Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
1965 Rehab

Well kids I am slowly taking apart my 65 sovereign. I started this last August 2010. I am planning to take her down to the the frame and pretty much replace EVERYTHING! So input please. I dropped the belly pan yesterday, not fun. But I am making progress, next step shell off and frame repair.
I took a couple shots of the underside this morning. The frame, floor and insulation didn't look bad. The black water tank ruptured and rusted out the rear street bumper support so that must be replaced. The only major problem, there seems to be a fair amount of corrosion in the front (street side) main support. Where the tongue joins the main part of the frame. I am adding pics so please weigh in!!

marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Great! Another 65'!Been there done that.Good luck to you Marzboy.Check "Gutting the 65" I documented to where I am so far.Might find some tips on the 65.I did however do a shell on and dropped the pan.Best Wishes Steve
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Long Live the '65s

You have plenty of company around here.
I am in the process of restoring a '65 Safari.

I have been posting my progress here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f191...ion-69770.html

I, like Steve am sticking to the body on version.
Best of luck to ya'
I have found that they are not that hard to work on, and the work you put in rewards you with a good end product, a fine vintage Airstream.
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
You're going to have a great looking trailer, I'll be following along. Any clues about what you plan?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Thanks guys for the group therapy. It is a 30 footer so its a bit of work. @ Truck I have been stocking your thread, nice work. I am not going near as exotic as you are. I am planning to keep it as close to original as possible. But I have noticed that they built these things as if they would never have to be taken apart! So I am going going to add my tweaks to make things a bit more accessible. Also I am going to upgrade all the systems. I am not too sure about the fine points (like battery placement etc) or specific brands. But I have a folder full of notes and samples so that I can stay focused.
I have found it helpful to read only the threads that correspond to where I am. So in short gut, shell off, frame repair, tanks, floors, rewire, insulate ......take lots of pictures.
I will be watching all of your posts guys, so keep it coming!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
65's are great!

marzboy - Welcome to the forum and glad to see you are bringing another 65 back to life. We love our 65 Twinkie. I will be following your progress....Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0159.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	114882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0040.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	114883  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Well this week I was able to remove all the rivets that hold the shell to the frame. Unfortunately its going to rain on Sunday and Monday. I am ready to lift the Shell and get started on the frame repair, but looks like its going to have to wait.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
You are making lots of progress - awesome!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Marzboy,As I recall I bought my 28 footer last Dec.and have been steady doing a little at a time.3-5 days a week.When money was tight I polished.I am now with a frame resto, new floor, all new LED lights,fiberglass light cans restored,3/4 polished,interior sealed, and ready for Prodex insulation.
Point is ,stay with it and try a trick I learned from Ambie64.Polish a 2x2 spot somewhere on the trailer to use as a motivational aid when you are drilling out rivet 1000 and you think the dirty work will never end.It helps you see where you are going. Hang in there you're making good progress.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Marzboy,As I recall I bought my 28 footer last Dec.and have been steady doing a little at a time.3-5 days a week.When money was tight I polished.I am now with a frame resto, new floor, all new LED lights,fiberglass light cans restored,3/4 polished,interior sealed, and ready for Prodex insulation.
Point is ,stay with it and try a trick I learned from Ambie64.Polish a 2x2 spot somewhere on the trailer to use as a motivational aid when you are drilling out rivet 1000 and you think the dirty work will never end.It helps you see where you are going. Hang in there you're making good progress.
Thanks bway,I feel you. Up to this point I dont need help from anyone. But lifting the shell is not a one man job. This weekend looks like rain and my days to work on it are Sunday/Monday. I have been doing the busy tasks when I get stuck. I just ordered the parts to rebuild my windows to keep myself busy. I have been also stalking Craigslist and Ebay for tools. Right now I am watching for a Cyclo Polisher. Just snagged a Sunnex Riveter ($60) and 36" Metal Break ($90). There are plenty of things to do. My strategy is save $ for the major systems and when $ is low do the tedious busy work. I am trying to visit Uwe to check out holding tank setups and swing by Inland RV for some parts. Im on it, Im determined, and it helps to have the forums fo inspiration!
It would be nice to find a Bucking/Resto buddy in my area though....
Old 11-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Thanks bway,I feel you. Up to this point I dont need help from anyone. But lifting the shell is not a one man job. This weekend looks like rain and my days to work on it are Sunday/Monday. I have been doing the busy tasks when I get stuck. I just ordered the parts to rebuild my windows to keep myself busy. I have been also stalking Craigslist and Ebay for tools. Right now I am watching for a Cyclo Polisher. Just snagged a Sunnex Riveter ($60) and 36" Metal Break ($90). There are plenty of things to do. My strategy is save $ for the major systems and when $ is low do the tedious busy work. I am trying to visit Uwe to check out holding tank setups and swing by Inland RV for some parts. Im on it, Im determined, and it helps to have the forums fo inspiration!
Check R17 tanks at Ronco Tanks.Uwe suggested these and I have them installed.Hang down slightly so need minor fabrication on bp in that area. Very pleased with them.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I will check them out thanks Bway. Hopefully I will be able to see Uwe this Tuesday. I ordered window parts so I can rebuild them while I am waiting on the frame repair. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Tomorrow weather permitting I will lift the shell of the frame to start my frame repair. It has been very un SoCal weather lately. I had to scrub my shell off because of weather last weekend, but it didn't rain. Tomorrow is suppose to rain in the am but I am not going to wait any longer. My little project is going painfully slow and I am growing impatient! So to keep myself busy I started to rebuild my windows. Inexpensive but extremely tedious, especially when the p/o sealed the windows with calking!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB250001.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	116062   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB250002.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	116063  

Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
marzboy I beg to differ. I lifted a 31 ft shell solo. Well actually 2 friends helped. Both of them were named jack. I used two bottle jacks between the cribbing to hold the shell straight and the floor. four inches at a time front and then back got it up 3 ft and the chassis just rolled out. Good luck I know you can do it. BTW I`ll swap weather with you any time. It`s snowing here now and onlt 30F. Costing $20 per day in propane to keep my shop warm.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
marzboy I beg to differ. I lifted a 31 ft shell solo. Well actually 2 friends helped. Both of them were named jack. I used two bottle jacks between the cribbing to hold the shell straight and the floor. four inches at a time front and then back got it up 3 ft and the chassis just rolled out. Good luck I know you can do it. BTW I`ll swap weather with you any time. It`s snowing here now and onlt 30F. Costing $20 per day in propane to keep my shop warm.
Ha! Well you are a better man than I. Im going to get it done, believe me. I am pretty stoked! Thanks for the vote of confidance though, hopefully this time tomorrow Ill have some great shell off pics
Oh and I wouldnt change our weather for anything.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
I would love to come and see your trailer sometime. I have a '65 Globetrotter that I spent two years redoing. It was in Vintage Airstream magazine Winter 2008. I did a tremendious amount of research that I be helpful 2 you. Ewe and Murray Sumner did my axle 4 yrs ago when Ewe was starting to do trailers full time. I'm at Topanga and Mulholland very close to you, All the best, Kenny
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyp315 View Post
I would love to come and see your trailer sometime. I have a '65 Globetrotter that I spent two years redoing. It was in Vintage Airstream magazine Winter 2008. I did a tremendious amount of research that I be helpful 2 you. Ewe and Murray Sumner did my axle 4 yrs ago when Ewe was starting to do trailers full time. I'm at Topanga and Mulholland very close to you, All the best, Kenny
Hi Kenny. I use to live near you off San Feliciano on Cerillos. My wife and I miss that house!! Uwe is a great resource, he is extremely generous with his time. I am going to be working on my trailer today you are welcome to stop by. I would love to exchange notes with you. I will pm you my cel phone #
Old 11-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #18
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We followed Wasagachris

Just like Wasagachris, my husband lifted the Tross off by himself and his friends, Jack and Jack, and Jack and Jack. He told me he didn't need myhelp which is code for "Get out of here and let me do this myself."

I think he didn't want to have me see him trapped under the shell when it all came a tumbling down. Luckily it didn't. Thanks for all of your great tips Wasagachris!
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Ok shell is off. My friend flaked so I did it myself. It wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. Next step frame repair!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB280001.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	116140   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280002.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	116141  

Name:	PB280004.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	116142   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280005.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	116143  

Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
Congradulations Marzboy. See it was no trouble right. That`s some serious bending going on to the skins. I added spacers to my cribbing to keep the 4x4`s away from the skin. Are you planning to repair the frame under the shell. The reason I ask is I don`t think the wheel wells will clear the 4x4`s to roll the chassis out. I goofed on my measurements and had to let the air out of the tires to get mine out. Going back uder because of the new axles I had to raise the shell another 8 inches. I`ll be watching and await the next post.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off