Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #481
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen View Post
Sorry to hear about the door, i am re skinning mine at the moment it looks as though the top curve has been welded onto mine unless that's standard?, I got the aluminium strips welded across it to give it strength around the lockset, i hope i don't get problems with it! , re cladding the walls must be a great feeling, my next step is cutting a serving hatch, I will take a few photos and update my thread tomorrow!
Usually the door frame is welded togeather from a couple pieces, so yes it is normal. I also added some aluminum angle to beef up the lock area of the frame. Cant wait to see your progress!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Yet another example of persistence over pain and frustration! Love the photos to see your progress.
Sandy
Thanks Sandy. Got the door back on today I hope that is the last time I do that!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #482
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
I go away from the forums for a month and come back and you're not done yet?

We need to see that thing rolling to rallies in SoCal soon...

Maybe once I ever get around to building my drawers and finishing my cabinets, I'll come up there and lend a hand. I suppose it's the least I can do after badgering you like this.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #483
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I go away from the forums for a month and come back and you're not done yet?

We need to see that thing rolling to rallies in SoCal soon...

Maybe once I ever get around to building my drawers and finishing my cabinets, I'll come up there and lend a hand. I suppose it's the least I can do after badgering you like this.
I know!! You would think I would be done with the electrical, inner skins, lighting, plummbing, LP, Appliances, tanks, brake lines, interior, not to mention polishing....um yeah. I have a bit more to do. If I do any camping in my rig it will be just a metal tent. Oh well.... if you come up BRING BEER!!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #484
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Man View Post
like a DC fridge, 14ga ain't gonna cut it. So the point is to plan your DC loads and wire accordingly.
Do many people really use DC to cool the fridge? I know we almost all use it for controls, but I haven't actually seen much about refers that use 12VDC to cool.

14 gauge is fine for the control circuits.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #485
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
If I recall, the 3-way version of my fridge (Dometic RM2351B) had a section about 12 gauge wiring. They require 14ga for controls and 10ga minimum for power. However, they had a section about calcamacating the line losses and this size was only ok for up to 6 or 8 feet, with 8 gauge recommended for something like 12-15 foot runs. Anything less will void the mfr warranty. Anyway, I didn't want to install enough batteries to run the thing on 12 V, so I had the 2way version. Propane power is awesome... :-)

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #486
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Anyway, I didn't want to install enough batteries to run the thing on 12 V, so I had the 2way version. Propane power is awesome... :-)
That's the point, isn't it? I mean, I don't know how much current a 12VDC refer would draw, but it's going to be a lot more than a 12V light bulb, isn't it?

The ONLY instance I could see where using 12VDC would make sense is when towing. The blue charge line could handle enough current from the TV to keep the refer operating, for those who are squeamish about travelling with LP keeping it chilled.

Otherwise, you would need a sea of batteries to be able to wilderness camp...
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #487
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

That's the point, isn't it? I mean, I don't know how much current a 12VDC refer would draw, but it's going to be a lot more than a 12V light bulb, isn't it?

The ONLY instance I could see where using 12VDC would make sense is when towing. The blue charge line could handle enough current from the TV to keep the refer operating, for those who are squeamish about travelling with LP keeping it chilled.

Yeah, I imagine the only way it's remotely plausible without a giant bank would be to initially cool the fridge on propane or 110V and only switch to 12V after already being cold. Otherwise I envision stiffening the frame for the battery acid sea and lead plate forest that you would be installing.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #488
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Maybe off on a tangent a bit, but the Isotherm fridge in my Overlander is 12V and 110, I used 12G for both lines, as it barely uses any power its another option. I'll be installing a similar but larger unit in the Sovereign for sure.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #489
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

Nice delayed responce Aage. For a second I had no idea what you guys were talking about but now I see.The 12 v fridge was never an option for me. LP 2 way seems to be the way to go. The 14 ga is for the led lights fans and other dc items. Nothing that will draw big power.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #490

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Hey Marzboy.......good to see you're still working on your AS .....makes our 2.5 year effort seem normal . hey, are you going to the Modernism Week Vintage Trailer Show in Palm Springs in February? I'm producing the show, along with my friend & biz partner Christy, and would love to see you. Another bringing the '69....nor the
Bubble (she's not ready for her debut quite yet) but will probably bring another little cutie for the Retail Vendor portion.

All the best in the New Year!!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #491
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
Hey Marzboy.......good to see you're still working on your AS .....makes our 2.5 year effort seem normal . hey, are you going to the Modernism Week Vintage Trailer Show in Palm Springs in February? I'm producing the show, along with my friend & biz partner Christy, and would love to see you. Another bringing the '69....nor the
Bubble (she's not ready for her debut quite yet) but will probably bring another little cutie for the Retail Vendor portion.

Sounds like a socal rally...

Is there good room to camp somewhere nearby? I've always wanted to visit that event.

And Marzboy, let's see some updates

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #492

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Hi worldinchaos....most of trailers are from socal...one from Utah and a few from Oregon. You could check with happy traveler RV park in palm springs....other than that not sure of other campgrounds out state parks. It's a really fun event...hope you can visit us
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #493
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Peter,
I did my maiden voyage of my Globetrotter in Lake Cahuilla Campground about 5 miles south of La Quinta, CA. That was Spring of 2009. I think the rate was about $20 per night. I stayed for a week. I would recommend.
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #494
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:

Hi Monah Happy new year to you and your hubby! Lookin forward to modernism week this year, I have been recruting my clients all year. What are the exact dates? Congrats on producing this year, hope to see you there!!

Quote:
Sounds like a socal rally...

Is there good room to camp somewhere nearby? I've always wanted to visit that event.

And Marzboy, let's see some updates
Ah Peter you are the Mick to my Rocky. I have been gatering appliances and parts on my down time. Picked up alot of stuff on Craigslist and Ebay. Been meaning to post my scores but holidays, kids and life.... Also how about all this rain? WTF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerimage View Post
Peter,
I did my maiden voyage of my Globetrotter in Lake Cahuilla Campground about 5 miles south of La Quinta, CA. That was Spring of 2009. I think the rate was about $20 per night. I stayed for a week. I would recommend.
Sounds kinda like a mini rally in the making (Socal Streamers, hint hint). If you guys do get togeather lets hook up for cocktails around the Vintage trailer show! Whos with me?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #495

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Yay...glad we get to see you Marzboy!! , the Vintage trailer show is February 23 & 24...we'll be in the palm springs Hilton parking lot adjacent to the modernism expo booth and prefab exhibit. It's an awesome and diverse group of Vintage trailers....vendors..and a surprise our two I'm bringing my 61 Bambi named Rogue...she's been outfitted to be a mobile retail trailer and is darling!!
Love the idea of a flash rally....I'm totally up for a beverage or two.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #496
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Yay...glad we get to see you Marzboy!! , the Vintage trailer show is February 23 & 24...we'll be in the palm springs Hilton parking lot adjacent to the modernism expo booth and prefab exhibit. It's an awesome and diverse group of Vintage trailers....vendors..and a surprise our two I'm bringing my 61 Bambi named Rogue...she's been outfitted to be a mobile retail trailer and is darling!!
Love the idea of a flash rally....I'm totally up for a beverage or two.
Great! I will more likely be there on the 24th, but I will spread the word to my peeps. See you there, and yes beverages are a must!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #497
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Have fun you guys! Sorry to miss it again... If you go on the Vista Del Palmas tour and meet the guys from H3K, say "Hi" from Marc and Mona... they're our college buds.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #498
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Have fun you guys! Sorry to miss it again... If you go on the Vista Del Palmas tour and meet the guys from H3K, say "Hi" from Marc and Mona... they're our college buds.
Marc
Too bad you can't be there and buy me a beer Marc oh well next time...
Ok I know I haven't posted progress for a bit but I have been quietly been workin on the beast. I have aquired some appliances two of which I have been trying to work out location. I have a tankless water heater that I am thinking about placeing where the old furnace was and the new furnace next to it under the stove oven. Any comments r reccomendations are welcome

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130113_141303.png
Views:	249
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	176644
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #499
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I love progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Too bad you can't be there and buy me a beer Marc oh well next time...
Ok I know I haven't posted progress for a bit but I have been quietly been workin on the beast. I have aquired some appliances two of which I have been trying to work out location. I have a tankless water heater that I am thinking about placeing where the old furnace was and the new furnace next to it under the stove oven. Any comments r reccomendations are welcome

Attachment 176644
Progress looks good! Keep going and post pictures please....I live through other people's progress because of my lack of the same
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #500
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Progress looks good! Keep going and post pictures please....I live through other people's progress because of my lack of the same
Sandy
Hi Sandy! You guys are making great progress. I know how you feel though. I have been buying appliances off Craigslist and Ebay. Two big scores and Olympian Wave 8 new in box for $75 and a Magic Chef stove oven pulled out of a new Airstream for $100. It took some time but I got it done.
Got some more of the electrical roughed in. Hooked up both Lifeline grp27 Batteries to a shut off switch and finished all the connections for my tongue jack and the charge line to the tow vehicle. I am thinking about testing out the power center this weekend, little scared but it has to be done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1151089.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	176790   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1151090.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	176791  

Name:	P1151091.jpg