Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Walk through Wednesday, any suggestions for new owners?

We are finally getting the 19' 05 Bambi CCD, , the walk through is Wed (after hitch installation), and am wondering if there is anything we as new owners should ask or be aware of before driving this off the lot. Have been through it once, everything inside looks perfect and well made, not a scratch to be seen. Will be fun to see how everything works, and hope between hubby and I one of us remembers when we're on our own!

Our dealers a real good guy, he said to stay local first time out so if there are problems they will come to us and help which was a nice offer, so customer service here will be great, but if you were to bring a check list what would you put on it to ask?

Thanks to all who have helped here!! From our "new owner supplies" list to our Reese DC hitch, this place has been an amazing source of info which I refer to often, you're a great group

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:40 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
barbara

check the floor very carefully.

seems to be alot of posts by folks with new units that have problems with vinyl flooring, rips, screws protruding, and debris trapped under the floor.

enjoy your new rig! bet you can't wait!

john
Old 08-24-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
the walk through is Wed ..... Will be fun to see how everything works, and hope between hubby and I one of us remembers when we're on our own!
Our dealers a real good guy, he said to stay local first time out so if there are problems they will come to us and help which was a nice offer, so customer service here will be great, but if you were to bring a check list what would you put on it to ask?.......

Barbara:

Remember...your dealer is still in the "Sales Mode" -- suspect that he is telling you only what you want to hear......below is a quote from jordanvm...

jordandvm
Corvallis, Oregon
2004 22' International CCD You might want to videotape the walk through! My wife and I only remembered about 20% of what we were told about our new unit! Putting up the ZipDee awning for the 1st time was a real trip! It looked so easy when he put it up at the dealership. We really struggled with it! Had the water heater on during the trip home from our first outing. Only when I was parking the unit in storage did I hear the hissing from the heater, telling me something was still on! There's lots to remember for 1st time users. I wish A/S would give new owners a video tape of things not to forget to do!
Jim Jordan
Corvallis, OR

Besides a video, see if you could find a disinterested friend to "hang out" with you through the walk through....somone not caught up in the passion of the thing.

Put water pressure on the FW system as soon as you get there, and leave it on, and then check for leaks as late in the walk through as you can - sometimes newly installed fittings will develope leaks during the tow from the factory to the dealer even though they were properly torqued....it just happens...quite often. Faucets and sink connections may also leak after initial installation.

Likewise, put a couple of gallons of water in both the grey and black tanks as soon as you have water pressure. Just before finishing the outside walk around pull the sewerage cap (don't open the Thetford valves) to order to check that the drainage valves are not leaking.

Hit the outside with a good stream from a water hose to insure that the windows are not leaking, and all seals are installed on the roof.

Push and pull on all panels (especially the interior wood panels) and look for movement and protruding screws at each intersection - the entire length....there are LOTS of intersections with an incredible total length. Do not rush through this inspection, then do it again. You can't do an inspection by "looking" at the total view.....focus your eyes on each square inch by square inch.....write eveything down and present the total list to the dealer for rectification - make sure to keep a copy of the list for yourself.

Good Luck and Happy Airstreaming!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I just picked up my 2005. Yes, be sure to check out the vinyl flooring closely, and the fantastic fan screws.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Dan & Barb,
Also if you unit is supposed to have a shower "cut-off" valve on the handle, make sure it is installed (essential for boondocking). After struggling to shut off the two-handled hot/cold water to suds up, then restarting the water to rinse off, we wondered why we didn't have a shower stop valve on the shower handle. According to the specs on Airstream.com, our unit was supposed to have one, but evidently they did not install it. Only now are we getting the "cut-off installed.
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Barbara.

You must be excited! It gets even better once you take ownership. You will love the 19' CCD. We do ours.

Have the dealer put some water in the fresh-tank. Before that, check to see if they have a dump area on their lot. Paul Sherry did and that was real convenient. You then can haul the new coach home empty. The dealer should have filled both propane tanks so that you can check all things gas: stove/oven, fridge (when in propane mode), furnace, and water heater. Make sure EVERYTHING works before you leave the lot. When I picked up our trailer, the dealer had the fridge running, Air conditioner on, lights hot water, anything and everything.

I camped out in the parking lot of Sherry for two nights, just to check things out, before heading 6 hours back to Chicago.

The only problem we had was a faulty LP gas detector that kept me awake for two nights. That the dealer replaced that. And three asprin for my headache.

Practice hooking up the trailer to tow vehicle, and make sure trailer lights are working properly: turn signals, brake lights. Also check the brake controller.

There is a fellow on this list, Road King Moe, who has a vast wealth of knowledge, put together a list of things to have for your trailer:

http://www.airstream.com/airstreamer...opic.php?t=569

The dealer may even give you a complimentary "starter kit" that includes a sewer hose, some black tank deoderizer, RV toilet paper, etc.

It may seem overwhelming, but we've been there, too. Questions? Ask away.

Jonathan
Old 08-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for great advice from all these posts, I would have missed so much otherwise and I am so grateful!

Am printing out this post and bringing along (he will think me a PITA I'm sure!) and will take time and many notes during the process, I wish I had a camcorder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Barbara.

You must be excited! It gets even better once you take ownership. You will love the 19' CCD. We do ours.

Jonathan
I am so excited I can't sleep , I am here gleaning all I can or online looking at everything from sewer supplies to bedding (white bedspread not great for Ernie the pup!) dishes, and what bbq to buy....this will be more complete than our home when we're done, and much more fun. The home we are a servant to, this will serve us and we have no yardwork!

Dan and I can't wait to get it and go, we camped as kids in the Eastern Sierras, in our VW vanagon as young parents, and been in cabins or condos ever since, so really looking forward to life with the Bambi in our 50's and beyond!!

Hope all goes well, a few issues popped up so keep fingers crossed...see other posts about the dealer prep fee and with luck we'll be camping by the weekend!

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote