Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Wow. So much progress in so little time. I also vote for doing it the way you want it, partly because I'm fascinated to see the results.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth
Wow. So much progress in so little time. I also vote for doing it the way you want it, partly because I'm fascinated to see the results.

Tom
Thank you. I forget that I started this thing June 3rd, I guess all of the late nights make it seem much longer.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
New pics...toilet and basin shelf installed over new flooring. The new PD Converter is on its way, as is the furnace. Working on getting the exterior skins from a donor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3291199567.png
Views:	153
Size:	738.4 KB
ID:	138134   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3190703246.png
Views:	138
Size:	771.9 KB
ID:	138135  

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Day 4
Lots of stripping today.
What combination of stripping chemicals did you use. I've read several threads comparing methods and stripping chemicals, none of which seemed as easy as you made it look.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad

What combination of stripping chemicals did you use. I've read several threads comparing methods and stripping chemicals, none of which seemed as easy as you made it look.
It werent easy! Haha...ok, the actual stripping wasn't too bad. I used citristrip (gel) and lot's of it! The spray worked better, but got WAY too expensive to continue. Buy the gallon size of gel, and a few cans of the spray on. Do it in the evening, out of the sunlight and the more humidity the better. I found that when I did it during the day the stripper just dried up. The key is the wait time...you will see the vinyl gas off and really start to bubble...that's when you don the gloves and start peeling it off in sheets. After it's mostly off, recoat everything with gobs of stripper paying particular attention to the rivets. That will remove the glue, and lift the vinyl from behind the rivet heads. If you have any glue remaining, use liberal amounts of laquer thinner or goof off (laquer thinner worked as well as the goof off but was much cheaper) . After all of that, it was on to the polishing...which totally sucked! Good job for prisoners or Guantanamo detainees. I used a variable speed buffer (2 of them I burned one out) avail. at Harbor Freight Tools for $35 and heres the key: wool bonnets. 6 of them, and I washed them daily. The first cut was made with rubbing compound, and followed up with Blue Magic aluminum polish. I gotta tell you that I don't think the compound made one bit of difference. Set the buffer to low speed and burn the polish in (you'll feel it), follow up with several more passes with clean bonnets and more Blue Magic and you'll see the haze lift. You can see much deeper on the areas where you get it right...and just strive for that on all panels. Overall, i'm happy with the results. It's not perfect, but what really is?
Matt
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes
A few pics of the interior polish job and the rear floor tear out.
On this center picture...did you take the shell off?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad

On this center picture...did you take the shell off?
No...shell on. The frame and floor were in really good condition except for the front and rear section subfloor...PO let it leak from burst pipes and did not air it out. He also hacked huge holes in both inner and outer skins with a sawzall to get to the pipes! Would have been easier to just run a new pipe instead of going all McGruber on the skins I would think.