Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #21
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbeard View Post
What made you decide your current AS was the unit for you? What was the tipping point - price, storage, view, layout, decor, something else?

I'm pondering the variables between 27ft or 28ft as well as Flying Cloud or International. The longer I look at 'em, the more little differences I see.

Lots of little differences, pro's here, con's there. So while I decide what variables are most important to us. What was most important to you? What was your tipping point?
We wanted the smallest 2 axel Airstream available, 2 axels for safer towing and shortest size to fit in most National Parks as the older parks often have size limitations. We did not want a carpet or frilly interior and the CCD International had an airy sleek look we liked. Finally we chose the rear bed model as in our opinion it had the least wasted hall space, was airy and light and we liked the dinet with large panoramic windows. I guess we got lucky - 10 years later we still love our rig and while we have made minor modifications like getting nice slipcovers made for all the cushions, and making a "baby bumper" out of a silver windshield sun reflector to avoid rolling into the cold metal wall we are pretty happy. We love the gas oven, and we rarely have shore power so have added solar with a long cable to be able to reposition the panel thought the day as needed. The solar panel plugs straight into the battery box thorough a 12v "cigarette lighter connection". Not a modification but an Ikea single duvet works fine for the smalish queen bed and making the bed is easy with the duvet. Think about your TV, and how you plan to spend your time.. There is no right answer but you will find a "right for you" trailer out there. Happy trails.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Just My Opinion

Great style is just an opinion.
My wife was never much into camping, then our son built his own teardrop style camper (which was so cool) and she got hooked. It was too small for us, so the shopping started. After looking at a few brands, we came across the AS and that was it for us. Then after spending the day at a dealer, we fell in love with the Serenity décor and only with the oyster cushions and only twin beds. Next step is the length. It came down to the 27' or 28'. At first it was the lounge of the 28 we loved but then decided with the table down, the 27' is just as cozy. The 27 actually being slightly longer and has a much bigger closet sold us. Having the big windows around the dinette is also a huge plus for us. Seems like the better view when parked is in the rear too. The tongue weight of the 27 is also slightly less than the 28 (bonus for my GMC 1500.) Another design plus for the 27 is the direction the entry door opens into the wind when you are driving. So no accidental opening of the door going down the road, like most others are designed.
All that being said, it's an individual preference but we love ours.

Cheers!

Our sons camper he made himself and got us into camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	366100  
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Your son’s teardrop looks magnificent!
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Bigger than I really needed, but thought I might use as a retirement home/snowbird unit someday, so the extra space would be viable.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #25
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
We had sold our cool Bluebird Wanderlodge to buy a trailer and knew the only trailer that could replace it was an AS. We didn’t want to buy new, and the restored vintage ones seemed too nice to take to take anywhere, so we settled on one that was nearby, in reasonable shape, not expensive, and neither modern nor vintage. We really enjoy it, and it requires about 1% of the work necessary to maintain an older Class A.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Got out of boating and into camping, wanted an Airstream because of its iconic nature. First decision was size. From boating we knew we did not need a lot of room so we did not want the biggest or the smallest. But we wanted the smallest that we thought would work for us. That was the 25 and we wanted a FB because we wanted the view out the rear.
The rest was all money. I was ready to buy a new FC, but a very lightly used Serenity showed up on our radar screen and my wife loved the decor...so we bought it. My only regret is buying an Airstream....period. The quality, workmanship and maintainability is far below what I expected.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In late 2012 we were contemplating building a home in the mountains and I realized that an onsite abode during the construction would be beneficial for me to oversee the construction. I had seen an Airstream or two in the past and thought it would work. An added impetus was my first wilderness camping event that October. Sleeping on the ground and digging a hole for necessity was in near freezing conditions in the mountains was not my idea of fun.

We were in the UK visiting my wife's family and and I started online research. Being entirely clueless, I learned about tow ratings, tongue weights and tow vehicle sizing. Given I had a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel with a hitch, I found the relevant numbers related to that vehicle.

It initially looked like a 19' was as large as we could go. I then discovered this forum and the discussions about alternative thinking on a viable tow vehicle. Lots of calls to Andy Thompson at CanAm in London, Ontario Canada and talking with several of his customers towing with my identical vehicle, I realized that we could expand our choices if I took my Mercedes to CanAm and had the stock Mercedes hitch reinforced.

The online literature for 2013 Airstream models had the floor plans and trim levels. I thought the 25FB in the International Serenity trim would work and after all the diagram showed one could walk around the queen bed. I had no inkling about the proximity of the front roof lockers to the bed in terms of sitting up in bed. So sight unseen, we order a 2013 25FB International Serenity made in July 2012 when the build rate was 29 units per week (more on that later). The dealer was in Los Angles. They added the rear and street side awnings, a single 160 watt solar panel and Centramatic wheel balancers.

Upon my return to the states, I drove to CanAm from Phoenix in three days, spent a day getting the hitch reinforced and the Hensley Arrow stinger modified (by shortening it about five inches and having a slight downward bend put in it to preload the weight distribution system with less screw jack travel). I was back in Phoenix in three days.

Loaded the Tekonsha Prodigy RF braking system and the Hensley Arrow hitch system into the Mercedes and drone to Los Angles. I found that the cross frame queen did not allow even my foot on the floor beside the bed as the space was about four inches wide. The introduction of my head to the roof lockers above the bed would occur on our first camping trip. The trailer had zero defects from the factory.

A new empty Airstream (full propane and water tanks and 1,150 pound toque weight (up form the literature 833 pounds) towed just fine going back.to Arizona (another interesting story of adventure). I swapped out the stock 15” GYM tires for 15” Michelin tires at the storage unit.

We loaded our stuff and the scales showed all of my tools needed to be at the very back of the trailer under the dinette to keep the tongue weight to 1,175 pounds. Fully loaded, the trailer had put on real weight and scaled about 6,975 pounds. The Mercedes was making unhappy noises pulling the loaded trailer.

Another adventure to go to Indiana where the last new 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins in the states in January of 2013 was purchased. Now we had the proper tow vehicle.

We camped where there was no television, so sitting in the dinette to eat did not present the issue of twisted necks to see the television. At the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, we discovered the 160 watt solar panel could not recharge the stock batteries after the furnace ran during the night. Fortunately, we had a pair of Honda 2000 watt generators.

We were already displeased with the 25FB when we saw a repossessed 34’ Classic, one of the last 25 built. The 11,500 pound GVW would push the numbers too much for my truck to legally tow it so we ordered a 27FB Classic to be built in 2014. After more thinking about our likes and dislikes of the 25FB floor plan including the dinette, we decided that the best option was to change the order to a 2014 31’ Classic and skip the huge financial penalty of trading a 27FB in if we were unhappy. We paid only the roughly $3,000 uncharge to order the 31’ Classic.

The forum was starting to report more quality control issues every month as the factory was speeding up the production line.

I was at the factory early on 2 January to document the building of the Classic and production was now at 41 units per week. The trades were climbing allover each other inside the trailer and a stop watch chap was monitoring. Many issues were caused by the rushing and only a few that I pointed out to the quality control supervisor were addressed.

I knew when the trailer would be at the Phoenix dealership from the towing company. I was at the dealership within 10 minutes of it’s arrival surprising the dealership staff. My initial inspection found lots of damage to the wood work and realized that repairs were way beyond the capability of the dealership from my terrible experiences with them working on the 25FB.

I took the trailer off the lot to our storage unit and immediately installed 16” SenDel wheels, Michelin tires and Centramatic wheel balancers, along with the ProPride hitch. We took the trailer to A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX (near DFW air port) and started major conversions and repairs.

We are extremely pleased with our trailer and love its Hickory interior vs the 2015 and later Classics.

We decided to add one of the last 2015 23D International Serenity models for weekends and travel to older parks where the 31’ Classic would not fit well. It was built in September of 2014 when the construction rate was now 51 units per week. Quality control issues were everywhere including leaving the Airstream name off of the back of the trailer. The PDI on this trailer had to have been done over a sandwich in the lunch room as the extremely obvious issues from rushed construction were not addressed. We reused the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake system, the Hensley Arrow hitch and had the two awning material matching ZipDee chairs from the 25FB. I swapped out the stock 14” factory wheels and GYM tires for 15” SenDel wheels (they match our Classic’s SenDel wheels), 15” Michelin tires and Centramatic wheel balancers. This elevated the trailer to the same elevation as the 25FB so the initial hitch settings from the 25FB worked.

I towed the 23D with my 2007 Mercedes from New Jersey to CanAm where Andy had the hitch fine tuned and they fixed a cabinet issue. I proceeded onwards to A&P Vintage Trailer works where we discovered greaseless scored wheel bearings and other mechanical issues that were fixed along with many modifications. The unit towed like it was on rails. The Mercedes is happy towing the 23D that scales 6,069 pounds loaded at 55 mph. Works for us.

My wife loves both trailers equally, so everyone is happy.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
For me, it came down to two things. I was at a dealer lot, 95% ready to purchase, and was spending time inside my favorite Globetrotter deciding how I could avoid hitting my knees in the bathroom. The sales guy made an offhand remark, "You know, all Airstreams are basically Flying Clouds with some interior finish differences."
Hmmm.
So I left the Globetrotter, walked in a FC27, with same bathroom issue, and then a 26RBQ...ahh, the angels sing, nice bathroom.

Best advice I can give - you have to spend time in each model simulating daily activities - one will speak to you.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #29

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
About 20 minutes to turn the throne clockwise a few degrees in the 27FB fixes the knee clearance problem.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
...At first it was the lounge of the 28 we loved but then decided with the table down, the 27' is just as cozy. The 27 actually being slightly longer and has a much bigger closet sold us. Having the big windows around the dinette is also a huge plus for us....

I was thinking a similar thing as an option. Use the table for dinner, but keep it down and use as a lounge the rest of the time. Is that how you use it?
Dirtbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
Switz,

I wonder if the new factory will help with some of those production number/rush issues.
Dirtbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Great style is just an opinion.
My wife was never much into camping, then our son built his own teardrop style camper (which was so cool) and she got hooked. It was too small for us, so the shopping started. After looking at a few brands, we came across the AS and that was it for us. Then after spending the day at a dealer, we fell in love with the Serenity décor and only with the oyster cushions and only twin beds. Next step is the length. It came down to the 27' or 28'. At first it was the lounge of the 28 we loved but then decided with the table down, the 27' is just as cozy. The 27 actually being slightly longer and has a much bigger closet sold us. Having the big windows around the dinette is also a huge plus for us. Seems like the better view when parked is in the rear too. The tongue weight of the 27 is also slightly less than the 28 (bonus for my GMC 1500.) Another design plus for the 27 is the direction the entry door opens into the wind when you are driving. So no accidental opening of the door going down the road, like most others are designed.
All that being said, it's an individual preference but we love ours.

Cheers!

Oh! Pretty,.pretty teardrop!
Old 04-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I sold my 40' MH because it was too big for this time in my life and too expensive to maintain.
I didn't like the dinette in it, and any in general. So the 26U seemed like the perfect solution. I looked at everything, but the shower, the seating, and the bedroom of the 26' still was the winner. Big enough/small enough.
If I might do it over, I'd take a harder look at the twin beds. Can't say I'd switch though, the queen is comfy.

My perfect Airstream? Not made, but a 26U Classic.

I’m with you - I wish Airstream would make the 26RB in other trim lines!
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We had a 75 TradeWind, loved the size, but wanted larger tanks and a dinette. We have several friends that own 25' six sleepers which we liked very much. Found one about 800 miles away and pulled the trigger. We have been extremely happy with the layout of this trailer and have taken it to Alaska and Newfoundland in the 2 years we have owned it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbeard View Post
I was thinking a similar thing as an option. Use the table for dinner, but keep it down and use as a lounge the rest of the time. Is that how you use it?
Dirtbeard,
Yes it down most of the time. The only time we eat inside is if it is raining or just way too cold. If that is the case we have more than enough time to make the change back to a dinette. (like 45 seconds)
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Sleeping on the ground @50 sucked !

So we decided to start looking. Friends of our have an Argosy (19?) and we loved the layout, but thought for full timing, we'd need a bit larger...with possible sleeping for 2 more visitors, so decided 24. We also knew that a new one was out of the question when looking at them in Penticton ( very nice and friendly staff there, no pressure etc...loved the finish etc.. not the price and weight !
Anyhw, after driving the backroads for nearly 4 months, found what we were looking for,...Carlotta. a 24 tradewinf, 1960. As luck would have it, the owner had had previous offers, but was taken by my boyish good looks, and the fact that I never pressured her, in fact was on my way out after leaving my number in case she changed her mind, when she asked what I would be willing to ay her. Price was accepted and 4 years and a full monty later, three trips to the west coast from Detroit area, and we are just doing the plumbing now !!!
Good luck with your search, and see you on the road !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170818_211123.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	366186  
KZGoodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:

That is gorgeous! Looks like it should be in someone's living room as a piece of finely finished furniture! It would be a shame to leave it out in the weather....

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #38
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
My tipping point....

I met her 50yrs ago.🥰

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I decided I wanted a rig that would actually WORK FOR ME & help PAY FOR ITSELF! I decided to size up to the Eddie Bauer 27ft. I often sell things from the road and can easily open the back door, flip up the seats and use it as a mobile boutique etc while still having personal items safely stowed away in the bedroom....but theres always some compromise...hmm a 30ft Eddie Bauer...
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Got out of boating and into camping, wanted an Airstream because of its iconic nature. First decision was size. From boating we knew we did not need a lot of room so we did not want the biggest or the smallest. But we wanted the smallest that we thought would work for us. That was the 25 and we wanted a FB because we wanted the view out the rear.
The rest was all money. I was ready to buy a new FC, but a very lightly used Serenity showed up on our radar screen and my wife loved the decor...so we bought it. My only regret is buying an Airstream....period. The quality, workmanship and maintainability is far below what I expected.
Larry
Hey Larry,

What specifically about your model has been disappointing? Looking to buy an airstream, and your post gave me some pause. Thanks!
orangekayak is offline   Reply With Quote