Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Top 5 issues at delivery

I will be taking delivery of a new International 27FB next week. This is my first Airstream/RV and naturally, I am a bit nervous to perform the "walk through" with the dealer.

Recent purchasers of Airstreams, could you let me know what were your top 5 issues/defects you discovered.

Cheers
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you don't hear "leaks" in that list, I will be really surprised...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
LEAKS!!!! We have a new Int. 27 FB and all, yes all, of our outside compartments seals were improperly installed and we had a flood (not a leak, a flood). Our dealer fixed them asap, then had window and vent leaks. But all was taken care of and now we are travelling all over.
Highly recommend video taping the walk thru....we have watched our tape many times to answer many questions! Also, make sure the awning works properly. let them show you how to operate it, then do it yourself with no help from dealer. Also, get on top and look at seals!! We have had problems with the new 3m seals for the vents, check those carefully. Also, the microwave will not pop popcorn!! I went straight to the manufacturer on this one, and they said nope, will not pop popcorn...
Again, videotape, videotape, videotape! We have reviewed it sooo many times. And read the owners manuals before you go anywhere...we had alarms going off one night and went scrambling for the books at 3am! We can laugh at it now....
Enjoy your adventure, we love our International named "Belle".
See you on the road....
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
A microwave that won't pop popcorn, really?? What does it do then?
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
A microwave that won't pop popcorn, really?? What does it do then?
How sad is that! Never heard of such a thing. Even our little cheap microwave that we take with us sometimes will pop popcorn!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well, sample size of one, here's what I found, not in the walk through but on the first couple of trips:

1) Loose trim on kitchen cupboard
2) Rear A/C temperature sensor not connected
3) Half of oven burner won't light from pilot, has to be lit by hand
4) Stovetop washer/grommets defective, won't hold up the weight of a pan
5) Locks required graphite lubrication to allow keys to work smoothly
6) Sensor for sewage tank shows empty all the time (sensor problems are, apparently, common)
7) Missing screw in one of the panels in the bathroom
8) Bad ballast in one of the fluorescent lights
9) Freshwater system leaks back into the tank, probably leaky valve in the pump
10) Defective latch on one of the cabinets
11) Coat closet door mounted too high, hits A/C ductwork
12) Loose socket in triarm light over dinette. Bulb won't stay seated
13) Several loose counter items, faucet, soap dispensers
14) Holes in A/C filters because someone put a screw in the wrong place
15) Excessive noise from rear A/C

I didn't take the walkthrough seriously because I figured I was going to have to bring the rig back to the dealer in the first couple of months anyway and it wasn't worth it to me to rake them over the coals on delivery day. Ymmv.

As for the microwave, I thought they were just for melting chocolate and butter.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Upon walk through, you may find things like uneven trim and other cosmetic issues or awning adjustment that they will take care of before you leave the dealership. Take your time, enjoy and spend a night or two nearby and return for any issues that are found later. There is much too much to inspect at once. The waranty is well stood by and you will be served well by a good dealer or the factory. Troubles with battery recharging, shower leaks, doors and alignment may be the worst you encounter. Sometimes the window locks need adjustment. Open and close the fantastic vents. They often stick and need either trimming or 303 to condition the weather stripping and open more easily. Inspect the outside around the spotlight and tail lights and door handle and battery compartments for corrosion. They can replace or fix the clear coat. You will have to open all the windows and burn off the new manufacturing oils etc., with the oven and heater. Congratulations. We want pictures!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
At the delivery time: Received new light fixture as one reading light was defective.

I had a good service person do the walk thru with us and it went smoothly. Apparently he had some training from Airstream. He answered all my questions during the walk thru. After I came home I had some time to read the manual and handouts from the various manufactures and I had a few more questions. He answered them over the phone.
Airstream also accepts emails to the service dept and will answer any additional questions on line if you want to go that route.
It was a good experience for me!

I bought one off the lot the first time and had many issues with broken things that were just flatly abused from people going thru the trailer at the dealership.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post

Also, the microwave will not pop popcorn!! I went straight to the manufacturer on this one, and they said nope, will not pop popcorn...

Even more important, what kind (brand and model) of microwave is this? Help warn others.

End of my hijacking.

Since I bought both mine very well used, my list hardly applies.

Enjoy your new International, gamana!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Probably the #1 issue has been leaks from the shower door area. My 2001 Safari and 2004 Classic both suffered from this malady. It seems to be something that may take multiple visits to finally control. It has something to do with the door framing that seems to be prone to improper sealing during installation.

My only other issue is the failure of a check valve in the fresh water pump requiring it's replacement. I have replaced the sensor control panel due to a burnt out LED.

My local dealer has hookup spots at the dealership and encourages owners to spend the first night there. This way it gives you time to go through the walk through and the next day, get any issues taken care of prior to you driving off.

My advice to watch carefully the awning set up and storage procedure. Also, if you are new to trailering, pay special attention to the hitching procedure.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
Thank you all for your inputs. It seems like the most important issue I need to look for is leakage which is not so easy to determine within a couple of hours on the parking lot of a dealer.

Has anyone ever asked a dealer permission to water the roof of an AS with a hose pipe for 15-30 mins???
Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Gamana, We did ask our dealer for a water check after the leaks were fixed and they complied....no problem.
As for the make of our microwave...Tappan. We took it to a Tappan dealer and they said that our model would not pop even a small bag of popcorn....we thought it was defective that's why we took it to them. They wouldn't do anything...we need to replace it soon....I need my popcorn!
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
Kidsgone, thanks for the info on the water check.

Since it is my own post I can probably hijack it for a couple posts .

Why do you need a microwave to make pop corn??? I have always used a pot with a lid!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Michigan
I took delivery of a new 27FB International last month. Still have not "tripped" in it yet. I did drive it home...3 hour drive in a pouring rain. Didn't find any leaks. I washed it down pretty good the next day from the top down and didn't discover any leaks whatsoever. Not sure about the shower yet.

My dealer, Woodland RV in Grand Rapids, Michigan, did a fantastic job of prepping our unit. Had a very thorough walk-thru. I really think they did a lot of adjustments prior to our picking up the unit that was ordered. They had the unit for about 3 weeks before I picked it up. No problems yet...but...we have not yet tripped in her.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Enjoy your AS. They are great.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
Thank you all for your inputs. It seems like the most important issue I need to look for is leakage which is not so easy to determine within a couple of hours on the parking lot of a dealer.

Has anyone ever asked a dealer permission to water the roof of an AS with a hose pipe for 15-30 mins???
I know my dealer washed and Walbernized my trailer prior me arriving. So far with two new trailers, I've not had external leaks that were evident upon delivery. I have had two skylight leaks. One under warranty and one outside of warranty. The one under warranty showed up in year two of ownership and required the skylight to be removed and reinstalled and sealed. The one on my nickel was a crack that most likely caused by overstressing a screw during the building of the trailer. The crack didn't appear until the trailer was 3 years old. On that one we replaced the skylight.

The shower door leaks we found the following morning since we overnighted with a full hookup at the dealership and used the shower that morning. Unfortunately any other leak may not show up with the roof getting wet from a hose. Some water leaks may only show with wind driven rain or when the trailer is in motion, others may take a long amount of rain. My guess is that a 15-30 minute watering of the roof may technically show nothing. You really can't simulate hitting a trailer with rain by using a hose. In addition, leaks can travel some distance and the source may be far away from where the leak shows up.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Make a list so you don't forget anything. The dealers schedule 2 hours, but I asked for more time and got it. Ask ahead of time so they can accommodate you.

My dealer did a sloppy job of setting up the hitch. After I figured that out and did it myself months later, the trailer towed better. Some dealers don't want to take the time to do it properly because it cuts into profit. Make sure your tow vehicle is level and the trailer is level before you leave the lot. Make sure they put the right size weight distributing hitch on as they may just install whatever size they have. Some dealers habitually overhitch.

We had a window blow out a 100 miles from the dealer. The latches were not adjusted properly. The dealer is supposed to do a thorough check of these things and I believe the factory pays them for this.

Sometimes these things set on a lot for a long time and the batteries get run down too far and don't last long after you take it home. Have them check the cells for how good they are.

Testing everything and hearing everything when you pick up the trailer is overwhelming. Videotaping is a good idea. Read as much as you can beforehand so you know what to look for. Stay at a campground nearby for a few days and check everything over and over so you can take it back for repairs. We had several immediately obvious things the next morning and many more in the months ahead.

Some dealers do a good job, but some do not. I hope the best for you.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
Gamana, We did ask our dealer for a water check after the leaks were fixed and they complied....no problem.
As for the make of our microwave...Tappan. We took it to a Tappan dealer and they said that our model would not pop even a small bag of popcorn....we thought it was defective that's why we took it to them. They wouldn't do anything...we need to replace it soon....I need my popcorn!
Try an upside down plate in the microwave and put the bag on top of that. That's what our low wattage microwave suggested. It worked. Can't think if why yours doesn't pop corn.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Try an upside down plate in the microwave and put the bag on top of that. That's what our low wattage microwave suggested. It worked. Can't think if why yours doesn't pop corn.
If it will boil water, it will pop corn.

if it won't boil water, well, time to get a different microwave.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
Spend the first night on the dealer's lot and pray for rain. In addition to checking for leaks, use everything in the trailer. Don't leave the the dealer until everything is to your satisfaction.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
well if you are picking it up at dealer near tampa (who shall remain nameless) I would suggest making them open all windows, show you how to work everything, look for loose trim everywhere, make them clean it, including the interior aluminum and if they are doing your hitch work, go somewhere and have it re-done
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery inspection