Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
1973 rehab less than full monte

I have threatened to start a thread on my renovation of a 1973 Tradewind. With all the great and complete threads out there I don’t know what more I can add but when I have something that could be of interest I will post it.

I want to do the job of getting this trailer in shape right but I don’t want to have the trailer off the road for too long. I want to get this one up and out and about and find another to do the dream, as has been written about. Waiting for book to arrive.

Anyway, below are a few pictures of how I got access to the bolts and screws in the C channel in the rear bathroom that I believe has kept me from going up and having to disassemble the window frame etc. to remove the center panel.

What I did was use a Fein multi tool to cut the panel about 6 inches up from the floor. I used a straight edge when I could and back it with a quarter inch piece of plywood to keep cutter away from what I couldn’t see, when I could.

After the floor is put in and elevator bolted down, I will slide some 10” painted aluminum flashing up under the panels and rivet it. It will have a good overlap. It will then be covered by what goes in front of it. Either the original black tank if I go that way or a platform of some sort if I don’t, choosing to go with the black tank under the floor. The shower and closet will cover the rest.

Anyway maybe it will help someone. By the way, I used to think the multi tool was a gimmicky tool sold to DIYers with high hopes. Well, I was wrong this tool is helping me get the job done all over the place. Look at it in use for cutting into the belly pan to open it up for a grey tank. Me like it.

Tony Scolaro
Rogue River, Oregon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0433.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	179861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0461.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	179862  

Name:	DSCF0476.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	179863  
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
The belly pan being cut with multi tool.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0500.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	179866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0504.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	179867  

Name:	DSCF0510.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	179868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0516.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	179869  

Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think that's a great idea. Access panels to get at things. I have actually given thought to doing that on my Argosy. But my thought is to do it from the outside. Therefor not having to remove the bathroom fixtures.
Since it is painted, it would just be another row of rivets.
I haven't found the need yet. If and when, I will do my best to come up with something to prevent any water from getting in behind the infamous bumper storage compartment.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
One outside storage compartment I want to change is to add a abs pipe with cover on the end under the trailer to slide the stinky slinky into. Now it goes in the bumper compartment along with the shore power. The interfere with each other and probably not the most sanitary. The only trouble is the right angle end.

Tony