Peter, our new AS is a FC 23D bunk. Thx.
I agree with the distance comment on the dealer. Even if the local dealer didn't match, I probably would have went with them. But this is also real money, and it pays to do a little negotiation. Besides, what's the worst thing anyone can say if you ask, "no". But if you don't ask, you will never know.
Our negotiations went like this:
1. Visited the local (40 miles) dealer and looked at AS. Selected the 23D. He gave me price, I told him I was going to consider it.
2. Two days later I called back, changed some of the options, and asked him to do his best. He came down a little.
3. I called several other dealers and asked for pricing on the same model/options. One came in at 19.5% off MRSP (1600 miles away).
4. I called local dealer back told him I was going to buy, another dealer was much cheaper, but if he matched it I would buy from him. I made it clear I was not going to keep going back and leverage the other guy next, that if he matched this, I was buying.
5. He agreed to match, and now we get our new AS in December, with local dealer, at the price we wanted.
Over all very painless process in my opinion. We really like the sales guy at the local place, and will be ASing soon!