Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
Tipping Point - What made you decide?

What made you decide your current AS was the unit for you? What was the tipping point - price, storage, view, layout, decor, something else?

I'm pondering the variables between 27ft or 28ft as well as Flying Cloud or International. The longer I look at 'em, the more little differences I see.

Lots of little differences, pro's here, con's there. So while I decide what variables are most important to us. What was most important to you? What was your tipping point?
Dirtbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The Airstream dealer closest to us offered a rental deal, and we had a chance to tow a 19'er on two trips for about 10 days each. That confirmed that it would work for us, but when we decided to buy the dealer was disappointed that we didn't buy a new one. We bought an 8 year old unit, hardly used, for less than half the price. One thing we learned was that the metal interior finish of some versions is very cold to roll against if it is next to the bed! We avoided that.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Funny you should ask.

Our first AS was a 2015 22 Sport that was "used" and 9 months old when we bought it. We liked a lot of things about that trailer. We had it for about 2 years and it was heavily damaged during a storm at our storage unit when another trailer essentially rolled into it.

We decided at that time to trade into a larger unit vs repair the 22. At that time we looked at the 23, 25, 26, and 27. We bought a 25 rear bed twin because we liked the outside storage across the back, the twin layout for lounging, and the longer mattress with the twin vs the queen. We liked that trailer very very much.

Unfortunately (yes, again) we were involved in an accident when airborne debris from a passing pickup truck flew OVER our truck, and smashed into, onto, over, and down the airstream. We were pretty shaken up, but fine.

We again were faced with a repair, replace, or retreat scenario. We looked at the 25 FB 25, RB again, 27, and 28. At the time we looked, the 25s on the dealer lot were the 2 AC models and these seemed a lot darker inside. We also were interested in the additional interior storage with the 27.

The 28 at first seemed like a contender, but I strongly disliked the dinette with one side with no view, the couch facing the inside vs the dinette in the 25/27 looking outside at the view. You also could not have both the gas oven and the microwave. There was not a great amount of counter space in the kitchen. And I just hated the bathroom. I felt that it would be difficult to clean the toilet and floor around it due to its position vs the 25 or 27. It just reminded me of an old person mobile home, and not an Airstream.

We got a 27 twin FC with 2 ACs. We like it a lot and can point out several of the minor points in its favor. There is about a foot of space at the foot of the bed. This is essential for keeping things tidy. You would not believe how much stuff fits here. Shoes, hiking boots, backpacks, laptop bags, jugs of water. This little noticed space is really nice.
The double wide closet is great because now when our 2 adult kids come along their stuff all fits there. Bedding and duffle bags. So that when the do the bed-to-table shuffle, they can keep their things inside vs having to stash in a vehicle.
The slide out pantry is so spacious in the 27 vs the 25 that you can hardly even compare them. The upper cabinets over the sink and stove are juuuussst a bit wider since the counter is longer, and the kitchen drawers are a more convenient size than the 25.

So while the 25 rear bed twin has great exterior storage, the 27 FB twin has great interior storage. Which I think is more important.

As to FC vs International, I like the solid upper doors on the FC since they hide what is inside the cabinet.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
Thanks for the insight - sorry about the two incidents.

One of the reasons the 28ft is in contention is the dinette with the windows looking out under the awning.

The 27ft only has one window in the galley, and it's blocked with the doors open (course, if the doors open you don't lose anything), and all that storage, counter, built in microwave...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
We were in your exact position a couple of years ago. We were deciding between the 27 or 28, then International or Flying Cloud. We chose the 28 because we liked the front L-shaped couch vs. feeling like we were always sitting at the kitchen table in the 27. We had no need for an oven, so we went with the microwave. We walked back and forth on the dealer lot between a 28 Flying Cloud and 28 international several times before we noticed the Flying Cloud had cabinets above the dinette where the International has additional windows. We preferred the additional cabinets. The 28 does not have much kitchen counter space, but the dinette table serves as food prep space and most of our food is in those handy additional cabinets over the dinette.
Obviously all our great units, but the 28RBQ FC was the one for us. Truth be told, the dog liked the couch, so decision made.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just a comment on the 28 models. The window next to the door is not fixed in place. If the window is open and a strong breeze captures the door when opening that window will break. Suggest putting Do Not Open stickers inside of that window.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
I have to admit our decision was more aesthetic than anything else. We were tired of going to motels with our dog, and knew it was time for an RV. Friends who have a gigundo bus RV took us to the local RV place to look at SOB's in our price range. We have been tent campers prior to getting a dog, so we weren't necessarily looking for anything complicated or fancy, and wouldn't be caring about backsplashes, swivel chairs or skylights over the shower. After spending an afternoon looking at SOB's with swirly things painted up and down the sides, we decided we would go look at a used airstream at another RV place. We immediately liked what we saw, put a deposit on it, and went home to research Airstreams. After many hours of research and youtube watching, we decided to go back, give it a thorough going over, have them make some changes, and bought it. We got a 22 Bambi sport. Then we had to have them hold it until we bought at TV. We got a Toyota Tundra that does that job, went back and paid and picked up the Airstream. Tipping point: Swirly things.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
I have to admit our decision was mostly aesthetic. We were tired of going to motels with out dog and knew it was time for an RV. Our friends who have a gigundo RV bus took us to an RV place and we looked at SOB's in our price range. We were tent campers prior to getting a dog, so we are used to simplicity and were not looking for anything complicated or fancy, like back splashes, swivel chairs our of faux leather, or skylights in our shower. After spending hours going through lots of models, all having swirly things painted up and down the sides, we passed. We decided to go to another RV place that advertised a used Airstream. We knew immediately that was the model for us, simple, small, comfortable, and a statement. We put a deposit on it and went home and researched Airstreams. After much research, and YouTube watching we went back, had the RV place do some changes, and bought it. They held on to it until we bought a TV to pull it. We got a Toyota Tundra which is more truck than necessary but makes me feel safe. So, to answer your question directly: Tipping point? Swirly things.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Five years into retirement we decided to get back into camping. There was no question that we were well past the tent, VW Pop-Up and Class A; it had to be an Airstream.

Our first Airstream was a 25 ft 2014 International Serenity bought lightly used in 2014. We camped with it for two years but found the east/west bed was literally a pain to make and get out of for the person on the inside. We also wanted better seating so in 2016 we traded it in for a rear twin bed 30 ft 2015 Classic that was like new. We love it and find the extra room, twin beds and seating with the front couch with power recliners perfect! If we had to do it again we would have done more research to select the Classic in the first instance. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
MK1EO1

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Alamogordo , New Mexico
We upgraded from 25RBQ to 28RBQ liked where the dinette is, the sofa is ideal for TV watching. Also wanted the north/south bed, lots of storage and went with micro oven. Good luck
hddeering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
The Airstream dealer closest to us offered a rental deal, and we had a chance to tow a 19'er on two trips for about 10 days each. That confirmed that it would work for us, but when we decided to buy the dealer was disappointed that we didn't buy a new one. We bought an 8 year old unit, hardly used, for less than half the price. One thing we learned was that the metal interior finish of some versions is very cold to roll against if it is next to the bed! We avoided that.

We bought some silver bubble wrap to lay along the wall, especially in late September in PEI last year. Just roll it up and stow it when not needed.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
While we were shopping, we noticed that one of the big differences for us was the 27' had a larger closet (big plus for us), but the bathroom was slightly smaller, while the 28' had the larger bathroom but a smaller closet. When sitting in the dinette in the 27' you are surrounded by windows. We finally ended up with the 30' (easier to sleep 4 grandkids) for larger closet, larger bathroom, nice dinette with 2 large unobstructed windows, etc.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
Hi
We sat in every AS several dealers had on the lot. We tried to put ourselves in sceneries of how we were going to full time when we retire. Where to sit, to eat, bathroom size, kitchen storage and so on. Small is good for weekend or short vacation but we needed room for bad weather without killing each other. We looked for 2 years or more, hot then cold. Came to the conclusion top of the line 33Classic twin and love it.
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
For us we just lucked out...2004 International 25 CCD looked like it just came off the assembly line. Price was $45,000 canadian (all inclusive in our backyard). Size mattered for us, 25 feet was the largest for towing with our TV (there is more to it than simply "how much it weight it can tow"), fit our needs for convenience and livability, can easily go into any campsite and campground, and the price was right in our budget (35,000US). God similed on us and a dream was fullfilled.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Layout. Our 2005 Safari 25 has a gaucho and folding table rather than a dinette, and a walk around queen. Couldn't imagine being comfortable sitting at the dinette for hours in indoor weather.

Twenty-five was as big as I wanted to go, just a little longer than the truck so it will fit in almost any state/ federal CG site (even if I need to disconnect and park elsewhere.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddeering View Post
We upgraded from 25RBQ to 28RBQ liked where the dinette is, the sofa is ideal for TV watching. Also wanted the north/south bed, lots of storage and went with micro oven. Good luck

This is definitely something I wondered about. With the TV mounted past the dinette it's not too far away while sitting on the couch?
Old 04-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I realize that my reason is irrelevant to the spirit of this thread, but it passes the title test:

I bought my present tiny '67 Caravel because its 17'3" length will fit in my driveway (barely)!!

Not only didn't want the expense of storing it offsite, I just hate the idea of having to drag everything out to some storage unit every time I want to take it out, and having arrived, realized I have forgotten something essential. And then drag it all back home again on return.

And I don't mean ordinary stuff that would of course live in the trailer: dishes, pots and pans, etc. I mean sheets to wash, clothing to wash, food, a cooler to hold the food going and coming, you get the point.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
MK1EO1

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbeard View Post
This is definitely something I wondered about. With the TV mounted past the dinette it's not too far away while sitting on the couch?
I do not watch much TV but having to keep my head turned any amount of time did not work. Jeff
hddeering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
First decision was to buy an Airstream versus SOB, but that is a separate thread in itself.

Then to buy the International over the Flying Cloud, we liked the finish and design of the woodwork of the International and to our taste, the International looked and felt more like an Airstream than the Flying Cloud.

Then it was the walk-around twin bed, so that it was to be a 27 or 28ft trailer (and not a 25'), finally we prefered the 28' floor plan, with two living spaces, the dinette and the L couch area. Really happy with our choice.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I sold my 40' MH because it was too big for this time in my life and too expensive to maintain.
I didn't like the dinette in it, and any in general. So the 26U seemed like the perfect solution. I looked at everything, but the shower, the seating, and the bedroom of the 26' still was the winner. Big enough/small enough.
If I might do it over, I'd take a harder look at the twin beds. Can't say I'd switch though, the queen is comfy.

My perfect Airstream? Not made, but a 26U Classic.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote