Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #261
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos

Correctimundo. Propane is 150% the density of air. It will sink. If it is a small leak out of a fitting, it will only be noticeable by the ethyl mercaptan smell. If a catastrophic failure occurs, it will probably do a pretty poor job of dispersing given how low to the ground it already is. Then you will have a low vapor cloud that will find an ignition source and turn your Memorial Day trip into the Fourth of July...

My impression of the black iron v. copper: the advantage of using black iron for the main header, and then teeing off to copper, is that it provides more rigidity in the case of a foreign object on the road, i.e. "Oh golly, something must have bumped up into my undercarriage".

While copper would smush (technical term), the black iron would hopefully do a little bit better. Some of my 50 year old copper lines, while intact, were definitely "smushed". Just my guess/ understanding/ opinion of the black iron advantage. (although I still might just do 100% copper).
I don't believe that you are suppose to connect copper to steel. Something about electrolysis, right?
I would also think that copper would also be better in the flexibility dept. Oh well I have many threads to read before I even get involved in those debates! I'm just tryin to stay focused on my project of the moment the windows. If I get too far ahead of myself my A.D.D. gets the best of me.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #262
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy

I don't believe that you are suppose to connect copper to steel. Something about electrolysis, right?
I would also think that copper would also be better in the flexibility dept. Oh well I have many threads to read before I even get involved in those debates! I'm just tryin to stay focused on my project of the moment the windows. If I get too far ahead of myself my A.D.D. gets the best of me.
Electrolysis is a really good point. Don't know. I might ask my metallurgy/corrosion expert at work for his thoughts.

And as for the ADD, I know what you mean. My objective is supposed to be the bed an learning to make cabinets, but I keep thinking of doing the propane and water systems.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Electrolysis is a really good point. Don't know. I might ask my metallurgy/corrosion expert at work for his thoughts.

And as for the ADD, I know what you mean. My objective is supposed to be the bed an learning to make cabinets, but I keep thinking of doing the propane and water systems.
Electrolysis is not to much of a problem, brass connectors and adapters are used to hook up the copper. I will be running all of my gas lines internally but no concealed joints, I don't like the idea of the lines exposed to road debris or ??. Even if the lines run underneath you still have many joints inside so why not keep them all out of harms way? If the lines were underneath you could hit some and not know it and have a leak created inside, more likely a problem IMHO. Pressure test before using system and soap and water on final connections, if pressure testing with air pressure don't put excessive pressure on the appliances.

And as for the A.D.D., I know what you mean. I think it is very common with all of us here

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #264
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Windows windows windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Windows are a lot of work, period! Going on six days, ten windows. Broke two more frames trying to clean out what looked like painters caulk So I have three windows left to clean, replace glass, and replace glazing. Hope finish next week. Hope that is.....
Hey Jav,
I read this post and have had it in my head constantly ever since. The hot knife through plastic is King Dingleing! I have been working on '66 Safari windows for what seems like months now. Then, last weekend, we were out rummaging through all the antique and random stuff stores here and I saw something that I knew right away I had to have! Here are some pics of it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0357.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	150237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0354.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	150236
It was made in West Germany. It is the King of King Dingleings! A moulding cutter. Makes me happier'n a little pig scratchin' its a$$ on a board fence.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #265
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Hey Jav,
I read this post and have had it in my head constantly ever since. The hot knife through plastic is King Dingleing! I have been working on '66 Safari windows for what seems like months now. Then, last weekend, we were out rummaging through all the antique and random stuff stores here and I saw something that I knew right away I had to have! Here are some pics of it.
Attachment 150237Attachment 150236
It was made in West Germany. It is the King of King Dingleings! A moulding cutter. Makes me happier'n a little pig scratchin' its a$$ on a board fence.
What tha...!! That sir is a score right there! It would have come in handy when I still had moulding to cut. Well I actually have two windows left, broke some glass trying to set it in the butal tape
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #266
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
That is a very cool tool! I have to confess that after 18 years of cutting wood to 45 degrees, I just wing it, not saying close enough is good enough but I can wing it better than most can use a miter gauge to line it up. The miters at the corners are actually easy because the frame lines you up.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #267
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Hi Marzboy,
Nice work. Just a note. I redid my windows in my '68 Globetrotter, especially the big guys, front and rear. The '68 needed the steel edgings. I found and used a great tool from Harbor Freight(is one up in Camarillo,CA). It is a mini chop saw, match it with their kit of metal cutting blades and your off to the races. It may look goofy but if patient it works beautifully. Also was excellent on rebuilding screens.
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #268
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@ Randy any excuse to buy a new tool. Very cool, I do lots of damage at the Harbor Freight near my house.
@Frank I am definatly not as skilled as you. I need a guide, the corners on the frame are not enough. Don't ask me how I know....
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #269
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Good progress looking good marzbo I have aquestion I did not notice did you also bolt the body through the floor to the frame ? little late on question but I am old and slow sort of.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #270
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontimo View Post
Good progress looking good marzbo I have aquestion I did not notice did you also bolt the body through the floor to the frame ? little late on question but I am old and slow sort of.
Hi scorpiontimo the bolts are part of a frame repair that I had to do. The rear street support was rusted completely thru. I cut the rear of the frame by 4 feet. I cut it at a 40 degree angle and butt welded it together. I boxed in a section of the repair added two steel plates and bolted it together (for extra security).
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #271
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Tried to finish my windows this week, unfortunately I broke both windows setting the glass in the butyl tape. So while I wait for new glass I thought I would try to install a Fantastic Vent. Getting the old vent was a PITA! It was buck riveted to the top and the rear rib. Didn't do such a great job at removing the rivets. Fortunately Kip (aerowood) hooked me up with some big rivets. Cleaned up and put gaskets on the exterior access doors. Also got the Astrodome lid, and the refer chimney collar riveted in place. I would have done both vents but VTS sent me the wrong interior color. Oh well...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2060812.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	150543   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070818.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	150544  

Name:	P2070820.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	150545   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070823.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	150546  

Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #272
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Nice. What's that clear fluid stuff on the vents?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #273
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Great work..

Quote:
Tried to finish my windows this week, unfortunately I broke both windows setting the glass in the butyl tape. So while I wait for new glass I thought I would try to install a Fantastic Vent. Getting the old vent was a PITA! It was buck riveted to the top and the rear rib. Didn't do such a great job at removing the rivets. Fortunately Kip (aerowood) hooked me up with some big rivets. Cleaned up and put gaskets on the exterior access doors. Also got the Astrodome lid, and the refer chimney collar riveted in place. I would have done both vents but VTS sent me the wrong interior color. Oh well...
This is a job we need to tackle in the future (vents) so it was good to see your post. Why did you decide on Fantastic over another brand and where did you get your gasket material if you don't mind? I was kind of a sick individual who enjoyed fixing up the windows and have come to dread the polishing part I haven't even started....would be willing to finish your windows if you want to install vents on ours !
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #274
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
@ Lance that clear liquid is what your people call rain. Since we in Southern Cali don't have rain I had to google it. It appears to just randomly fall from the sky! Weird.
@ Sandy sorry doll not a chance of that happening. Got two more windows and one vent to go and I am retiring!
I liked the Fantastic Vent mostly from reading the forums. most people seemed to like them. Plus VTS makes the low profile lids like the original. I also went with the all grey interior because I plan to reskin the interior with plain aluminum. I didnt use the gasket that it came with just lots and lots of Trempro.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #275
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Those Fantastic Vents must be slightly old stock, they stopped including the gasket about a year ago. You actually can order the FV in any color and any configurations through a distributor. They make clear, black, white, and grey lids. There also are white curbs as opposed to the grey we typically see. My standard order is the RBT6000, with grey curb, high profile(not actually high, just gives a tighter fit into the opening) with grey flat lid. I really like the rain sensor and feel it is a worthy splurge. The original Herh lids will fit right over the flat lid if you just cannot live with the plastic lid look.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #276
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Those Fantastic Vents must be slightly old stock, they stopped including the gasket about a year ago. You actually can order the FV in any color and any configurations through a distributor. They make clear, black, white, and grey lids. There also are white curbs as opposed to the grey we typically see. My standard order is the RBT6000, with grey curb, high profile(not actually high, just gives a tighter fit into the opening) with grey flat lid. I really like the rain sensor and feel it is a worthy splurge. The original Herh lids will fit right over the flat lid if you just cannot live with the plastic lid look.
Thanks Frank that is good to know. I went with the RBT 6000, it wasn't too much more. Besides it was a Christmas present! Have you thought about adding an ecommerce page to your site? That way the rest of us could order from some of you commercial vendors. Just a thought..
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #277
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Frank and Marz.. thanks a bazilion for making it clear on what FF to order... I second the ecom page... I'd order too!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #278
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Frank and Marz.. thanks a bazilion for making it clear on what FF to order... I second the ecom page... I'd order too!
Marc
They are pretty sweet, cant wait to re wire and see if they work.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #279
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
So I am going over pictures and I just thought I would share how far Ive come. In order of appearance:
1)Arrival
2)Separation
3)Reunion
4)Reattached (with new window and power jack)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6130934.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	150647   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280004.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	150648  

Name:	PA090846.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	150649   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2090789.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	150650  

Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #280
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Retiring?

Quote:
@ Lance that clear liquid is what your people call rain. Since we in Southern Cali don't have rain I had to google it. It appears to just randomly fall from the sky! Weird.
@ Sandy sorry doll not a chance of that happening. Got two more windows and one vent to go and I am retiring!
I liked the Fantastic Vent mostly from reading the forums. most people seemed to like them. Plus VTS makes the low profile lids like the original. I also went with the all grey interior because I plan to reskin the interior with plain aluminum. I didnt use the gasket that it came with just lots and lots of Trempro.
Retiring? Just when you are getting your technique down on the windows !
Now you need to buy another AS or two so you can stay in practice.

We will be looking at the vents in the near future among other projects. Keep posting so I can keep learning.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1965 sovereign, buck rivet, frame repair, olympic rivet, shell off