Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
'54 Flying Cloud - Complete Overhaul

All right,

I've been lurking and gathering info for far too long now. I guess it's time for me to get my thread started so I can be held accountable for my progress (or lack thereof).

My wife and I bought a '54 Flying Cloud back in October of 2005 (It's S/N 7692) with hopes of quickly getting it usable and on the road... well you know how that goes. Looks good. Get it home. Check it out. Why is the floor pieced together like that? Let's see. Oh. It's pieced together because someone did surgery to the floor to remove the rotted parts. And look! They put 2X4's in place of the crossmembers that were rusted away. Reality sets in. Contemplate dumping trailer. Can't. Already in love with it. Get out tools. Get out checkbook. Get to work.

So far here is what I've done: (I'll expand on each if anyone's interested)
1. Removed entire interior
2. Removed floor
3. Removed shell
4. Frame repaired (all new crossmembers and out riggers as well as a new coupler)
5. Removed axle

I'll post pictures when I can (hard drive with pictures on it just took a dump). Until then if anyone wants to take a look at what I've got, here's a link http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ud3/index.html

Steve Schory
Cloud 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Welcome to the forums. Good luck on your restoration.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
If it's any consolation, you're in good company.... and you'll have a gem when you're done. Keep us posted!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9
All right,

I've been lurking and gathering info for far too long now. I guess it's time for me to get my thread started so I can be held accountable for my progress (or lack thereof).

My wife and I bought a '54 Flying Cloud back in October of 2005 (It's S/N 7692) with hopes of quickly getting it usable and on the road... well you know how that goes. Looks good. Get it home. Check it out. Why is the floor pieced together like that? Let's see. Oh. It's pieced together because someone did surgery to the floor to remove the rotted parts. And look! They put 2X4's in place of the crossmembers that were rusted away. Reality sets in. Contemplate dumping trailer. Can't. Already in love with it. Get out tools. Get out checkbook. Get to work.

So far here is what I've done: (I'll expand on each if anyone's interested)
1. Removed entire interior
2. Removed floor
3. Removed shell
4. Frame repaired (all new crossmembers and out riggers as well as a new coupler)
5. Removed axle

I'll post pictures when I can (hard drive with pictures on it just took a dump). Until then if anyone wants to take a look at what I've got, here's a link http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ud3/index.html

Steve Schory
And??
Sounds like a vintage Airstream to me.....
Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your project.
Much info to be had here.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Welcome from another 54FC owner!

Hi-

Sounds like you're into pretty deep- good luck!

I've got one that I absolutely love!!! Its my favorite Airstream from my collection- and I think one of the best models to have, great size, incredible layout, just right in SO many ways.

Yours looks newer than mine in that year, but I guess that I have some differences maybe from ordering or supply- like the side marker lights- you have the beehives, mine are wedge shape- I like yours better, maybe I'll change.

You also have the whaletail- I also like that better, (am I sounding jealous?) and thats why I think mine is older- I had a 53 before and this is more like it, but has the angle and is 22' and not 21'...

Mine has also, a very original interior-

Name:   54FCStove.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:   54FCSofa:Dinette.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:   54FCLookBack.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:   54FCRef&Heat.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:   54FCHead.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:   54FCsconce:zolatone.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  30.3 KB

Lets see some project pix! Mine is getting very light improvements! I got lucky- had only some minor body mount bolts to replace, and its for camping, not beauty contests in my case, so no frame off for me- thank God! Again, welcome!
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Steve - it looks like you got an excellent "core" to start from and there's a huge satisfaction level when you are done, knowing that it is now what it is because of your own efforts. I was fortunate that parts of mine were done when I got it but I also spent almost 5 months of nights and weekends as well as a 10 day stint over the Christmas holidays thrashing to get ours to where we were okay with it. In the end we are extremely happy and the trailer is tailored to our specific needs. We'll be watching for updates.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
makeover

We just recently bought a 55 FC. I'm just at the gather information stage. I'll be very interested in you project. I hope you keep your thread supplies with lots of pictures as you work. My first question and would like to have from you is, Do you have a floor plan of your trailer. Do you have any original literature.
Thanks Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
54 Fc

I am always amazed at how different FC's can look even when they are the same year! I do NOT have the whale tail so I believe mine is really a 53 leftover. My wet bath is a different layout too. I will never admit to how much money I've spent on Pearl but she's been worth every penny!!!!

I've tried to attach some photo's but they are too large. (got to figure out how to make them manageable for this forum)

Patti
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl54FC
I am always amazed at how different FC's can look even when they are the same year! I do NOT have the whale tail so I believe mine is really a 53 leftover. My wet bath is a different layout too. I will never admit to how much money I've spent on Pearl but she's been worth every penny!!!!

I've tried to attach some photo's but they are too large. (got to figure out how to make them manageable for this forum)

Patti
I think if it doesn't have the whale tale then it's only 21' . . . or maybe ohio made them 22' long without the tale. What's the serial number? I, and I'm sure a bunch of others, would like to see the pictures - you should be able to reduce the picture size in what ever program you use to view them . . . need to know what program you're using . . .

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
Pictures

I found the back-up to my dead hard drive (can't stress enough to back-up, you never know when the electronic gremlins will strike!). The first one is the Cloud's homecoming. Next is a shot of the interior with parts of the floor removed to see what we were dealing with (this is where the shock, denial, anger, and acceptance occurred). Views of the rear and front (respectively) with the floor removed. A shot of the rusted crossmembers and the 2X4's fitted in place to hide the damage. And finally a close up shot of how rusted some of the crossmembers really were.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
retry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9
I found the back-up to my dead hard drive (can't stress enough to back-up, you never know when the electronic gremlins will strike!). The first one is the Cloud's homecoming. Next is a shot of the interior with parts of the floor removed to see what we were dealing with (this is where the shock, denial, anger, and acceptance occurred). Views of the rear and front (respectively) with the floor removed. A shot of the rusted crossmembers and the 2X4's fitted in place to hide the damage. And finally a close up shot of how rusted some of the crossmembers really were.

Steve
Lets try this again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 023.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	22387   Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 025.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	22388  

Name:	New pictures to be printed 047.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	22389   Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 048.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	22390  

Name:	New pictures to be printed 055.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	22391   Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 059.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	22392  

Old 06-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
Hi-

Sounds like you're into pretty deep- good luck!

I've got one that I absolutely love!!! Its my favorite Airstream from my collection- and I think one of the best models to have, great size, incredible layout, just right in SO many ways.

Yours looks newer than mine in that year, but I guess that I have some differences maybe from ordering or supply- like the side marker lights- you have the beehives, mine are wedge shape- I like yours better, maybe I'll change.

You also have the whaletail- I also like that better, (am I sounding jealous?) and thats why I think mine is older- I had a 53 before and this is more like it, but has the angle and is 22' and not 21'...

Mine has also, a very original interior-

Attachment 22365Attachment 22366Attachment 22367Attachment 22368Attachment 22369Attachment 22370

Lets see some project pix! Mine is getting very light improvements! I got lucky- had only some minor body mount bolts to replace, and its for camping, not beauty contests in my case, so no frame off for me- thank God! Again, welcome!
Millionairstream,

As far as the year is concerned I'm just going on what I was told when I bought it and what I found already posted on the archives page. I wouldn't doubt it if it's newer. I'm still confused as to what the original layout was. I haven't been able to find anything showing the exact layout that was in it when we got it. That's O.K. because I plan on making changes to make it more user friendly. I'm going to try and keep as much of the original style and feel as possible, but I'm not going to hesitate to make changes that I feel will improve the usability, or functionality of the trailer (insert gasps from purists here). I'll post more pics of the progress I've made later.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
Core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Steve - it looks like you got an excellent "core" to start from and there's a huge satisfaction level when you are done, knowing that it is now what it is because of your own efforts. I was fortunate that parts of mine were done when I got it but I also spent almost 5 months of nights and weekends as well as a 10 day stint over the Christmas holidays thrashing to get ours to where we were okay with it. In the end we are extremely happy and the trailer is tailored to our specific needs. We'll be watching for updates.
Barry

Barry,

I don't know about have an 'excellent "core" ' to start with, but I have a good shell to work with . If it weren't for the condition of the shell and the prodding of my wife "Oh, it's sooo cute. I know you can make it work." I would have seriously considered just flipping it when we got it home. I know in the long run it will be something to be proud of and something I can pass on down to my kids. That is assuming I get it reassembled by then.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
We just recently bought a 55 FC. I'm just at the gather information stage. I'll be very interested in you project. I hope you keep your thread supplies with lots of pictures as you work. My first question and would like to have from you is, Do you have a floor plan of your trailer. Do you have any original literature.
Thanks Don
Don,

I don't have any literature with my specific floor plan on it, but I do have some material that I will email you. And let me just say that I've been following your Bambi thread and really like the work you've put into it! My hat's off to you and others (Uwe, Carlos, and Jim in particular) who've inspired me the keep the work going.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
ouch, you must have been shocked.
I have detailed measurements of my 21' frame (and right now the frame and shell are separated (they remain friends, and I even think they have reconcilable differences (as opposed to irreconcilable) with some work of course) . . . So anyway if you need any measurements or photographs or ?, I'd be glad to help.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I'll second the ouch on the frame. I'm afraid to look at mine. I know it will be bad. Thanks for the kudo. Everybody on the forum has kept me going as well. It's nice to think that I might pass a little of that on.
Don
Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
Ouch!

Yeah, I guess I should have known better when I saw the Washington License plate, but hey, blinded by aluminum. Any way here's a little more on what I've done so far.
After I removed the whole interior, I removed the lower interior panels. (I didn't remove all of the interior panels thinking that it wouldn't comprise the structural integrity of the shell as much. I plan on removing them for the rest of the interior refurb after I get the shell back on.) Then I attached cross bracing to the exposed ribs. 2X4's were attached perpendicular to the cross bracing down the length of the trailer. I attached some 2X4 scrap pieces to the bracing and used those as lifting points where I used a couple of bottle jacks to lift the shell up. All of the rivets around the bottom perimeter were drilled out and any remaining bolts goint through the channel were cut off. Once the shell was up I slid in two 4X4's that extended out past the shell 2 feet on each side.

More to come

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New pictures to be printed 421.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	22485   Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 114.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	22486  

Name:	New pictures to be printed 120.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	22487   Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 435.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	22488  

Old 06-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Cloud9, thanks for the pictures. I'll be watching every step of the way. My plan is to watch your progress to get me motivated to redo my 55 FC. I don't think I'll do much until next spring. So you should be well along by the time I go to work on mine. After working for 10 months on the restoration of our Bambi, I need to get some work done around the house. I'd like to repaint my truck also.
Don
Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
Back on track

Alright, I knew would be too busy to post during the summer. But now things are winding down at work and I can get back on track.

After the shell was lifted the frame was pulled out and taken in to be welded. I wanted to do the welding myself but my wife wanted to have a "Professional" do it. Sooo... I took it to someone who came highly recommended and had all new crossmembers and outriggers welded on. I won't go in to the hassles of getting small town businesses to work on any type of schedule. Needless to say after 4 weeks of sitting at his shop the welding is completed and I get the frame back to my work area.

I started painting the frame using Eastwood rust encapsulating paint. Got all of the top and sides that I could reach easily painted so I flip the frame over to finish the job. As I'm doing that one of the new welds breaks! Further inspection of the frame shows partial penetration on almost all of the welds! Welder is called back and finally returns to fix the job after two weeks of angry calls and threats of a trip to small claims court!

So now I'm waiting for a little cooler weather to finish painting. I think I'll probably need more paint too. Two quarts just isn't quite enough.

Any way here are the rest of the pictures I have of the removal of the frame from the shell (It's always nice to have some helpful Rangers to do the heavy lifting ).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New pictures to be printed 440.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	25066   Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 442.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	25067  

Name:	Amy swimming lessons 062.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	25068  
Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Crestline , California
Not all the pictures made it. I guess I'll have to sit down and figure the easiest way to upload pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New pictures to be printed 440.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	25069   Click image for larger version

Name:	New pictures to be printed 442.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	25070  

Name:	New pictures to be printed 444.jpg