Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hanscom AFB , Massachusetts
Question Trailer Trade-in

Hello everyone,

My wife and I own a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB Twin and have decided to downsize to a smaller Airstream trailer; perhaps in the 19 or 20ft range.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on selling our trailer outright ourselves versus trading it in for a new or slightly used model? Especially any experience going from a larger (more expensive) trailer to a smaller (presumably less expensive) trailer?

We would appreciate any advice or knowledge you might have.

Thanks!

Dex and Kelly
easler7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The conventional wisdom is that you can get more money for your trailer by selling it yourself because there is no commission involved. You may have to put up with lots of lookers and bottom fishers. We've had our Foretravel for sale ourselves, and just recently posted in on rvtrader, which got us a buyer. We put our mpg on consignment with the original dealer who got us more than what I was going to ask for it ourselves AND he handled all the paperwork for us.

Part of what got us to buy the mpg was that we really liked Heartland's Bighorn fifth wheel, and we thought that trading in one Heartland product on another would help us get back more of what we paid for it. I would suspect that trading in your current Airstream on a new one (especially if you are dealing with the same dealer) would be to your advantage.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
taxes

Don't forget that you save a considerable amount on taxes when trading VS selling to private buyer. When trading you only pay taxes on the difference between what the unit was sold for and what the new unit cost as opposed to paying taxes on the full price of a new unit.
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
Don't forget that you save a considerable amount on taxes when trading VS selling to private buyer. When trading you only pay taxes on the difference between what the unit was sold for and what the new unit cost as opposed to paying taxes on the full price of a new unit.

Good point.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Here's what we did. Went to our dealer and looked at all the Airstreams we were interested in. Found the one model we wanted, agreed on a discounted price, then had the dealer order us one with everything exactly like we wanted.

We then got the dealer to appraise our old Airstream to get a base price. Their trade in value was lower than it was worth and they even told us that we could get more selling it ourselves. We already expected they would come in low.

I ask my dealer if they would do the paperwork and show it as a trade if I did find a buyer. They agreed to this which is called a "in and out" in dealer jargon.

So we set out to sell our old Airstream before the new one arrived knowing if we didn't then we still could trade it in for the price the dealer had agreed.

We listed it here on the Airforums Classifieds and sold it to a nice couple who were purchasing their first Airstream. So we got much more selling it ourselves and saved the taxes on the new one too by dealer doing the "in and out" which treats the sale just like a trade tax wise. Man were we happy!

The buyers really like the fact an Airstream dealer was doing all the paperwork . Made them more comfortable. The dealer did charge a couple hundred dollars for all this but it was well worth it.

Now if your in a hurry and just buy something off the dealers lot then this will not work for you. You need the time that ordering gives you to make a sale on your old one. I priced my old Airstream much higher than the dealer trade but a little lower than market knowing that anything I got over trade was money in my pocket. It was a win for me, a win for the buyer of mine because he got a great deal and a win for the dealer because he sold me a new Airstream. Win win win.

A few weeks after this our new one came in and all is well in our Airstream world again!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
The laws vary state to state. In MO you can download a sales contract from DMV (DOR). The state will deduct the price of the unit you sell from the price of the unit you buy so you only pay tax on the difference. This applies to all sales, not just those with a dealer. Check with your local DMV to see how the laws are in your state.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
The laws vary state to state. In MO you can download a sales contract from DMV (DOR). The state will deduct the price of the unit you sell from the price of the unit you buy so you only pay tax on the difference. This applies to all sales, not just those with a dealer. Check with your local DMV to see how the laws are in your state.
In Oregon there is no sales tax.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Great info! Thank you!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thank you so much for this detailed response. How encouraging! I hope this works out as well for us! Really appreciate the info!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Definitely a good point! We're very concerned about avoiding the negative tax implications.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
You all have it good! In Michigan, we have an untaxable trade-in allowance of $3000 (it might be $3500 now) on RVs. So, if the RV being purchased is $73,000, you are taxed on $70,000 when trading in another RV. LOL.

On the bright side, Michigan's new(ish) law adds $500 per year until the full trade-in value of a vehicle is untaxed. So, in ten years, we will have a trade-in untaxable allowance of $8,000.00 (last year's $3k + 10 years x $500 per year) when trading in another RV.

...looks like I need to go to Oregon or even MO when I go to upgrade my 16 Sport LOL

Dex/Kelly,
It could be the case that what you save on taxes when trading in your camper to downsize isn't enough to cover any potential negative dealer trade-in value compared to when selling privately.

Do both and see where your final number ends. Call some dealers and post your AS online! Pick the best deal for you.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill View Post
Dex/Kelly,
It could be the case that what you save on taxes when trading in your camper to downsize isn't enough to cover any potential negative dealer trade-in value compared to when selling privately.

Do both and see where your final number ends. Call some dealers and post your AS online! Pick the best deal for you.
If you read my previous post you will see that this can be avoided depending on his dealer and state tax rules.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by easler7267 View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I own a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB Twin and have decided to downsize to a smaller Airstream trailer; perhaps in the 19 or 20ft range.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on selling our trailer outright ourselves versus trading it in for a new or slightly used model? Especially any experience going from a larger (more expensive) trailer to a smaller (presumably less expensive) trailer?

Thanks!

Dex and Kelly
Check your Private Messages !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Dex and Kelly - We are just completing the paperwork on our purchase of a new 25' FB TC twin and traded in our gently used AS.
We thought about trying to sell outright, but weighed all the pros & cons and landed on trading in.
I think it depends on what the dealer can give you for your trade. It worked very well for us.
In MA the sales tax is paid on the final purchase price on your sales receipt ...so a trade-in helps to lower that fee.
Send me a private message if you would like more info.
Your trailer is a super popular model so you will be in a good position to sell either way.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #15

2019 Nest
Blackshear , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by easler7267 View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Dex and Kelly
If this unit is still agailable....I have a 2019 Nest that we downsized to and now we have GreatGrandchildren. We need to move a little up the food chain so they can enjoy the fun with "Nanna". Please wither reply by email or cell at 912-337-1422. Thankyou
BA Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote