Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1974 - 1979 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
'74 Ambassador Needs Water Pump

We finally decided to tackle the white tank repair and plumbing before our first trip this spring.

After running some new plumbing, both copper and automotive-style rubber tubing, we discovered that our water pump, which is original part number 36800, was leaking due to a very large crack that ran through the entire base.

I plan to order a ShurFlo 8125 pump from Out-of-Doors Mart tomorrow. Any thoughts on this or recommendations?

After discovering I have no talent for sweating copper pipe, we hired a legitimate (and quite reasonable) plumber to come and do the work. He seems to quickly figure things out, where I would struggle forever and a day and make costly mistakes.

However, before I have him come out for another session in a couple days I would like to know if the ShurFlo is the right / best choice.

The only other challenge I have is that the small in-line water pump filter assembly with mesh screen had a cracked top, which is made of clear plastic. Does anyone know if this original part is still available from Airstream, or if there is a replacement that makes sense?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3437579934.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	575.6 KB
ID:	183539
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Sur Flo is a very good pump and was a good choice. The filter/strainer you need can be purchased at any decent RV parts store. They are common. Just ask for a water pump strainer. Brand is not important.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Thanks! Do you suppose there is a complete replacement for the pump filter assembly? Our clear dome (the part held in place with the top screw) is cracked top to bottom.

Name:	image-734802123.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	183540
Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
We finally decided to tackle the white tank repair and plumbing before our first trip this spring.

After running some new plumbing, both copper and automotive-style rubber tubing, we discovered that our water pump, which is original part number 36800, was leaking due to a very large crack that ran through the entire base.

I plan to order a ShurFlo 8125 pump from Out-of-Doors Mart tomorrow. Any thoughts on this or recommendations?

After discovering I have no talent for sweating copper pipe, we hired a legitimate (and quite reasonable) plumber to come and do the work. He seems to quickly figure things out, where I would struggle forever and a day and make costly mistakes.

However, before I have him come out for another session in a couple days I would like to know if the ShurFlo is the right / best choice.

The only other challenge I have is that the small in-line water pump filter assembly with mesh screen had a cracked top, which is made of clear plastic. Does anyone know if this original part is still available from Airstream, or if there is a replacement that makes sense?

Thanks!

Attachment 183539
Your original water pump is far superior to a Shurflo.

All you need to do, is rebuild it.

Parts are available.

So, it lasted almost 40 years. WOW

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
I had no idea! The Airstream service manual refers to the [cracked] base as part 5625 "Base" on larger model 36800. Are these items available a la carte?

What other parts would be typically ready for a refresh? Assuming items like Dampeners, Diaphragm, Belt (all found in Service Kit 30122)?

Thanks!

Name:	image-167557922.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	183555
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
I had no idea! The Airstream service manual refers to the [cracked] base as part 5625 "Base" on larger model 36800. Are these items available a la carte?

What other parts would be typically ready for a refresh? Assuming items like Dampeners, Diaphragm, Belt (all found in Service Kit 30122)?

Thanks!

Attachment 183555
Unfortunately, the base is not available.

The only way it could crack,is if it froze with water in it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
The PO told me they could not resolve the leaks that came when running the white tank system.

Perhaps it had cracked during one of our rarer and rarer NC cold snaps.

A Revolution 4008 is being installed tomorrow along with a fresh ShurFlo pump filter at the pump head. $100 well spent if I get some leak-free years of boondock water from these retrofits and upgrades.