Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #441
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
No more than two afternoons. And I bought the "large" size. Man... Good stuff.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #442
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Got side tracked with some other things but I have been tinkering. Finally got to the door frame. It was busted up pretty good. Seems like a really poor design, there is hardly any metal keeping the door together where the dead bolt goes thru. Going to be out of town the next two weekends. Hope to order metal and re skin the door in a couple weeks. Big Thanks to Jerry Burak at Burak Bye Products for welding that crappy frame and Greg at Inland RV for the door frame template.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-17 11.52.50.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	163491   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-17 12.05.10.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	163492  

Name:	2012-07-17 12.42.12.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	163493   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9020724.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	163494  

marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #443
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
So I guess that brings "closure" to that part of the project? Sorry...had to say it.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #444
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
So I guess that brings "closure" to that part of the project? Sorry...had to say it.
Whaaa...waaaaaa.....
Sadly I will need to wait a couple weeks to "close the door" on this phase.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #445
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
It's an open and shut case... Seems like you found a real craftsman to work on the door. Great work!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #446
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
It's an open and shut case... Seems like you found a real craftsman to work on the door. Great work!
Marc
Haha! Yes I did, hes the dad of an ex girl friend. Great guy even better welder. The door was pretty busted up but it fits pretty good now. Hope to clean up the frame this next week and order the new metal to re skin it.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #447
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Door

Jav,
Any tricks you can throw out there? My door frame is busted up also.
I have some cracks where the lock actuator goes into the striker plate.
Also, my hinge is shot.

Can wait to get closure, nya nya!

(I don't think I have the skills to do what Kip did, but need to start somewhere)

Thanks in advance,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #448
Aluminum Addict

1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas

Name:	image-611857236.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	164013

Funny how the cracks are right where the rivets mount, and why was it riveted in such a weak spot?? Removed inside sheets and insulation, dreading removing the door off the hinge but the hinge needs work anyway. My welder told me I'd need to remove the outer skin too, if I didn't want it marred in the process. Not looking forward to investing in the Olympic rivet shaver, but I suppose I'll need it in the inventory anyway.
SeasideSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #449
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@ Tim the only trick I have for you is build a jig to match the curve of the trailers inner door frame. I wll take a couple pics of it when I get home and post them. Also find a really good welder that can tig weld aluminum.
Don't feel too bad, not very many can follow kip. When I read his threads I feel like a cave man working with sticks and stones.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #450
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasideSteph

Funny how the cracks are right where the rivets mount, and why was it riveted in such a weak spot?? Removed inside sheets and insulation, dreading removing the door off the hinge but the hinge needs work anyway. My welder told me I'd need to remove the outer skin too, if I didn't want it marred in the process. Not looking forward to investing in the Olympic rivet shaver, but I suppose I'll need it in the inventory anyway.
My cracks are in the same spots the design is crap. You will need to have your trailer with your welder as they are working on the frame to get the curve of the door right. Your frame is cast aluminum which is very difficult to weld. It absorbs lots of moisture and can produce crappy weak welds. If you can't move the trailer you can make a jig out of scrap 2x4 like I have. I will post some detailed pics of the jig when I get home tomorrow. Also I have been told that more curve in the frame is better than not enough (this will make more sense when you start welding)
You are going to have to reskin the door with new aluminum because the rivet holes won't match up. Its not too expensive like around $250. Check out kips thread on door repair (arrowood)
Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #451
1 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Vancouver , British Columbia
marzboy - if we ever get to an Airstream gathering at the same time and place as you, boy do we owe you a few nice beverages! We are definitely following in your footsteps:

Ronco tanks - check
Sky Geeks for chemicals - check
Spare Tire Holder - check
Levelling Jacks - check

Question on installing the spare tire holder - Did you install your spare tire holder as I have roughed out in the attached photo? (Realize that some of the extra battery supports will have to go).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	29-07-2012 2-28-31 PM_0002.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	749.0 KB
ID:	164124  
lunadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #452
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadog View Post
marzboy - if we ever get to an Airstream gathering at the same time and place as you, boy do we owe you a few nice beverages! We are definitely following in your footsteps:

Ronco tanks - check
Sky Geeks for chemicals - check
Spare Tire Holder - check
Levelling Jacks - check

Question on installing the spare tire holder - Did you install your spare tire holder as I have roughed out in the attached photo? (Realize that some of the extra battery supports will have to go).
Lunadog
That is exactly where I placed mine. It is pretty nice I must say. I actually borrowed the idea from Aarowood. It helps that you dont have the subfloor in yet. I would make a template of the inner area that will be above (under the subfloor) the tire between the frame rails. I glued 1/4 " foam insulation board and then covered it with aluminum. Then I seales on all sides with Trempro.
Would love to see it in person someday!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #453
1 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Thanks for this. What Tempro product did you use to seal the wheel well cavity; those guys make a raft of sealants and barrier coats? Maybe we'll see you out-and-about next year; we're hoping to be on-the-road to celebrate the 50th anniversary of out trailer.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #454
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Thanks for this. What Tempro product did you use to seal the wheel well cavity; those guys make a raft of sealants and barrier coats? Maybe we'll see you out-and-about next year; we're hoping to be on-the-road to celebrate the 50th anniversary of out trailer.
I used this to seal. If you get to Southern California I will buy you a drink! Good luck on your goal!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #455
1 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Thanks for the details. Everyone gets to Southern California; suggest you keep ice and margarita mix on hand. Thanks and warm regards.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #456
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasideSteph View Post
Attachment 164013

The shaver and the cyclo were definitely two purchases in this project where I had the rare experience of not being excited to buy a tool. It was frustrating to spend that much, but the shaver has been invaluable. It is simple, well-constructed, and long lasting. Plus, you always end up replacing 10x as many rivets as you expect.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #457
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Thanks for the details. Everyone gets to Southern California; suggest you keep ice and margarita mix on hand. Thanks and warm regards.
Party at Javier's?

I'm down. Just tell me when. I'll load up the fridge with drinks and bring the trailer.

And you think I'm joking.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #458
Aluminum Addict

1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos

The shaver and the cyclo were definitely two purchases in this project where I had the rare experience of not being excited to buy a tool. It was frustrating to spend that much, but the shaver has been invaluable. It is simple, well-constructed, and long lasting. Plus, you always end up replacing 10x as many rivets as you expect.
Well at least I know I'm not alone on that. Thanks for assuring me of the value, it does seem rather expensive for that lil thing. But I'd rather have a pretty door, and I do think I have more rivets to do than I want to admit. (plus I just keep telling myself most gals my age spend way more that that on shoes and purses; )
SeasideSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #459
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@Lunadog Absolutly! Would love to have a cocktail with all yall!
@Peter Sounds like someone needs to get a SoCal rally going....
@Seasidesteph The shaver is a great tool, so is s the cyclo, I love them. The cyclo also does a great job taking the swirl marks out of the paint an my tow vehicle.

I suffered a minor set back on my door frame. While cleaning and removeing some tuff rivets I broke the frame again. Oh well back to the welder....
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #460
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
To frame it mildly, he was framed, again!

That sure looks like a good item to etch, passivate and Allodine.

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off