Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #201
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Don't you have to wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Started the rear panel replacement today. funny what you discover when you start pulling panels off. In this case i found a really crappy patch job. They didn't even use sealant, which allowed water to intrude. I have the lower street side panel off. Tomorrow I will fabricate and replace both lower panels
I agree with your assessment. The previous PO repairs are always a source of entertainment when you pull them apart and say to yourself "What in the world were they thinking?" We discovered this when we found a two by four holding up the rear black tank because the entire rear end had rotted apart.

Keep up the good work.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #202
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I agree with your assessment. The previous PO repairs are always a source of entertainment when you pull them apart and say to yourself "What in the world were they thinking?" We discovered this when we found a two by four holding up the rear black tank because the entire rear end had rotted apart.

Keep up the good work.
Sandy
Wow! Thats pretty ghetto.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #203
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
What was that hole from? Kinda weird! Look at this way.. your polishing time is going to be cut by a few hours now!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #204
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
What was that hole from? Kinda weird! Look at this way.. your polishing time is going to be cut by a few hours now!
Marc
Ha! I hope it doesnt take that long to polish that tiny area! Not sure what that hole is from but its getting patched today for goodI will post pics today.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh! I thought you were replacing the whole bottom half of the trailer aluminum. Forgive me... yes, your polishing time will not decrease by much! Kidding!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Anything matching on the interior? If'n one were trying to hide the evidence of a mouse - cricket hunt, errr, I mean purely accidental 12-Gauge shotgun discharge, that'd be the near the size needed to be cut away to erase the crater...

I had a wrap patch covering shredded aluminum beneath the refrigerator... really, really looked like a perfect fuel-air mix had ignited and flower-petaled out the wraps. Joe Somewhen just pushed the six or seven razor-edge knife-shaped shreds up and slapped 3-feet of new aluminum over it.. Maybe from back in the day when M-80's or Ashcans were still around?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
We should start a blog - the images of how NOT to repair your trailer.

In my own case, I've got a few horrible patches with 1/8" thick aluminum screwed on with at least 4 types of rivets and screws each. And that's not an exaggeration. There was one 4" square patch that had 9 holes and 4 types of fasteners. 1/8" pop rivets, 5/32" Olympics, hex-head machine screws (rusted), and two SS 1/4-20 bolts!!!

The vent holes looked like they had been cut by repeatedly stabbing the skin with a hunting knife, and were covered with a mix of silicon and butyl tape followed by big-box store home vents (using 4 types of fasteners of course).

My personal favorite is the entry door and the repair of a big gash. It's not even a suicide door style, so they must have run against some metal sign or something. It involves 2 pounds of Bondo followed by painting the ENTIRE DOOR. luckily the paint did not stick to the aluminum very well and is mostly gone everywhere except for the rock solid Bondo.

However, as sad as I am about those aspects of the PO, at least he tried. He certainly kept the water out-- my frame had virtually no issues after 50 years.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #208
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@ Marc No worries I even get confused when I look at my trailer.
@ Wabbiteer Ouch!! That sounds a little dangerous. Just a little more $$ right?
@ Peter Thats is a great idea! Better yet a new thread, Show us your bad patch jobs and how you fixed em. I'm serious! That would be pretty helpful and encouraging. Judging by your last comment you could probably fill a few pages
Well guys I got a panel up on the rear street side and my first major mistake. I cut the panel and got the writing on the outside! Crap! I just have it fastened with clecos so I can flip it to the other side, but it was a PITA to get in. It should buff out right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC050762.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	146605   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC050765.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	146606  

Name:	PC050767.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	146607   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC050768.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	146608  

Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Well guys I got a panel up on the rear street side and my first major mistake. I cut the panel and got the writing on the outside! Crap! I just have it fastened with clecos so I can flip it to the other side, but it was a PITA to get in. It should buff out right?
You're talking about the red ink that says "ALCLAD....etc"? That buffed right out for me when I made that same goof on my water inlet panel, and in fact I think some of it came off with mineral spirits when I was cleaning up the Vulkem on the edge with a rag.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could have done much worse, like cutting it one inch too short...

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #210
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
You're talking about the red ink that says "ALCLAD....etc"? That buffed right out for me when I made that same goof on my water inlet panel, and in fact I think some of it came off with mineral spirits when I was cleaning up the Vulkem on the edge with a rag.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could have done much worse, like cutting it one inch too short...
Whew! I have been stressing out about that. Getting that panel is was a biaaaacchh! Thank God that I got the measurements right I bought enough metal to replace the rear panels and a couple patches,
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #211
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
With all the holidays work and bad weather I haven't got much done. But I got the lower curb side panel and quarter panel fabricated drilled and clecoed. So crazy that there are about a million tiny jobs to do before you can do the big ones!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC130761.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	147032   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130764.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	147033  

Name:	PC130768.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	147034  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #212
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Ok with a couple hours here and there I finally got all the fabricating, sealing and buck riveting done! Boy life can sure get in the way of fun. I also did a few Olympic rivets in a spot that I couldn't buck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC270863.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	147721   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC270866.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	147722  

Name:	PC270870.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	147723   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC270871.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	147724  

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #213
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
wow that's looking great but that in your hand isn't an olympic rivet is it? i thought they had three legs!
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #214
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen View Post
wow that's looking great but that in your hand isn't an olympic rivet is it? i thought they had three legs!
That is an olympic that has not been pulled. Once it is inserted and pulled the "legs" will pop out. If you zoom in on the first pic you can kind of see them. They are pretty solid, more than I thought they would be. In fact I believe if they are used properly they should hold up pretty well. Here is a pic of the curb side complete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC280772.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	147731  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #215
JGS
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Saint Augustine , Florida
Does anyone know of a template or drawing for a 67 sovreign rear bath frame support. Most of the rear frame under the bathroom is gone. I rigged a temorary fix to tow the newly purchased trailer home but need to know what metals thickness and design were originally used so I can duplicate it rather than guessing. Thanks John in South Carolina
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #216
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS
Does anyone know of a template or drawing for a 67 sovreign rear bath frame support. Most of the rear frame under the bathroom is gone. I rigged a temorary fix to tow the newly purchased trailer home but need to know what metals thickness and design were originally used so I can duplicate it rather than guessing. Thanks John in South Carolina
Hi John
Not sure what you mean by support but my bath/ shower had styrofoam under it and a frame rail inder the sink. Most of my bath was missing when I got her. If you are talking about the trailer frame itself it is the same as the rest. Pretty much looks like a ladder. Mine was missing too and had to be rebuilt. Post pics and maybe start a new thread in the appropriate forum I'm sure your question will be answered. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #217
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Got a bit done this week. Got the street side banana wrap riveted, that was surprisingly difficult. Also I rebuilt one of my windows. I had to replace four pieces of glass (two windows two fixed). Let me tell you, if you can rehab your windows without removing the glass do it. Replacing the glass is not easy. But the guy at the glass shop gave me a neat trick. Lightly mist the glass with window cleaner before you set it in the butyl tape. It gives you a little more time to reset the glass in case you don't set it right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090859.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	148637   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090861.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	148638  

Name:	P1090863.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	148639   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090872.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	148640  

Old 01-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #218
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Brandon , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS
I have a 68 sovereign with the floor off. I guess it may be similar. I have some photos on my thread that you may be able to make some detail out of, they were taken with my phone so they're not great.
I'm away from home right now so I can't get you any better ones, but from memory the two main frame rails go all the way back to an upside down u channel under the very rear of the shell (the shell is bolted to this). There are a couple of sections added underneath the main rails to form skid rails in case you bounce your tail in the floor. The black tank sits between the two rails under the floor. Either side there are outriggers about 18" or 2' further back than the last full width crossmember. Each of these is a solid triangle with the edges rolled over. Metal is the same thickness as elsewhere.

Pretty much you can look at the front and it's the same, but without the bits for the tongue... I'll try to get some decent photos when I'm at the trailer next..
L.D.Clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #219
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
After three days of dealing with my windows I have learned:
1) Silicone sucks!
2) I am defiantly not a detail person
3) Glass is rarely salvageable
4) It is always much worse than you thought.
So I have two windows complete out of ten (complete with bulb seal), one picture window in out of three installed, four broken frames re welded, five windows siliconed so bad I had to clean each frame three times, all window openings cleaned and prepped for window install and went thru 50' of glazing tape and almost all of my glazing strips. Oh and be careful pressing that glazing strip in to the outside for the window frame. My hands and thumbs are pretty sore!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1150789.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	149118   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160790.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	149119  

Name:	P1160799.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	149120   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170817.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	149121  

Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #220
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
After three days of dealing with my windows I have learned:
1) Silicone sucks!
2) I am defiantly not a detail person
3) Glass is rarely salvageable
4) It is always much worse than you thought.
So I have two windows complete out of ten (complete with bulb seal), one picture window in out of three installed, four broken frames re welded, five windows siliconed so bad I had to clean each frame three times, all window openings cleaned and prepped for window install and went thru 50' of glazing tape and almost all of my glazing strips. Oh and be careful pressing that glazing strip in to the outside for the window frame. My hands and thumbs are pretty sore!
I will second all of your points!!! I was pretty tired of windows by the time I was done. Your frames are cleaning up very nice. I also got some of those cleaning wheels like you have on the drill but they didn't seem to do anything for me? I like watching your progress.

I really hate silicone and black tar

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off