Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Park City , Utah
What 2 look 4

Hi, New to Airstream trailers, looking at buying a 91 29' Excella...they r asking $14000.00...What am I looking for? Good and bad? Is this a good year? Etc....Any help would be very appreciated as I'm way new to AS
Gregory T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
That is essentially a premium price for the trailer. It needs to be very good in all respects, and ready to go camping immediately to command a price that high. Some '90s trailers have OSB subfloors. I don't know what years/models have that, but it's easy to tell under carpets, etc. I wouldn't want a trailer with OSB floors.

Theforums has an excellent Trailer Inspectors Checklist to use.

If you're serious about buying and have no experience with Airstreams, consider trying to find a volunteer inspector in the area where the trailer is to help you look it over. The Portal page of the Forums has a search function for inspectors, it's in the rightmost column.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Exterior
(1) count the dings, dents, creases, major scratchs, hail dents on front and rear end caps, etc. Each curved panel is a $1700 replacement if required. (2) how much oxidation? $4000 to recoat(3) stored outside in the sun? (4) original owner? If there are a number of imperfections, can you live with them? You will know a good unit that has been stored inside.
(5) look at top of wheels vs bottom of wheel well, there should be 3-4" clearance or rubber bushings are compressing. (6) do you need new tires, are the tires wearing even, no bent axle. (7) if stored outside, check awnings for mildew. (9) does it have panorama windows in front with privacy glass, (10) how much rust on frame in front and rear, (11) two gas bottles aluminium, (12) check front wraparound windows for leaks, (13) good cover for gas bottles, (14) elec jack works? (15) spare tire under front, (16) look under front tongue area for wiring harness, has there been any "hot wiring" around problems. (17) does it have stone guards in front (18) do fold out alum steps work, do they have a brace to support weight.

This is just a start on the exterior. A/C unit on top, tv antennae on top, solar would be a plus.

I will do an interior if someone else does not. I think $14000 is at the top of the market price and needs to be an exceptionally good unit. How much have they spent on the trailer last five years?

I think Airstream was at the top of their game in the mid to late 1980's. My unit has been a very good trailer with much use.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Great suggestions so far! I would also check out this old (but a goodie) thread on considerations of buying an Airstream. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Good luck!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Park City , Utah
Thank you

That's an awesome reply(4)...Good info....much appreciated!!
Gregory T is offline   Reply With Quote