Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
1960 Vintage Kin

Hi All,
Re my 19060 Avion,

The floor is pretty much shot in a few places and as i am taking everything out and the inner skins, i want to replace all of it, i notice that it is only 1/2" ply, I'm thinking of using 5/8(15mm) or even 3/4 (18mm here)
i know that ill have to take a little of the bottoms of the 2 closets but it wont affect anything else will it, I was also pleased to see that the chassis and outriggers are all good condition even with some original paint on them !

also what grade of ply is most suitable Marine ?, one thought i had was to get the material that is used on truck trailers, which has like a resin in it and a smooth finish.
Thoughts anyone ?

Cheers
Tim
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I don't know much about how an Avion is constructed, but if the plywood is sandwiched between the shell and the frame like it is in an Airstream, then something to consider is if you have any tie down plates, etc., that you were hoping to use the original rivet holes in (as now all those holes will have moved 1/4".

On the plywood, I recently did a floor replacement and used Marine grade 3/4" thick sheets at about $100 a pop. I did this thinking that the glue holding the plywood together would somehow be better in a potentially moist environment, butwhat I have found out since is that the marine grade usually has more layers, and less/no voids, neither feature, I think matters much in a floor of a trailer. I sealed my plywood with 3-4 coats of polyurathane, and I would be that the way it is sealed is more important than the grade of the wood.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
it is your choice

I use 3/4 inch BCX or ACX . Both are exterior grade plywood. ACX has less surface voids. I treat the cut edges with a water protector...note protector NOT repellant. Usually a coat of Vulcum sealant works well. I paint the entire piece of wood with a high grade "Porch" type paint...note....top, sides and bottom. You can go crazy with flooring subjects....don't. This method will be cost effective and last a bit over fifty years...maybe 75 years.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hi All,
Re my 19060 Avion,

The floor is pretty much shot in a few places and as i am taking everything out and the inner skins, i want to replace all of it, i notice that it is only 1/2" ply, I'm thinking of using 5/8(15mm) or even 3/4 (18mm here)
i know that ill have to take a little of the bottoms of the 2 closets but it wont affect anything else will it, I was also pleased to see that the chassis and outriggers are all good condition even with some original paint on them !

also what grade of ply is most suitable Marine ?, one thought i had was to get the material that is used on truck trailers, which has like a resin in it and a smooth finish.
Thoughts anyone ?

Cheers
Tim
Hi All,
Things are becoming a little clearer, where i said the floor was only 1/2" it was obviously put down (badly) by the PO, it had been laid straight on the chassis and not it the channel anywhere !!! and then secured by angle iron which was crudely screwed into the inner skins and the floor, then some mastic/caulk squeezed in any gap, how on earth this old girl is in one piece is beyond me, can any Avion owner explain why plywood is in the wall under the front window ? i Will post some pics tomorrow after uploading from camera,
The rest of the floor is 3/4, regarding insulation i've decided on the hard foam type with foil both sides in 3"

Cheers for now
Tim
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags