Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Which Airstream vintage model?

Hi, I’m new to the Airstream Forum. I don’t have an Airstream at this time but I’m doing some research to help me narrow down all the models there are. I haven’t decided whether I want to purchase a more recent model or get into a shell-off restoration on an older model. Sunlight is a very important factor for me, especially as I plan to live and travel in it full-time. Ultimately, I want an Airstream travel trailer that is at least 27 feet long, doesn’t have SOs, and has the most window and/or largest window openings. Which vintage models would you suggest I consider?
HighRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome High Road: Let me see if I can get a discussion going on what you might be looking for. You mention a couple of key requirements like "full time", > 27', lots of sunlight.

I might suggest you look for the 34', triple axle Classic, or Limited models. They started making them in 1983 and pretty much stopped regular production in or around 2008. We have a 86 Limited. You can find a couple of floor layouts for these models, e.g. twin beds or a double bed. Check on the Airstream.com website, archived documents.

I suggest the 34 Limited, maybe even as late as 2000. There are many examples for sale. Many are in darn good shape. You can always decorate to your tastes. There are always things to fix or make better on an old Airstream. The extra room in the 34 is a blessing for full timers. I recommend a 3/4 ton tow truck for a more secure experience in the mountains.

We really enjoy ours. We have had it since 05. Picture below.

Airstreams are nice ovens in the hot sun. The aluminum exterior gets pretty warm. We find we pull the blinds to lessen heat ingress inside. If we want sunshine, we step outside. Airstreams are best in temperate climates. Minnesota winters aren't made for Airstreams, and neither are Texas summers. Be prepared to travel where the weather suits your Airstream.

There, you may now get 50 more recommendations better than mine.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407 Off To Denver (Small).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	291866  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
All of the Airstreams have great light. You'll probably end up choosing by size and availability rather than window configuration.

Later models have larger windows. You can look for a vintage model that has a solar dome and replace it with one of the popular Maxim skylights. I believe those were available on 60s and early 80s models.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote