Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
1970 vista views

Who can tell me how to repair a vista view from 1970? I see a zillion posts about the double pane windows, but mine are single pane, and while I have the inside trim off, I don't see how to separate the two frame halves that sandwich the glass. Anyone done this before?
Greg
gparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Got any pictures? Somebody here has done it before, almost certainly. A picture or two might help.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Almost every posting about vista view windows is because of the double pane. A film was added between the panes and over the years it had discolored and looks very bad. If you have a single pane, I assume that your problem is not one of discoloration? I have heard of people who had to remove the outer glass (due to cracks and breakage). In that case they had to remove the outer collar (drill out riverts), replace the glass and install the collar again. I have never done this. As a matter of fact, my vista views are double panes and look like crap.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Window and glass shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Almost every posting about vista view windows is because of the double pane. A film was added between the panes and over the years it had discolored and looks very bad. As a matter of fact, my vista views are double panes and look like crap.

Last summer I met a guy who had his vista view, double "pains," refurbished. He had to take the entire window to a window and glass company, who had the equipment and know-how to separate the panes. He said they used a special tool and procedure to separte them. Then they cleaned them then put them back together. He re-installed and riveted them back in place. He told me that they looked like new again!

I'm not sure, but this may apply to the single pane as well. Especially if the trim that holds it in doesn't seem to be workable on its own. Greg, you may want to check with some local window shops about this.

Kimber
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
I'll take a picture in a few days if I can get out there during daylight. Somehow, the window "just broke". I went out one morning and the window was spider-webbed. No evidence of rocks, baseballs, dead birds etc.
In the mean time, picture this: the glass is surrounded by a channel. This channel is made of two halves, the outer half, which is what you look at from the outside, and the inner half, which sits on the inside rim of the glass. Make an "L" with your thumb and pointer finger of each hand, then overlap your thumbs--that's how the pieces fit together. I am wondering how to getthem apart!!
l l
l l
inside l l outside
l l
l__--
Greg
Old 10-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Well I see my diagram did not reproduce--- but do the "L" thing with your hands and you will get the picture.
Greg
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Greg,
Not sure what the 1970 Vista View looks like. But the 1975 ones were dual pane. But the frame is an aluminum extrusion that is held together at the bottom with a steel splice plate riveted into the extrusion. There is no way to remove the glass in mine without drilling the steel rivets out and seperating the frame.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote