Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Your one immediate upgrade / replace / correct on a new delivery

Reading through the forums for well over a year, it's become clear to me the general opinion is airstreams are much like other RV producers - they create a magnificent shell and then fill it with lower-end goods from other manufacturers.

For those of you who own a modern airstream, I would like to pose the question: what single item would you most recommend a new purchaser upgrade/replace or correct on delivery (or even go so far as to pay the $500 manufacture exception fee)?

Of note, off the top of my head and from reading the forums, I can see a list (with my own desirability rating denoted from low (*) to high (*****):

the bed mattress (*****)
some form of mattress mold/moisture control (****)
sealed/gel batteries (**)
upgraded inverter (**)
water heater expansion tank (****)
on demand water heater (*)
viable stove/range (****)
solar upgrades (amsolar, etc) (***)
$500 exception - upgraded solar wiring prep (****)
Zip Dee screen room (**)
Viable accordion doors (****)
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Reading through the forums for well over a year, it's become clear to me the general opinion is airstreams are much like other RV producers - they create a magnificent shell and then fill it with lower-end goods from other manufacturers.
I don't understand this thinking.
First of all, I don't think of most "other brands" as having a "magnificent shell"!
Secondly, I have had my trailer for 9 months now and although I have a list of things that I would like to change (and in some cases have changed), I think it is a stretch to suggest that the parts and appliances are "lower-end".

I balance the posts that complain about price with posts that complain about quality and I get the sense that Airstream is trying to walk a fine line here....

If you are concerned about the trailer not being exactly what you want or need, contact someone like Collin Hyde and get something exactly the way you want it!

I personally accept that everything will not be exactly the way I might envision it and I am happy to change those items that displease me.... It is what makes our Airstream "Ours".

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Personally, I think ownership of both new and older units is an evolution. We all personalize our coaches to reflect our individual styles, and levels of usefulness. Granted, there are a few things the factory gets wrong, actually have gotten wrong for a ling time, some people choose to fix/ replace these issues, while others just leave it and go on with their happy ownership.
Personally, mattress and carpeting are issues for me...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
So Bruce, in your nine months of ownership, what would be the number one thing for which you have wanted to change-out/upgrade (or even add), whether you have done so to date or not?

Atomic13 - What would you say is your concern with carpeting? The showroom models I've walked through so far, the key word to carpeting seems to be "none;" except the classic line.

-=-=-

Let me Caveat this thread with one thing. I recognize fully that in many (dare I say most?) online forum environments you tend to get the edges of the bell curve of owners or devotees. There are those who are die hard supporters and love to geek out with new or different ways to view or experience the product and its environment; there are those who are primarily on the forums to complain about something going wrong right now, here, today.

For most forums I've been involved with, the majority of satisfied participants of the topic really aren't that involved. Of course, for more unique or targeted audiences, that participation rate may increase - and may be so here.

My target with this question isn't to suggest or debate quality of the airstream; its to geek out and understand that with any unique product, the key becomes how you accessorize after purchase. In this case, accessorize means how you improve upon, upgrade or handle those issues that made the difference for you.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
I understand

It is a good shell. Better than others. I do agree on the mattress, why shouldn't Airstream strike a deal with Tempurpedic? I have to wonder if it wouldn't be mutually beneficial to both Airstream and the end user to offer high end upgrades. They're flirting with the idea with the Swiss Army and Eddie Bauer thing allready, right?
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
My thing with carpet is this.... it all will eventually stink, and get icky. No matter what you do, it will get dirty. I have a classic.

These are campers afterall, and if you use them, junk gets tracked in, and its just easier to sweep it out. Rubber flooring is the way to go, it won't tear like vinyl, and comes in any pattern imaginable. Will never go bad.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13
My thing with carpet is this.... it all will eventually stink, and get icky. No matter what you do, it will get dirty. I have a classic.

These are campers afterall, and if you use them, junk gets tracked in, and its just easier to sweep it out. Rubber flooring is the way to go, it won't tear like vinyl, and comes in any pattern imaginable. Will never go bad.
This leads to a tangential question - is the carpet and/or vinyl flooring both laid around features such as the beds, kitchen counters or tables; or laid underneath such that you need to remove such features to appropriately replace the flooring?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
OK Ian,

First on the list was increased battery capacity! I removed the group 24 AGM and replaced it with a 4D AGM Lifeline battery resulting in more than double the capacity.

I am puzzled by the entire design of the 12v electrical system of a travel trailer. I believe it is a throwback to early times and needs to be reconsidered. The simple answer is to switch the stock converter for a three step unit, I opted for a slightly different solution and replaced the converter with a marine charger with enough capacitors built in that it will run as a power supply too. I get temperature compensated three step charging, very robust construction and much faster charging of a discharged battery.

I spent this past Monday evening replacing the simple Attwood furnace thermostat with a Dometic single zone thermostat so that the entire hvac systems can now be controlled from one place. My 5' wife likes this as she can now reach the controls of the A/C.

I understand that Airstream has upgraded the mattress design on new all trailers product lines so that is off the list.

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I would say carpet (should be a sweepable surface) , as well, but the new units I have seen do not have any. I'd say cheap bath sink faucet and plastic bowl, but the factory has upgraded those as well.
So, I have to move mine along to catch up with the product evolution.

IanPoulin,
The carpet is laid down in the empty shell, then the furniture (and appiances, and fresh water tank, et al) is installed on top. I'll probably put down a vinyl sheet or fake hardwood, but where the carpet transitions to the vinyl flooring in the bath area there's a step up of about 1/2", so I'll have to level it out first.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'll wear the interior stuff out as is, I like it and it's working good after 7 months total use. Otherwise:

Factory solar pkg, full awning pkg, upgrade wheels/tires to 16" Michelin XL, upgrade or replace all cheap plastic 11 FC/Int'l clearance lights and bases to new Classic lights.

Exterior RV water softener.

Propride hitch if can possibly work it into the budget. Andersen hitch if you can't.

Short wheelbase tow vehicle capable of doing the job so you can get around easily when you arrive at your destination.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Personally, I wouldn't do any upgrades to a new unit unless after using it for a while I had a burning desire to add or change something. I had a motorhome for a few years and never did any upgrades or changes on it. I took trips with it and the trips were my focus. I wish I had taken more trips and I wish I had taken more pictures of the trips I did take.

Maybe I'd upgrade to a really good camera.

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post

For those of you who own a modern airstream, I would like to pose the question: what single item would you most recommend a new purchaser upgrade/replace or correct on delivery (or even go so far as to pay the $500 manufacture exception fee)?

Of note, off the top of my head and from reading the forums, I can see a list (with my own desirability rating denoted from low (*) to high (*****):

the bed mattress (*****)
some form of mattress mold/moisture control (****)
sealed/gel batteries (**)
upgraded inverter (**)
water heater expansion tank (****)
on demand water heater (*)
viable stove/range (****)
solar upgrades (amsolar, etc) (***)
$500 exception - upgraded solar wiring prep (****)
Zip Dee screen room (**)
Viable accordion doors (****)
The very, very first upgrade, that's most important, you didn't mention.

Waterproof the trailer is always first.

Window, access door, entrance door and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

Then, you can decide what you want to do second, without any fear of water (rain or melting snow) damaging what you already have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The first needed up-grade. Replacing the batteries that the P-lax converter ruined on the dealer lot. (pro-rated by Interstate)

Second, Installing a 3 stage IOTA converter.

Third, re-sealing the black tank vent.

Forth, replacing all interior and exterior fasteners with stainless. (taillights, clearance lights etc.)

And lastly...doing a thorough PDI, pretending I worked at Airstream and it hadn't left the Factory yet.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I would caution against ranking upgrades based upon others personal opinions, unless your are in product improvement with Airstream (if they even have such a department. Sure, take ideas from the forums, but go camping and use your new trailer for a year and then decide for yourself. Most of the items on your list have proven to be quite acceptable in use on our 2011 FC23FB. In over 18,600 miles and 134 nights in all seasons and conditions, it hasn't leaked water, ingested dust (except for when we left the roof vents open on a long gravel road), caused sleepless nights on the original mattress, failed to cook our food, presented any problem in dumping the waste tanks, or had a tire failure with the original GYM's. My upgrade $$ went into a self-selected solar system (2 x 85 watt panels and a BlueSky MPPT controller) to better enable our preferred camping style. I installed AGM batteries when the original Interstates failed prematurely. I've made several small personal use improvements, and will continue to tinker (retired engineer). I am considering going to 15" wheels and tires for additional ground clearance. I could wish for better window opening mechanisms, and the entry door should open to the other side as it blocks one window when open.

All in all - a pretty good travel trailer and we've enjoyed it immensely.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You posed an interesting question and I am sure you will get a zillion different issues.

I purchased my '06 in '09 and it was only slightly used. My ONLY complaint with Airstream was the converter they installed. It was a single stage POS in my opinion and completely toasted the on board batteries. I can't speak for the new units but anything prior to 2006 should be looked at.

As far as filling the shell with cheap appliances, I do not agree at all with your take. Mine came with sturdy drawer slides and cabinet locks and Moen faucets and fixtures throughout. There were no plastic sinks in my trailer.

I am not unhappy with the bed either and if I do anything in that area it will probably be only to add a memory foam topper. I agree with those who question the use of carpeting in a camper. I suppose if your park it at a permanent upscale RV park the carpet wouldn't be a problem. In a few more years I plan to replace the carpet and the vinyl flooring with something better, cork perhaps.

OH, the wheels and tires. There is an ongoing discussion/debate over LT or ST tires and 15 vs 16 inch wheels. You might want to look into that.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
1.Upgrade tires and wheels to 16' w/Michelin lts and T.P.M.S system

2.Throw away factory cheaply built cracking skylites that leak and install Maxim skylights then reseal all roof items windows and doors properly.Then re caulk shower inclosure the right way.

3.Replace unreliable water heater circuit board with Dinosaur brand board that wont quit on you when you need it the most.

4.Replace $50 mattress with Tempurpedic mattress.

5.Replace worthless dribbling shower head with Oxygenics showerhead.

6.Replace faded non matching exterior water heater door and furnace door with stainless steel doors with bug screens that should have been on the unit when built.

7.Replace converter with 3 stage unit from Best Converters that does not boil the batteries dry when traveling to your destination.

8.Replace wet cell anemic group 24 batteries with Lifeline batteries.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
7.Replace converter with 3 stage unit from Best Converters that does not boil the batteries dry when traveling to your destination.
So do you use a long extension cord or a generator to keep your converter charging the batteries while you're traveling to your destination?
Oh maybe an inverter to supply 120V to the converter, I did suggest that in another thread.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I replaced original carpet with high grade berber a few yrs. ago will need cleaning this spring not filthy, [will rent cleaner from home depot] we use AS every where not only on paved spots never take shoes off when entering unless muddy have vinyl runner down middle, small piece of berber at door my opinion fake wood floors looks cheap some vinyl is not bad but is not for me
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Here's what I did to my 71:
1Reflective roof coating
2.Removable shelves in wardrobe and bathroom closet.
3.Change out the old lights for LEDs
4.Add insulation
5.New furnace and water heater
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another vote for try it out and make your own judgments.. after a few dozen nights and a few miles of travel.. As example, we replaced old carpet with new carpet, and folks without pets and who don't camp a lot at beach or boondocks can do very well with carpeted interiors, using an outdoor large fabric mat and inner mat inside door.. Some people actually cook meals with microwave ovens, others like to bake and broil. We use stovetop burners and they're fine. We replaced old humming power supply (from 1980's) with 3 stage unit after buying first set of new battteries, so that's a good one. We put 2" memory foam topper onto mattress, and figured we'll get another 6 or 8 years out of that. Replacing things like control boards or thermostats are either basic maintenance or uniquely personal items. A quick look at any gathering of Airstreams should convince you that no two trailerites are the same, and you should pursue a plan to make your Airstream as close to perfect as you can get it for your needs...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote