Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
It's looks like you could play basketball in your '34. If my wife and I were semi-full timing it, it would be far more tempting to go big. As it stands, we want to do this crazy 49 states in a year road trip where I'm sure there will be a great deal of wiggling around odd places. After we after to return to the salt mines, the tin girl will be mostly a weekender. This is one of the reasons I was leaning towards a 25'. It's big enough to give us some elbow room but still small enough to fit in most places we'd want to pull over.

Of course, if we managed to find a really good deal on something a bit larger than we'd prefer, the savings could go into a new 1-ton tow vehicle.... Ah, ha! You are using the Force on me! Seriously, I think our plan is to just keep bumping around tin until we find something my wife loves. If she's happy, I can find a way to make almost anything work.

The pictures look great and the floor plans are very helpful. Of course, there's nothing to say a little modification here or there...
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Hampstead38,
Yes some places can be pretty tight with the 34' and some times campgrounds put you out in the BIG-RIG pull throughs where the people hardly come out of their rigs. 30' is usually the maximum length for the "good" shaded sites.

Both the 30' and the 34' back up really nice and I have been in some tight sites in both of them.

Do you have any plans to visit any in person?
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Well, the summer schedule is a little hectic. We have a number of family obligations and two of three daughters are home. My wife and I also have a road trip to Chicago planned around her birthday in late July. We wanted to stop in the vintage campers place in Peru, Indiana, to look at some old girls, but the schedule just didn't work out. As my wife and I find the time, we'll continue to do scouting trips. I suppose it's a bit like looking at houses. The more you see, the more you learn. We'd like to sneak out to a rally, meet some folks and see some rigs. I suppose when we happen upon something that 1) seems like a really good deal or; 2) seems really unusual and interesting, we probably make a special trip. I'd also like to find the time to visit a couple of restoration shops. Based on my experience with vintage cars and older homes, the more you see what's going on inside, the better you understand how things work. I always found the best lessons were the ones I learned with my hands.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #44
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I recommend you check out Trailer Buff in central Virginia. Their number can be found on the net. You buy one and they restore it. Takes about 14 months to two years to get it, but... somethings are worth the wait. Here are a bunch all looking for new owners....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2293.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	63072Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	63070

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	63069Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	63071
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
You have a link? My Google search on trailer buff didn't give me anything.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #46
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
They don't appear to have a website, but...

I found the following info:

732 Rockfish School Lane
Afton, VA , 22920
Phone: 434-361-2500
FAX: 434-361-2501
Business Activity: Service

Products Description:
We refurbish, renovate or restore vintage travel trailers. Trailer Buff is a vintage travel trailer (mostly pre- 1958) restoration and refurbishing shop specializing in frame off work with an eye to detail and quality workmanship. Bring your own special trailer in or select one from our extensive selection of Airstreams. We also have other trailers such as Spartan, Boles-Arrow, Curtis Wright or we can find what you are looking for.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 AM   #47
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Martha and Dave Makel run the place and the work they put out is very good. If you call them you can go for a friday tour. I went a few weeks ago and was blown away by the attention to detail. They are located about 3 1/2 hours drive from you. The work is very impressive. Here is a 1937 clipper being restored for a museum. Dave is the guy in the red shirt explaining the process of riveting.

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	63080Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	63079
for fun, I played "fantasy Restoration"... here is my pick. Not an Airstream, a Curtis Clipper...

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	63078
I have posted about the Makel's before. I must have been very impressed with what they do. Abe Lincoln, AKA vajeep, has a 1976 Overlander they did for him. Contact Abe and get his two cents about Trailer Buff.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I found the following info:

732 Rockfish School Lane
Afton, VA , 22920
Phone: 434-361-2500
FAX: 434-361-2501
Business Activity: Service

Products Description:
We refurbish, renovate or restore vintage travel trailers. Trailer Buff is a vintage travel trailer (mostly pre- 1958) restoration and refurbishing shop specializing in frame off work with an eye to detail and quality workmanship. Bring your own special trailer in or select one from our extensive selection of Airstreams. We also have other trailers such as Spartan, Boles-Arrow, Curtis Wright or we can find what you are looking for.
I agree with Frank, Trailer Buff is a great Vintage Trailer Shop. Just remember "they renovate or restore" not small repairs. Please pm me with any questions and I will try to help. Or come see us at the Vintage Trailer Jam!!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
This thread is starting to look suspiciously like a long, drawn-out "Search" thread. I'd say you're coming down with a severe case of aluminitus.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Thanks for the contact info and the pictures. It sounds worth a drive to Virginia to look at what they do.

I restored a vintage pick up (1952 Chevy) from the frame up and two older houses. I gave the pick up to my nephew and sold the houses... and much like my time in the military, I tend to remember the good things and forget the bad.

My wife likes the idea of restoring a vintage trailer. For the hiatus (and beyond), she thinks its important to have something with real character (not just to travel with a real character). If we were to go vintage, my preference would be renovation rather than restoration. I deeply respect the historic preservation mindset. When I restored the Chevy, everything was original down to the vacuum wipers, 6v system and 216 with "dippers." When the nephew "inherited" the old girl, well, she changed a bit.

My thought on a vintage trailer would be to keep the exterior "period" but to make the interior comfortable and modern (while respecting the vintage aesthetic). In other words, we'll have a TV but we'll find a way to hide it. Personally, I like the idea of a relatively open floor plan so we could make the bed we need work and tweak the dimension of the head. I'm not concerned about the time, since we seem to have plenty right now. I am a bit concerned about "the budget." How much restoration will $50k buy these day? I frankly don't know... but I suspect that about ten minutes into the project I'll start fibbing myself about what it's really costing. I guess that's aluminitis?

Added: My wife and I decided awhile ago about the "hiatus." It took about five seconds to decide that the "splash logo" white boxes with 70s "avocado and harvest" interiors were not for us. We laughed out loud when we walked through the seemingly 100' long fifth wheel with the fake fireplace. My wife's grandmother always wanted (but could never afford) an Airstream. We're long-time train lovers and have ridden a number of historic trains. The Airstream has a very "Pullman-car" feel to it. Frankly, it would be nice if we lived in a world where there were more travel trailer manufacturers building high quality, well designed, artistic and attractive units. For better or worse, it seems like the only choices my wife and I can get excited about are a new Airstream or a vintage trailer (Airstream, Avion, Spartan, etc.)

As for aluminitis, my wife would prefer paint to polish. If we go vintage, she's already indicated a willingness to entertain the Great Northern Railroad paint scheme. We're still negotiating on the "Rocky" the goat logo.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yup, that's aluminitis. I believe people who have already performed vintage car restorations are especially susceptible.

For an idea of how to renovate a trailer with modern style and materials, but at the same time respecting the period of the unit, you might want to check out the designs of David Winnick. When I finally obtain a vintage unit of my own, my renovation will likely follow a similar path. Here's a link to the project section of his website:

past and current Airstream projects

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Is that we appreciate history or that we're just very slow learners?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Hampstead,
Check out this Craig's List find from Westminster, MD. 1967 Overlander 26' for $3,500.00. Needs brake pads.

1967 Airstream Overlander 26'

I'll also PM this to you in case you don't see this.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #54
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just ran across this link in another thread:1985 Airstream 25’ Sovereign Travel Trailer
It is for a 1985 Sovereign 25' trailer for $3000. The seller has removed a bunch of the stuff, but still has it all for you to put back together as you see fit (more or less). It would be towable by your Titan, and the cash you would save on this vintage, but still relatively late-model, trailer will allow you to do a lot with it, and have a bunch of cash left over to travel.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm following up on the Maryland listing. It's the first time I have actually seen an Airstream for sale in the old line state. We've communicated with some nice folks and are talking about a '76 Argosy (California) and a '66 Tradewind (Texas). Finding something within a reasonable distance, however, saves the travel to inspect a trailer and getting it back here. I really appreciate the fine folks in the forum helping us out. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Update:

We had a lead on a 72 Argosy in Fairfax, Virginia, but it sold. I would have liked to take a look, just to better familiarize myself with the Argosy. I dropped an email to the '67 Overlander on Craiglist in nearby Westminster. No response yet. We waiting on interior pictures for a few other options. I'll keep you posted on any advances.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #57
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
if you would think about a 91 29ft the wife and i are thinking about selling ours clean and nice i can send you all the pic and info you need
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Thank you, Osolow, but 29' is a bit long and heavy for us. According to my "cheat sheet," the dry weight is about 5600 lbs. I'd like to keep my Nissan Titan as our tow vehicle. With everything loaded, I think the 91 Excella 29 is a bit more trailer than we're looking for. Thanks, though. I appreciate the thought and hope you find a buyer.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
NA , NA
’79 Sovereign International

Hi all! I’m new to the forums and have found everyone’s knowledge of and enthusiasm for all things AS to be contagious!

I’ve found a 31 ft ’79 Sovereign International for sale and would like your opinion of what it might be worth. The interior is in great shape and almost everything is original. The floor seems to be solid, there are no signs of rear separation and no leaks can be found. The skin needs a lot of work (it looks like someone tried to polish it and left a lot of black smudges on it) and the blue paint is cracked and faded. I’m having a mechanic check everything out tomorrow but it looks like the tires will need to be replaced, the axles are very brown but there appears to be no rust spots (I couldn’t get close enough to tell), the film in between the windows is peeling badly, the back window has some condensation between the panes and the belly pan is coming loose at three rivets.

I’m trying to practice frugal living, so I’m looking for something to live in full time while making repairs as I can afford them. I cannot afford a money pit at this time, but for the right AS I would gladly put in the time and money required over the next few years to slowly bring it back to its former glory.

I do not have a lot of money but would like to pay the seller a fair price. Any indication of a ballpark figure would be greatly appreciated!!!
karmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it might be best to finish the list of needed items after the mechanic checks it out. it's hard to estimate price before you think/know what it needs.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote