Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #1

Charlotte , North Carolina
Just bought a 76 Ambassador...

Hey Everyone!

After months of looking, I found the a great 29' Airstream Ambassador. This looks practically brand new! I haven't gotten her home yet (still have to put new tires on her and have her delivered) but I'm at a weird "excited / what did I just do / can I do this" stage. I've wanted an Airstream for years, and now I'm making it a reality.

My brain is all over the place. I've called the city (Charlotte, NC) and they said I can work on it in my driveway as long as I don't sleep in it. I don't have an HOA either so thats good. Do I need a Trailer Dolly? Where can I rent one?
I'm trying to plan ahead - and its a little nerve wracking. So, right now I'm just focused on tires, registration and delivery.

I've been reading the forums for awhile and I'm excited to finally sit at the cool kids table. I'd love some advice on bringing an Airstream home. What were you like when you brought your first one home? Were you anxious? Did you feel a little overwhelmed?

Thanks!

mtoohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
N.C. Registration

Not sure if this applies to used travel trailers, but when you go to the NC License Office and try to buy a License Plate do not be surprised when they charge you a one time "Road Use Fee" in the amount of $2000.00. Yes, $2000.00!!! The cost of the plate is maybe $20.00 plus the property tax on the value of the trailer.

The first time registration and one year of license plate was $2700.00 for our new 2019 FC 25 RBT. Next year it will ONLY be $700.00.

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Not sure if this applies to used travel trailers, but when you go to the NC License Office and try to buy a License Plate do not be surprised when they charge you a one time "Road Use Fee" in the amount of $2000.00. Yes, $2000.00!!! The cost of the plate is maybe $20.00 plus the property tax on the value of the trailer.

The first time registration and one year of license plate was $2700.00 for our new 2019 FC 25 RBT. Next year it will ONLY be $700.00.

Ugh!! I hope not!! Thats nuts!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums, and congratulations on your purchase.

I'm a little bit confused by your post. On the one hand, you say it looks brand new--is it because it is in "original" condition, or because someone already invested a bunch of money and labor to refurbish it? But...you say you are going to put it in your driveway and work on it--do you mean general checking it out, making minor repairs, or a total rebuild?

As to whether you need a trailer dolly, it all depends on where you are storing it, how long and convoluted your driveway is, etc. Most people don't have trailer dollies, I do, and have my reasons.

But finally, we are all giddy and excited when we get our first, or even subsequent trailers...but, if you haven't already, I would recommend going to the Portal tab, and scrolling down until you find the "trailer inspector's checklist." Download the checklist and go through your trailer with it. This should help you define your task list in terms of making sure you are road/camping ready.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:38 AM   #5

Sorry about the confusion. The exterior shell looks brand spanking new. There is hardly any rust on her from what I can tell. The interior is dated and thats what I want to work on. It looks like the carpeting has been replaced once, and the carpet they put in is awful - so I want to put down some new flooring.

I think I'm just really excited. I'll definitely use the checklist! Once it is in my driveway I'll have more time to look everything over. I'm pretty psyched!!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Congrats! Don't want to rain on your parade or make a big deal out of the obvious but 2 historical areas of concern come to mind:

1. If these are the original axles they are probably shot. If you do a forums search you will find more than you ever want to know on the subject. Bad axles can cause more damage to your trailer.

2. Another boogeyman with this year is rear end separation. Again rather than sidetracking this thread if you do a search you will find what you need to know and then some.

I have heard registering the trailer in Vermont is cheap and you don't have to be a resident.

If you post some photos I'm sure people may be able to give you some specific
advice.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:32 AM   #7

No rain - those items are on my radar. I'm just psyched that I have an Airstream. I know there is going to be some costs. It gets delivered this Sunday so I'll post some pics when it gets here
Old 06-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
$2,700 Registration Fee?!!

I guess I’m happy to live in Michigan based on the registration fee comment. Here we buy a “permanent” trailer license for $200 and that’s it forever. Of course we pay 6% sales tax on the trailer purchase. And we have 4.5% state income tax. And what are claimed to be the highest auto insurance rates in the country. So I guess it all washes out in the end.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Santa Rosa , California
Sorry to post so long after the fact, but how did this turn out? Pictures?

David

2002sheds is offline   Reply With Quote