Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Harrisonburg , Virginia
1995 rear end separation

thinking of buying 1995 airstream rear twins. Is this model year prone to rear end separation or any other major issues that I need to check?
frob222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
All Airstreams including the new ones are "prone" to rear end separation due to a really poor and unresolved design - at least if you read through this forum long enough. I doubt if the newer models have exhibited that issue yet, but in a few years we'll probably be reading about how "my 2016 has rear end sag" or some such. I understand that in the last couple of years or so AS has attempted to address this problem. Water can find it's way into the plywood floor at the rear of the trailer (and other areas, like the door) and begins to rot the floor and rust away at the frame. Since this area is hidden away the owner may not be aware of the problem. So, do the jump test on the back of the trailer and get on your hands and knees and poke around looking for soft spots and signs of water leakage. In a '95 you'll likely find something, but if the trailer has been well cared for - i.e. kept dry - it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The older the trailer the more likely you are to find water damage/rot/rust. Do your research though before spending the bucks.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
You didn't provide much information so it is difficult to say. Rear end separation is more prominent on the longer trailers. But all Airstreams have the same Achilles heal. It is from the water damage to the rear floor which allows the shell to effectively separate from the frame in the back. It isn't necessarily an indication of frame rot but if your floor is rotten the frame will be rusty. Other factors to consider is location, maintenance and exposure. A 95' in the Southwest that was stored under cover may be like new, but if it has spent its entire life on the North West coast or New England and stored out side it could be suspect. My 1977 26' Argosy was only rotten on the roadside rear corner where it had experienced some damage. The Front under the water tank was also completely rotted out but the area around the edges were good with no rot.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote