Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Trailer vs Interstate, need advice (Newbie)

Hi, Please help me decide if I should get a trailer or an Interstate Van.
I am interested in the Flying Cloud 19 being pulled by a 2500 Cummings Diesel truck.
What concerns me:
1. The fridge is not a 3-way and you can not run it while traveling to keep your food cold. Propane while driving might not be safe, correct?
2. There is no generator. I live in Florida and it would be nice to run the A/C in case there is no hookup.
I am new at this and would appreciate any other advice.
Thanks, Gerhard
gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Hi Gerhard,

I have a 2006 Interstate which my wife and I use more often than I ever imagined. It is great for camping, tailgating UD football games, picking up guests at the airport in high style, visiting friends and relatives and only asking for a flat spot and a power cord. Fuel economy is far better than pulling a trailer. We have taken it to Alumapalooza for the last three years where trailers far outnumber vans. Trailer owners seem to love the van, van owners seem to love the trailers.

Advantages of the van...while on the road, passenger can use the rest room, Fridge runs on propane while driving, you can start the generator and microwave a meal en route. The non driver can walk around, stretch legs, sit in the back and read. Disadvantages of the van....wet bath, shower means everything in the BR is wet, sofa becomes your bed, you must make it and put linens away every morning. An airstream trailer will (supposedly) last forever, the Interstate is a motor vehicle, they will wear out eventually.

Hope these ideas help your decision.

Dave
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It all depends on your personal preferences.

I can't imagine a family of five being happy campers in an Interstate, and though I know a few people who've gone full time in a number of very small trailers, I can't see doing that in an Interstate on any kind of voluntary basis... But fleeing a hurricane or having a house fire - well an interstate could be a welcome haven.

Interstate benefits:
  • not actually a bad "daily driver" - the outrageous price tag can be offset quite a bit if it becomes the family's "mom van" in place of a second car
  • best for weekenders and short trips
  • small enough to discourage your grown children complete with their three brats from moving back in!
  • option of never paying for a hotel room OR a campground, every apartment complex, and even most motel parking lots are places to sleep free
  • fun for tailgating
  • taking kids shopping "MOM I gotta GO" is never a crisis

Trailer benefits:
  • a family of 4, 5, 6 can fit in one
  • minimal but real privacy - bring guests along for more than a day trip is much more pleasant
  • cargo space
  • real kitchen & bath - small but decent
  • the bar is open - in the rain all your friends who have interstates pile in your trailer!
  • rolling office - I can meet clients IN my trailer.
  • I don't have to make the bed every day before I do anything else (OK use a sleeping bag in the Interstate, smartypants)

Paula
Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Gerhard. The refrig. in the modern RV trailers will run on propane while on the road. The decision as to propane being safe while under way is yours and yours alone. There is plenty of reading here on the forum on that subject. Read away. My preference is the trailer. I can unhook and sightsee using my truck. Unless you choose to tow something along you will need to take your MH with you. The choices are yours to make. Bye the way, I do travel with the refrigerator on propane.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the advice. I like the vans for the reasons mentioned. Either way, it is just my wife and I. What bothered me with the vans is the high price and fast depreciation. I have watched used Interstates for sale and the sellers have a hard time to get rid of them. A trailer is easier to sell with less depreciation and the car you need anyway, in case you want out.
Still thinking…
Gerhard
Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
Thanks for the advice. I like the vans for the reasons mentioned. Either way, it is just my wife and I. What bothered me with the vans is the high price and fast depreciation. I have watched used Interstates for sale and the sellers have a hard time to get rid of them. A trailer is easier to sell with less depreciation and the car you need anyway, in case you want out.
Still thinking…
Gerhard
Trailer advantages: You can leave the trailer parked and go shopping or whatever with your tow vehicle.

Motorhome disadvantages: You must break camp in order to go shopping or whatever.

Running an RV reefer while traveling is many times safer than being on the highway, or simply walking.

Do things happen? Yes, but people get run over in cross walks as well, far more times than an LPG problem when traveling with an RV.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Your question reminds me of asking whether Methodist or Baptist church is better.. For majority of campers, they settle into either motorhome/Van world or Trailer world, because one just suits them better, and few then convert back... The A/C issue in the south is important, and can be addressed with electrical hookups at many RV parks and campgrounds, or that diesel truck would easily hold a generator in bed powerful enough to run the air conditioner and power the trailer..

If you like to explore, visit downtowns and not worry about access, van is more maneuverable than truck, and with trailer you'd probably have to unhook and leave it at campground.. Offset is that when you returned, you'd already be set up and hooked up, and not have to do it as frequently as you might with van. Price is huge for new or late model van, and for diesel truck <you certainly wouldn't need that much truck for a 19' Flying Cloud - a basic Ford Eco-boost V6 would pull it with no problems...> is also expensive and going to depreciate. If you are willing to consider used, maybe one of those vans someone else can't sell would be a good option...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
I am interested in the Flying Cloud 19 being pulled by a 2500 Cummings Diesel truck.
If one issue is driving a 2500 when you aren't towing, that can be remedied. You don't need a 2500 to tow a 19' Airstream.

P.S. Tow capacity is a hot topic but I think that's a safe statement by anyone's estimation.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Gerhard,

This might be the best of both worlds, like having your cake and eating it too:

1976 Airstream Argosy 24 for sale in Toronto, Ontario

More room, real galley, big bath, 18.3 mpg (Cdn) in a tough but smooth, quiet Mercedes Diesel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	galley 1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	215254 Click image for larger version

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	215253

To answer your specific concerns: 4000W Japan made gen set built in. No propane to worry about with the DIESEL POWERED trailer!!

An Interstate may or may not satisfy you as a daily driver but one thing is for sure: you'll make no quick, jack rabbit exits from the campgrounds when you forget the milk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	215255
Old 06-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
I have watched used Interstates for sale and the sellers have a hard time to get rid of them. A trailer is easier to sell with less depreciation and the car you need anyway, in case you want out.
Still thinking…
Gerhard
I have always suggested to any new camper to NEVER buy new, trailer or MH, because you will NEVER get what you want on the first shot.

With that in mind and your preference to an Interstate go help one of those Interstate owners that can't get rid of their unit and buy a used one.

But asked those selling why they are selling. If the reason is to go to a trailer, because they got tired of disconnecting to go buy a quart of milk, you can save even more time and money.

40 plus years and 250,000 plus miles with the frig on gas.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Agree w Howie, never ever buy new. We love our Airstream (4th) We have loved them all. Easy to just unhook and go. Don't have to drive a big van all the time. Can leave it for a month or longer and not have to worry about the engine. We stop at rest areas for lunch, rest or a break. So nice to have everything ready for us. The bed thing would be a problem for me. The Interstate is for a different traveler. Not us.
One more thing, if I were to get a Moho, I would look for a Classic from the '90's. Lotta room.
There is no one that can tell you what to do, you have to decide for yourself what will work w your lifestyle. That is why there are many choices. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Lots of conventional wisdom here... But thats probably not what you seek now is it?

As an owner of both a Safari and a Sprinter based B-Class van (RT Adventurous CS), I don't want to repeat what I've already read here or what is likely to be written here. But do consider that an AS trailer is pretty unique in the trailering world while the Interstate is a Thor built B-Van with Interstate badging.

There are many fine B-vans out there and many much cheaper that the Interstate, and many with innovative floorplans including slideouts. So before you decide, look around. Afterall the primary vehicle is the Sprinter and it is a fine platform for getting around with a much lower carbon footprint than towing your livingroom and bedroom around with you. Ours has a larger fridge than the Interstates which was a priority for us... As was the cost. And forget about the whole AS clique thing... there are many great clubs for other manufacturer's and besides, who care who made the dang thing! Its all about the experience you get in meeting folks of ALL walks of life and persuasions.

Camping AND running around (sightseeing, grocery runs, etc) with a B-van is nowhere near that difficult as some make out to be... One method is to simply hookup with Electrical and fill your fresh water tank at the site, and when you get the urge to roam, simply unhook your electric. Most come with a macerator so hooking up to sewer is really an end of adventure event not a continuous dump. I STILL get better mileage with my sprinter than I do with my TV un-hitched and un-loaded and the comfort is great. And if you get the urge to do a day trip its STILL nice to have a kitchen, potty and even a bed to nap on. And speaking of beds, if its just the two of you, leave it made up all the time for goodness sake.

That said, there are times we enjoy our trailer, but with our bi-coastal family, our strategy is to keep the AS on the left coast where our daughter's young family can make use of it as well as ourselves when we fly out for weeks at a time. Saves on hotels and the west coast is great for trailering. We recently decided we would like to have a weekend vehicle that we can get up and go in at a moments notice and crash wherever we want... Bluegrass festivals, beach excursions, visiting friends, etc. Its a lot less imposing that trying to park a big trailer... Having a B-van can actually be LESS maintenance as regular use is actually better for things like tires and other mechanical components.

So just sit down and figure out what trips you can see yourselves making and then pick the appropriate vehicle. And for goodness sake, look outside the AS box and consider other makes. One last thought... I bought NEW because I wanted things like HD TV in the trailer (a new thing in 2008), and all of the chassis upgrades on the Sprinter like Blind Spot monitoring, Lane Keeping, and more. Probably more of a consideration for B-Vans than trailers for sure, although the ducted AC sounds good to me too!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Very much a personal decision based on your likes/dislikes and preferred activities.

For my part, I really like the idea of a compact self contained unit such as a B class and I think I could quite happily trade in our Classic 30 on one. I'm not unfamiliar with that style of camping - once we graduated from a tent in the early seventies, we had a
VW Westfphalia for a couple of years and camped in it - along with two young children!

In some ways I think we would get a lot more use from a van camper than we do our trailer.

Instead of being in storage 15 miles away, it would be in our driveway ready to go any time with minimum fuss. I could also look after it better.

My better half just cannot see it though - so I guess it won't happen!

Every time I have dragged her out to look at it, all I get is complaints about how restricted the space is compared to what we have!

My answer to that is that we will change our traveling style.

We would use it as living accommodation on short trips - and likely would take more such trips than we do now - but then, when we go away for the winter, we would travel the B class, then rent a condo someplace warm for a month or two.

I dont think she really believes I would do that, as it is generally true that after a week or so in one spot, I like to be on the road looking for new places and new adventures!

If two people are of like mind I'm sure it would be great, for a single person who knows what they want it would be great. But if you are two and one doesn't like the idea, the other person would never hear the end of it!

We still have our Classic 30 - and I do still enjoy it, but I could be flexible, my wife not so much it seems!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Why would you tow a Bambi that small with a 2500??

Personal matter of opinion. When your Interstate breaks down 10,000 miles away from home on your cross country trip and needs to go into the shop for a week, you're in a hotel all week plus rental.

When your TV breaks down, no need for a hotel, maybe just a rental.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Foiled Again summed it up well. My first experience with a camper was an Interstate-like vehicle as a rental for a month. My first thought would be how you plan to camp and who will be camping. If solo, either works. Couple, still both but tight. Boondocking? Camper van can be sneaky!

The other choice will be like an apartment. You can put a generator in the truck bed, hook an LP hose to it and run it off the tanks in the front. The fridge can be run on LP down the highway. The biggest danger of LP is enclosed spaces that allow gas build-up.

shh, if you look outside the B van box like Tomzstream suggested, look at the Unity by Leisurevan. Nice.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Part of my concern is a breakdowns with a Sprinter. There are not many authorized dealers in the US. Some states have none. The 2500 Ram Diesel might be too much, but the fuel milage is good. Thanks for all the advise. Since we plan to retire by the end of the year, I might wait until our hurricane season is over.
Gerhard
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
. The 2500 Ram Diesel might be too much, but the fuel milage is good. Thanks for all the advise. Since we plan to retire by the end of the year, I might wait until our hurricane season is over.
Gerhard
The new EcoDiesel in the 1500 might be a better option if you aren't getting anything bigger than a 22.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Part of my concern is a breakdowns with a Sprinter. There are not many authorized dealers in the US. Some states have none. The 2500 Ram Diesel might be too much, but the fuel milage is good. Thanks for all the advise. Since we plan to retire by the end of the year, I might wait until our hurricane season is over.
Gerhard
I don't hear of issues with Sprinter breakdowns, so don't feel you should give this too much weight.

We also have all of our routine service and maintenance done at Peterbilt.

Have had ours 7+ years, and cousn't love her more.

Short trips, long trips, have done them all.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I looked into the 1500 Echo Diesel Truck. Chrysler uses a new Italian made Diesel and I would give it time to see if there are problems. The Cummings is probably the best Diesel made and the milage is better than I thought. These 1500 Echo Diesel trucks are also hard to find at the moment. It is interesting that the Mercedes 3.0 Liter diesel is getting about 18-20 miles per gallon and the Chrysler Echo Diesel is claiming to get 28 mpg. Also a 3.0 Liter engine.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
The big issue with the sprinter van is the plastic turbo resonator which is factory installed. Mine left me stranded twice until I put an after market aluminum resonator in. No worries since. Pushing 70,000 miles and that was the only van issue. Now the airstream components, that is a whole different story.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote