Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1970 -1973 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
tarheelbornbred

2010 28' International
1972 29' Ambassador
Hot Springs , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to tarheel1972
Roof Vents and AC Replacement

I am ready to replace all three roof vents, plus removing the AC and replacing it with either a vent or a cover. They leak. The bathroom vent is actually a spinning turbine vent that is great, unless it is growling in a gust of wind. It's been fun. I am ready to move on.

My first question, is that with the Fan-Tastic Fan (or similar) then I will also be losing the 3-way ceiling lights (x 3). Are there any good vent/fan replacement options with a ceiling light?

Second, are there any good replacement vent options that allow me to keep the ceiling light? ie with the existing manual crank?

Third, has anyone replaced the AC with a vent? I think the hole is the same 14x14 as the vents?

I won't really miss the ceiling lights. Just want be sure of my options.

BTW, I spent some good time in Fort Lauderdale last summer and much preferred a powerful floor fan, as opposed to an AC unit. AND I was spending my days replacing the carpet. We slept better at night that way also.

Kind regards!
tarheel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
The A/C can be replaced with a fantastic fan. Its the same size opening. I also removed the roof top A/C. Removing the roof top A/C also removes a lot of stress from the shell. After hundreds of miles of bumpy dirt roads, I haven't had a single rivet pop out of anywhere. My guess is this is largely due to no longer having 60 pounds of mass bouncing about on the roof.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If the AC is a newer unit, it has a 14x14 opening. If it is an original Armstrong, there are only a couple of small holes, one for the fan shaft and the other for the refrigerant lines and AC power.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
tarheelbornbred

2010 28' International
1972 29' Ambassador
Hot Springs , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to tarheel1972
Thank you! Fair riddance to the AC unit!
tarheel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Hot Springs eh? Love the area, been there several times - as a matter of fact it's time for me an the wife to get back there and enjoy the area!

As far as your vent fans, I have heard a lot of good things about the fantastic fans and looked at them - but for our 76 Argosy we are going with the MaxxAire deluxe :

https://www.campingworld.com/maxxfan...QaAqlyEALw_wcB

as I have heard good things with it also. It appears that I will have to open the opening up a little but doesn't seem to be a big deal (nothing that a pair of tin snips won't solve). So THAT BEING SAID, if anyone is interested in some original vent fans (one is powered) let me know.

Good luck in your travels and keep us posted -
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

2000 27' Safari
Butte , Montana
Vents need replaced

There is a 2000 safari. This trailer has been stored outside exclusively in the elements since 2013. There are 2 vents measuring 1 foot on either end of the trailer. They are UV'd and blown away leaving two open holes in the roof. They measure 1 foot each. There is also a hood over an air system in the middle about 4 foot by 2 foot. The plastic vents have UV'd from outside storage and blown completely off. The hood over the air system is cracked down the middle.
The trailer has had these roof problems i.e. open holes and cracked air system hood since 2015. Four years worth of precip has gone thru the roof and into the trailer. Four years of precip has gone into thru the roof air system as well.
Average yearly precipitation is 11 in of rain and 26 in of snow a year.
I'm wondering what kind of damage there might be and what kind of repair does it need on the inside. What might happen to the air system motor, etc with 4 years of precip going into it.??
Garystool is offline   Reply With Quote