Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
1973 Excella frame

My frame is rusty and I think I have rear end separation and maybe a bad axel. SOOO
I found a 34 foot frame from a newer as rollover AND
was wondering how hard it would be to use the 34ft frame on the 31ft shell and keep the threee feet to use to mount a gene box? Thanks
filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Wow. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out. The newer model 34's are going to have a wider frame! The wheel well's are going to be an issue. Axles in the wrong place potentially for the weight distribution. It could easily end up a bigger hassle than just fixing the stuff that's wrong with your existing unit and hauling a genny in the bed of your truck. The problems you list are pretty typical for 70's units. I'd advise going that way first!

Good luck!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
one word.. tape measure
Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
That is two words Daniel! lol

Filterman,
I like the way you think. I hate to be a nay sayer, but the frame on a new 34'er is also wider than your 73s frame. I'm sure it COULD be made to work as a replacement frame, but it would probably cost as much to modify as building a whole new frame from scratch. Unless the main frame rails are completely rusted through in several places, I'd be willing to bet your old frame can be made new again. I recommend you read more of the "Repairing floor and/or frame" threads here on the forums. There are a lot of guys that have renewed old frames, made modifications etc... I also think you should give Colin Hyde or Uve a call and ask for some advice from the pros. I also recommend Colin Hyde for axles. See "my very own axle thread" Good luck with your restoration!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterman View Post
My frame is rusty and I think I have rear end separation and maybe a bad axel. SOOO
I found a 34 foot frame from a newer as rollover AND
was wondering how hard it would be to use the 34ft frame on the 31ft shell and keep the threee feet to use to mount a gene box? Thanks
Hey Filterman,
I'm afraid everyone is right here & it'll be more trouble & $ to make a 34' chassis fit. I've done numerous frame replacement/upgrades & it all is very possible. In order to make a reasonable assessment, you'll need to drop the bellypan & remove all the vermin infested insulation (they're all like that ). Depending on how bad it is, it may be possible & cost effective to cut the bad sections out & scab new sections in. It is not necessary to buy the sections from a dealer either as a local steel fabricator should have the capability to make what is required.
Post some photos if possible.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
So we are all in agreement to much work to modify the 34 to fit and a genny mounted on the bumper is too much weight hanging off the rear. Go with fixing your original frame.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
From another post...
Quote:
a 34 foot frame from a roll over for 300 bucks
For that kind of money, if the frame is not wracked from the accident or corroded badly already, I'd be tempted to make a hybrid between the two. Formed steel can be expensive if its a one-horse town.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
From another post...

For that kind of money, if the frame is not wracked from the accident or corroded badly already, I'd be tempted to make a hybrid between the two. Formed steel can be expensive if its a one-horse town.
As my mom used to say.. That's using your head for something besides as a hat rack.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
ok then I will have to work with what I got luckily I can weld and have welder but I still want a rack in the back for gene and grill. I guess I could add it on and move the bumper back and add some lights I wonder what wasagachris paid for his raw steel for his new frame? I will have the bananna skins off this weekend and take a look at the frame. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
When I got steel it wasn't all that expensive. If I remember correctly 20' of 5Cx6.7 (5 inch C channel, 6.7 lbs per foot) was $75. One place had the 40' lengths too and those were $125 I think. Something like that.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
ok then I will have to work with what I got luckily I can weld and have welder but I still want a rack in the back for gene and grill. I guess I could add it on and move the bumper back and add some lights I wonder what wasagachris paid for his raw steel for his new frame? I will have the bananna skins off this weekend and take a look at the frame. Thanks everyone.
Filterman adding weight to the rear of the trailer is a bad idea. Keep the genny in the back of the truck. It's been said before but I'll say it again. It will cause too much stress and flex on the frame. This will lead to rear end seperation and possibly frame damage. It will also drastically change the geometry for towing and remove too much tongue weight resulting in a loss of traction to the TV and put more weight on the steer axle of the TV. It's a bad idea all around.
My main frame rails, axle plates,most of my crossmembers,rear kick plates and a lot of angle iron for waste and fresh tanks I had made my a friend of mine. I used the barter system and It cost me about $200 in trade.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Quote:
I think you are getting some good advice here, but I'm not sure you understand the problems you could create by mounting a generator on the rear bumper. Read this thread, especially post #7, to get a little better understanding of the affects of extra weight behind the axles. And, that thread was only about hauling a couple of bicycles on the rear bumper!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterman
my frame is rusty and i think i have rear end separation and maybe a bad axel. Sooo
i found a 34 foot frame from a newer as rollover and
older airstreams may be found at airstream sales above charlestown, sc, mary was wife and now i believe son runs shop! They had a field of older airstreams for parts, son is very good with updates and repairs!
ritasmith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #14
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
OK Too bad I had visons of not having to lift a gene and grilling off the back of my AS. So even a bicycle rack would be too much I guess I didt think of the fulcrum effect being so dramatic. Ok how about a tiny little 18 bl grill you know the ones that are stainless for a boat just like this Dickinson Sea-B-Que Large Ss Propane Bar-B-Que Bbq - 00-SBQ-L - BoatersWorld.com
Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritasmith52 View Post
older airstreams may be found at airstream sales above charlestown, sc, mary was wife and now i believe son runs shop! They had a field of older airstreams for parts, son is very good with updates and repairs!
Those aren't airstreams in that field, they are Spartans..