Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a number of dealers out there that I would never / ever want to work on my trailer. There are also a number of them that have done quite well when I've dealt with them.

Research is called for in this case. One clue: When you drive up, do you see *any* older Airstreams being worked on? If not, people probably have learned to go elsewhere ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Hi Uncle Bob,
They have mixed reviews online as most dealerships do. Almost always a 1 or a 5 no middle ground and are 50/50. A good friend of mine lives in the Denver area and uses them and is impressed with their work but said they are always backed up year round.
I'm picking it up Monday, so I will post how it goes.

Thanks again for all your input! you and everyone have been wonderful, with great insights.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
For sure, connect water, leave it connected, fire up water heater, use all plumbing fixtures.....Use the furnace ......

These two things can render your camper unusable and really mess up a camping trip......
other little stuff can be addressed and repaired without leaving you in a bind.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Hello Airstreamers!
After searching for the perfect used AS, we finally made the decision (based on price) to buy new.
We are getting a 2019 Serenity 27FB. We absolutely love them!
I'm going to Denver to pick it up in the next week or 2 and would like to know what you all think are things to be on the lookout for when I do the walk through inspection. I'm not as concerned with how things operate but things that typically need attention when they are brand new. I will be making about an 800 mile trip back home, which should shake things out or up a bit. So I want to do a good walk through.
Thank you all in advance, you have been wonderful in answering our questions while looking!

Check manufacture dates on all tires, tires retirement dates are 5 years from manufacturing, on both propane tanks, recertification after 12 years. Manufacture date of both battery’s. If purchasing a 2019 all of the above should be 2019. Stay close to dealer a night or so and use EVERYTHING in the trailer. Be sure to have dealer walk through the hitching up and unhitching. Fill all three tanks full full and check for leaks before leaving dealers lot. Good luck and safe travels with your AS
Old 12-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Check manufacture dates on all tires, tires retirement dates are 5 years from manufacturing, on both propane tanks, recertification after 12 years. Manufacture date of both battery’s. If purchasing a 2019 all of the above should be 2019. .......
Hi

Right now you can buy a 2020 trailer. It will not have parts dated 2020 on it. At best they will be dated 2019. Some of the early trailers rolled down the line back in April. They could easily have a few parts dated to 2018 on it. At some point a new 2020 *could* roll down the line with all 2020 dated parts on it. That two year wide "window" of dates makes any guess based on model year *very* difficult.

Bob
Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Right now you can buy a 2020 trailer. It will not have parts dated 2020 on it. At best they will be dated 2019. Some of the early trailers rolled down the line back in April. They could easily have a few parts dated to 2018 on it. At some point a new 2020 *could* roll down the line with all 2020 dated parts on it. That two year wide "window" of dates makes any guess based on model year *very* difficult.

Bob
If the parts are not age sensitive, then older parts/designs are not necessarily a bad thing. Companies are always looking the reduce costs (cost savings programs placed upon engineering) and innovations. Innovations are more difficult to come by so there are always ways to reduced costs through cheaper parts, lower assembly costs and skipping some QC.
cicho69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The basic issue is that in terms of an OEM, Airstream buys a *tiny* quantity of things like tires and batteries. A single Ford or Toyota plant goes through more in a day (more likely before lunch on that day) than AS goes through in a year. AS gets some things in a couple times a year, simply because that's the minimum ship quantity for this or that. Indeed this drives the accountants a bit nuts when they run up the dollars tied up in inventory......

Bob
Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Thank you!

Finally! We are new owners of an 2019 AS International Serenity 27FB.
I did the PDI and walk through with great confidence thank to you all! Windish RV in Lakewood, CO was fantastic. They were very prepared and with the exception of 1 screw on a cabinet door, they surpassed my expectations. New batteries, extremely clean and winterized. They proceeded to walk me through de-winterizing, filling the freshwater tank, going through all the plumbing, electrical and entertainment systems. Talked about maintenance and then when all of my questions were answered, 3.5 hour later, they walked me through winterizing the unit again. We spent the first night in it at a camp ground with bathrooms so we could leave it winterized. Loved the entire experience! Home now and can't wait for more adventures to begin.
Thank you all once again for all the priceless input!

Mike
Old 12-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHBABY View Post
Whatever you do, make sure to take the kitchen sink cover off before you travel. We didn't and by the time we got home, our vinyl floor was gouged. The sink cover is stored in the clothes closet. Also, check the edges around the table top, ours were very sharp and they fixed them when in for service. Good luck, we love our 2018 Serenity.
I certainly should have listen to your advise on storing the sink cover! I asked about it on our PDI and the tech said not to worry at all about it. "they are recessed and heavier now, it's not going anywhere" He obviously has never pulled one. It was on the floor after driving 300 miles on the interstate. Luckily no damage that I could see. It's in the closet from now on.
Thank you for your input!
Old 06-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Threshold Screw not seated from factory on 2014 Int'l 27FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnerdog View Post
Find one that is two to five years old in excellent condition. You'll save a bundle and the original owner will have handled all the problem that it will take you the next two years to get corrected.
Not necessarily, I just found (today 6/15/2020) a Threshold Screw not seated from factory on 2014 Int'l 27FB and we are the second owners. The traction tape finally wore through where I could see the screw sitting up 1/4". I thought it backed out, so I tried to screw it back in. Well it couldn't have ever been seated in the first place, because the self tapping screw couldn't get through the aluminum. I took a one size smaller drill bit and drilled through the aluminum, then put a #3 Phillips on a ratchet and tapped the threads through till the screw seated nicely. Crazy stuff for sure.
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

pensacola , Florida
2020 FC windows

“Issues” just keep coming. Camped in a rain storm and found multiple window leaks. Water seeps inside between the glass and the screen, runs down the screen then down the wall. Hard to believe so many glitches on a new trailer. Not the experience I had expected.
drano is offline   Reply With Quote