons are on you tube in 6 to 7 ten minute segments. More to come.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #203
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Very cool Don. I watched both of the beginning videos. I'll watch the remainder later today when I have more time. Having taught art and design for years myself, I like your approach. I'll bet your students found it less intimidating and easy to get started.

Check out some of my creative works at: creativ-edge.blogspot.com

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Brad, Thanks for taking the time to watch my videos on art. I took a look at your work. The cookbook cove is right on. I'll have a new lesson after the holidays. One reason for doing the videos is I felt it could be helpful for those doing home schooling. Comments in the future would be greatly appreciated. What levels did you teach?
Don
Old 12-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #205
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
your eating up all my time

Well Don, I have been following your work all along and finally decided to push my 56 Cloud to the front of the line....then follow your work the best I can. ("Toasties'" thread too.) Then you show me your drawing site on You Tube. Now I am hooked there too. I only have so much time......sigh.

A great job all the way 'round.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #206
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Melody Ranch, Thanks for the great support. It was a great feeling to get the FC shell back on the frame. And Thanks for looking at Don's Studio. Your 1947 Liner is so so cool. If I ever get my wifes 48 Cadillac Sedanette finished. We'll have to come down just so we can hook it up and take pictures. As you can probably tell we are real suckers for fine design.
Don
Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #207
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Well folks, I am anxious for more of the Flying Cloud to get worked on... here is the "rub" we had to move my sweet Bambi out of the garage to put the FC in there! Now she is sitting outside in the cold.... but to comfort her we keep a little heater going in her! Yikes, we need a bigger garage! (Don't let Don know I said this!)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Smile

I heard that
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
Well folks, I am anxious for more of the Flying Cloud to get worked on... here is the "rub" we had to move my sweet Bambi out of the garage to put the FC in there! Now she is sitting outside in the cold.... but to comfort her we keep a little heater going in her! Yikes, we need a bigger garage! (Don't let Don know I said this!)
Old 12-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
All wives should say this, and often

You done good finding this one Don.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #210
3 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1960 24' Tradewind
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
No response on this the first time. Any body have thoughts on how I might research who and where Rudy might be?
Don
Did AS make there own frames? I have two 56 CA. trailers and they both have numbers on the bumper that don't necessarily match the trailer they are on.
I'm sure having fun reading and learning from all these posts. I was in Yreka on Christmas eve. Maybe we can get together the next time I'm in the area.
H
range or parts
Dometic 50 or parts
flyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrc View Post
I'm sure having fun reading and learning from all these posts. I was in Yreka on Christmas eve. Maybe we can get together the next time I'm in the area.
H
Flyrc,

Thanks ~ Don really enjoys working on his projects! Besides it keeps him "out of my hair".... Btw, do give us a jingle when in Yreka next time. We offer parking for your Airstream (either out front of our house, which is fine for a night...) or down our long skinny driveway.... Airstream guests are welcome! Depending on where you are going, we are a good 1/2 way point!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #212
3 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1960 24' Tradewind
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Flyrc,

Thanks ~ Don really enjoys working on his projects! Besides it keeps him "out of my hair".... Btw, do give us a jingle when in Yreka next time. We offer parking for your Airstream (either out front of our house, which is fine for a night...) or down our long skinny driveway.... Airstream guests are welcome! Depending on where you are going, we are a good 1/2 way point!
We make the journey from Yakima WA. to Auburn CA. twice a year to visit my 96 year young Dad. He still drives and lives independently. Our next trip will be in June or early July. We look forward to meeting both of you and seeing the project. I'm just starting on the floor replacement on my 56 FC. I have a long way to go to catch up with Don. As soon as the snow melts, I'll get to work.
range or parts
Dometic 50 or parts
flyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #213
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Wally H. Yes on the stop by. Let us know a little ahead of when you might be through this area. The Jordans stopped by on their way to Baja. We are on our way to Baja now also. So no more Flying Cloud work for the month of January. Be careful Airstreams can be an inspiration for spur of the moment events.
Don
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #214
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Rivet process begins

Claudia and I have started the process of aligning the shell to the new floor. We are currently drilling from the old outer shell through the new "C" channel connected to the floor and placing Clecos. I'll ad some new picture is the next couple of days.
Don
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #215
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dorchester , Ontario
Frame Rails

Hi NorCal
Can you tell me what size your ladder frame side rails are and the crossmembers.it is hard to tell from the pictures,is the complete frame made from closed tubing or is part of it c channel to save weight? Thanks
Vintage One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
The main frame rails are 2"x4" and they are an enclosed box. The box is a folded box with a seam at the bottom of the frame. There are two types of cross members a "C" type channel that is 2"x4" the gauge of the steel is much lighter than the main box frame. The other cross members are 2"x2" angle iron. I can mike the thickness if you would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage One View Post
Hi NorCal
Can you tell me what size your ladder frame side rails are and the crossmembers.it is hard to tell from the pictures,is the complete frame made from closed tubing or is part of it c channel to save weight? Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Aligning the shell and floor

Aligning the shell to the floor turned out to be quite a chore. If you have been following this project much, you know that I started out with a trailer that was a shell, almost no floor, OK frame. I bought this trailer because I felt I could do what ever I wanted and no one would complain about my ruining a good trailer. Because the floor was about 90 percent gone, I had no patterns to work from. Once the frame was repaired and painted I began to work at creating some patterns etc. to layout the floor. You all know the old adage measure twice and cut once. I measured and measured and measured and laid out what I hoped would be correct. I installed the plywood on the frame and bolted everything down. My neighbor Tom and my Son Yale helped me lower the shell down onto the floor on two different days. It was obvious that my measuring and pattern making was in the ball bark but not a home run. The biggest problem was the realization that the shell had sagged. The result of this was that the two ends of the shell didn't come in contact with the floor. My basic reaction was, "This is not good". I spent several days jacking corners, jacking the frame, attaching different parts of the shell. Unattaching and unjacking different parts. For a while nothing looked like it was going to work. After much thought and several dreams or night mares on the subject I came to some conclusions. An important note is that no belly pan had been attached. The belly pan would have taken too much flex out of the frame and the floor. Here is what I came up with.
The middle section of the body matched the floor fine. So I need to buy at least 100 more clecos so I could attach the center sections and get that part stable. Then I could work out toward the ends stretching, jacking, and pulling things together. I worked a little toward the back then toward the front. Back and forth adding clecos as I went along. Slowly and things began to align. Finally everything was attached and the trailer fit once more. I have allowed the trailer to sit in this fashion for two weeks. This has allowed the trailer to stabilize. I hope! I plan to check out one section at a time, If all stays put than I'll work on the belly pan for that section. Again working from one end to the other.
The only photo of any of this process is the one shot here of a lot of clecos running down on side of the trailer. Also the back of the trailer had been damaged. The second photo shows how its looking now. The back is matching pretty well.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	End Cap removal 015.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	96773   Click image for larger version

Name:	End Cap removal 001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	96774  

Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Good Job !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
One just can't have enough cleco's. Your always 50 short, no matter how many you have.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Thanks Chris.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
Good Job !