Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Wickenburg , Arizona
What’s it worth??

Hi Everyone,

Thinking about selling my 1972 Ambassador Land Yacht.... it has almost all of the original parts, including wheel covers. Has two easy fix dents. 🙂 Can anyone give me an idea of value?

Thank you,
Shelly
Shellybob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Since you didn't post enough information to really give you an accurate number, it would just be guess...somewhere between $1,500 & $7,500 based on your limited description.

Check out this "Price vs. Condition" guide...it'll give you an idea of the selling/buying price based on the condition of your trailer. Be sure to honestly assess the "actual condition" of your trailer based on the descriptions given.

Most people "in the market" will use this same website as a reference ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First step with any sale would be to fix the "easy to fix" stuff. That's true of selling an RV, a boat, a house, a car .... If it really is easy to fix (but obviously an issue), your selling price will go up by far more than your costs.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Wickenburg , Arizona
Thank you! Was only looking for a vague idea��
Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
InsideOut gave you a "Vague Idea" of what your trailer is worth with the limited information you provided!!!

The suggestion of fixing the "Easy Fixes" before you sell IF they truly are that easy to fix is a good one. From a buyer's perspective IF these fixes were so easy to fix YOU would have fixed em already! The reality is that dent's and other repairs are NOT cheap fixes, are NOT easy to repair and vintage AS (Airstream) trailer buyer's know that!

With the current vintage Airstream trailer market FLOODED with vintage AS trailers that are gutted, in need of complete restoration or just need some "Easy Fix" repairs as described by the seller your asking PRICE needs to match your trailers real CONDITION. Rarely does that happen when most seller's price their project or "Easy Fix" AS trailers.

Don't be that person (seller) who starts way too high on their asking price and 6 months later is STILL trying to sell their trailer after many price cuts. At that point anyone who might have been interested in your trailer will have moved on and purchased something else.

IF you are buried in your AS trailer monetarily and looking to git out of the AS TRAP QUICK set your asking price LOW, PAY YOUR STUPID TAX NOW and be done with your AS adventure.

IF you have a good solid trailer that truly does need just a few "Easy Fixes" to be a usable trailer a person could camp in NOW fix the "Easy Fixes" and then sell your trailer for "Mo Money"!

There are Lot's of Buyers out there willing to travel to purchase a USABLE vintage AS trailer that a buyer can Purchase Today and Camp In Tomorrow. That's NOT the case when it comes to AS gut job restoration or "Easy Fix" project trailers!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In most of the country, it gets cold soon. Unless somebody has a heated barn or hanger to work in, the focus moves from the Airstream to other efforts. Indeed rain / snow get into the picture as well.

People tend to shop for their "next AS" in the spring. (again in most of the country, Florida is an exception). Listing any RV right now is likely to result in a lower price (if a sale is made) or a long wait (until prices rise in the spring ..... if they do ....). If we are in a down cycle in the RV market by spring (and we may well be) then prices will just keep dropping. Yes, I suppose it could be a boom market, right now that seems unlikely.

So, if you wish, lots of time to spruce up your RV and take care of all the little stuff. Even a good clean is worth doing. Get it so it shows as good as it possibly can.

Bob
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Wickenburg , Arizona
Thank you for the kind advice Bob. I live in Arizona. I lived in my AS for about five years and am not positive yet if I want to part with him yet. This was my very first post on here and was not sure where to start. When I said Easy fix dents, I just meant they are in an easier place than some other places could be. I have had a lot of interest and low offers when visitors have stopped over on my property. I just don’t think I am up for the restoration process but, think someone else might really love getting their hands on an AS that hasn’t been gutted or painted yet❤️

Thanks again,
Shelly
Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Wickenburg , Arizona
Hi Shari,

Just wondering if there was supposed to be a link for the Price vs. Condition guide?

Thanks,
Shelly
Old 09-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Just a thought that you should consider.

You state that visitors have stopped and made low offers for your trailer.

What you consider a low offer may be a realistic value of your trailer in the current condition. Just because that offer is not what you want or you think it's worth does not mean those offers you received were true low ball offers based upon the current AS market and your trailers condition.

You have shared very little detailed information about your trailer and no pictures.

We are here to help you!

We just need a lot more detailed information about your trailer to give you informed answers to the questions you are asking.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've bumped into several Airstream's sitting here and there. Often a conversation with the owner of the property will swing around to "not sure what I want to do with it". Fixing one up *is* a lot of work. Yes I understand just how crazy a rebuild can get both in terms of time and money.

If indeed we spend enough time chatting (and possibly consuming some beer .... burp ...) the topic may get around to "what's it worth". If enough beer has been consumed, I might offer up a range of numbers. Most of the time I mumble something about "that depends ..." and change the subject.

Unless you are getting offers from people *seriously* interested in fixing up an Airstream, I very much doubt they know what a reasonable price is. Even if they do, without digging into the trailer in great detail, there *is* no reasonable price, only a (very wide) range.

If we are talking about a "worst case" range of numbers, "pay me to haul it away" is part of the range. A trailer with a rusted out frame in a location that is near impossible to get to .... yikes .... "Cost to get moving" *is* part of the calculation.

Bob
Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybob9 View Post
Hi Shari,

Just wondering if there was supposed to be a link for the Price vs. Condition guide?

Thanks,
Shelly
There is. Just click where "Price vs Condition" is underlined, it's an active embedded link. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Wickenburg , Arizona
Just wanted to say Shame on you Vintageracer. You certainly were not trying to help me in a friendly manner with your rude comments on my post. Using all of those exclamation marks...??? You appear to be quite the angry person. I will share as much or as little as I want about my Airstream. This forum is supposed to be fun not for attacking people or basically calling them a liar when they post for the very first time ever. Once again, Shame on you. Now go try to be nice and happy. God bless you.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Shelly,

It's been almost 10 months since your previous post in September of 2019 and now you post today to criticize me for trying to help.

Wondering minds want to know.

Did you ever sell your Airstream?

Old 06-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybob9 View Post
... I will share as much or as little as I want about my Airstream. This forum is supposed to be fun not for attacking people or basically calling them a liar when they post for the very first time ever. Once again, Shame on you. Now go try to be nice and happy. God bless you.
As a disinterested third party, I must say that the post you complain about didn't seem to be attacking anyone. You asked for an idea of the worth of your trailer, and the info requested (photos, descriptions, etc) are not out of line in determining some kind of value. Just giving the year and model are not helpful.

And did you ever sell your trailer?? Curious minds want to know!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Wickenburg , Arizona
Vivian,
You seem very disinterested and curious at the same time? hmmmmm?...and stilll .. very ashamed of racerboy still���� and now you too����. Just being negative nastys. Go try to be nice and happy too Vivian.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Wickenburg , Arizona
Vintage.... None of your Beeswax. Your response says.... ??? Go try to be nice, like I said. Cmon. Are you really that bored??? It’s obviously been a very long time since I even posted a response. Is this really all you have going on? TOODLES
Old 06-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Answer the question.

Did you sell your damn trailer?

Old 06-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Judging by the OP's responses, I think perhaps there is some shutdown derangement going on, IMHO.

Fergiddit, who cares?
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote