Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2024, 11:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Salida , Colorado
Thoughts on purchasing a trailer that's been in an accident?

So I found what I thought was a good deal, a 2019 Classic 30RB for $85K. I put a deposit down.

During the purchase process, my insurer says his system shows a $42K claim from 2022. It doesn't show any data on what the damage was, who repaired it etc.

The dealer (Airstream of Tampa) is saying it's in "great condition" from their inspections.

Thoughts? Good deal? Run?

Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 11:38 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My vote is to run
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Too many questions that people can't answer. Does the trailer have a salvage title? Insurance is sometimes difficult to get with a salvage title.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 12:26 PM   #4
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
I’d pass.
Old 06-05-2024, 12:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Think you can trust the dealer after this?

The lack of transparency alone would be a dealbreaker for me. If the dealership isn’t apologetic, you should cast a wider net.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 01:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
A few random thoughts. It doesn't take a whole lot to cause that much damage. Hazarding a guess it's likely panel replacement and there's potential for leakage. After reading about repairs from the Jackson Center hailstorm, my impression is that when done right panel replacement is probably going to hold up. So, the question is who did the repairs and what did they do? Also, how good of a deal is this over a comparable model? If it's a boatload of money then it might be more palatable. But if it's only $10k, I'd keep looking. Also, I don't know if they started putting composite floors in Classics in 2019 so that might mitigate a bit of the risk if there was any leakage.

That said, I'd throw it back to the dealer. It's suspicious that they didn't reveal that it was a repaired unit and maybe that's reason enough to walk. A clear title is a necessity, also they might know who they bought it from (or could investigate) and can document what the damage and repairs are. Also, ask if they are willing to warranty it for a year or more if there are any problems? Last, do you really love it, or love the deal?
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
The lack of transparency alone would be a dealbreaker for me. If the dealership isn’t apologetic, you should cast a wider net.
Speaking with the insurance guy, he said the dealer may not have even known about the damage and repair of the trailer. I don't think all dealers check insurance CLUE reports on trade ins.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
A few random thoughts. It doesn't take a whole lot to cause that much damage. Hazarding a guess it's likely panel replacement and there's potential for leakage. After reading about repairs from the Jackson Center hailstorm, my impression is that when done right panel replacement is probably going to hold up. So, the question is who did the repairs and what did they do? Also, how good of a deal is this over a comparable model? If it's a boatload of money then it might be more palatable. But if it's only $10k, I'd keep looking. Also, I don't know if they started putting composite floors in Classics in 2019 so that might mitigate a bit of the risk if there was any leakage.

That said, I'd throw it back to the dealer. It's suspicious that they didn't reveal that it was a repaired unit and maybe that's reason enough to walk. A clear title is a necessity, also they might know who they bought it from (or could investigate) and can document what the damage and repairs are. Also, ask if they are willing to warranty it for a year or more if there are any problems? Last, do you really love it, or love the deal?
The trailer is about $10K below market price. So that begs the question, did they know about the history.

I'm also thinking possible roof panel replacement/hail damage. Not sure if a regular RV service center would touch that, so I have a support request into Airstream factory service center and maybe they can provide info.

It just sucks because it's the exact configuration I've been looking for months and it's near me.

You'd think the worlds largest Airstream dealer (Tampa) wouldn't try something fishy but who knows these days.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:19 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Bradenton , FL
I was not impressed by Airstream of Tampa. We looked at units there and a few other places and ended up purchasing out of state. This transaction smells too fishy. I would run. There are way too many other Airstreams to purchase.
emsgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 02:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
The trailer is about $10K below market price. So that begs the question, did they know about the history.

I'm also thinking possible roof panel replacement/hail damage. Not sure if a regular RV service center would touch that, so I have a support request into Airstream factory service center and maybe they can provide info.

It just sucks because it's the exact configuration I've been looking for months and it's near me.

You'd think the worlds largest Airstream dealer (Tampa) wouldn't try something fishy but who knows these days.
I'd think you are in a good position to negotiate more off if you do decide to go through with it. Hopefully it was repaired at JC.

Maybe the dealer didn't know. They'd have to be able to search insurance claims, but you'd think they would do their due diligence.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Run, don't walk.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
The $ amount isn't necessarily indicating severe damage.

A couple of weeks ago, a fellow Airstreamer caught the rear power awning support of a 30ft Globetrotter on the edge of a garage as he was moving the trailer out of the garage. The awning support rid was damaged, along with the awning mounting point to the airstream, the aluminum side panel on the airstream, etc.

I have seen the photos. Damage looks really minor.

The initial repair estimate is $18K. The final repair cost is likely to be higher.

With the cost of labor and materials these days, nearly any repair is becoming expensive. This is why insurance costs are rising so rapidly and vehicles and trailers are more and more likely to be totaled for relatively minor repairable damage.

Recommend hiring a reputable RV inspector and also using this knowledge to negotiate a better price if the inspection report is positive.

The beauty of Airstreams riveted construction is that just like aircraft, the trailer can be restored to as new condition.

Many Airstreams have had shell/structural repairs done. In most cases, buyers never learn about them, never have a reason to care about them and will never experience any negative outcome from the repair as long as the repairs are done well.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 12:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The dealer didn't tell you about this significant damage event. You learned about it through your insurer. The dealer also cannot tell you what the damage was or where it was repaired which leaves you not knowing important details. I think you should keep looking.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 01:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
So I found what I thought was a good deal, a 2019 Classic 30RB for $85K. I put a deposit down.

During the purchase process, my insurer says his system shows a $42K claim from 2022. It doesn't show any data on what the damage was, who repaired it etc.

The dealer (Airstream of Tampa) is saying it's in "great condition" from their inspections.

Thoughts? Good deal? Run?

I would wonder why your “purchase process” was not a PRE-purchase process. Getting the VIN and doing an insurance inquiry is a great prepurchase tool. The insurance industry is elegantly interconnected and will reveal any and all claims on a potential purchase.
The dealer, wanting the sale, will shrug his shoulders and will gaslight you by saying “it’s in great condition”.

I hope you get your deposit back.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I had a panel replacement. I drove it through pouring rain storm, we had pouring rain storms while camping, and there were no leaks. It is very possible to do panel repairs without leakage.

Also you can tell if it is panel replacement. The seals are different.

Yes, it’s easy to walk. But you could also be walking from a good deal as well. I’d do a bit more investigation and negotiation.

1) Get the specifics as to what the damages were. That could mean finding the previous owner and asking what occurred and why they got rid of the unit after the repairs.
2) Talk to the place that did the repairs to find out the extensiveness of damage, and to find out how they certified them.
3) Get a guarantee from the dealer that there is a warranty on the trailer for a specified time. Thus they would be certifying the condition and standing by their claim it is in great condition. If they aren’t wiling to do that….walk.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:27 AM   #16
RollinCrazy

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I purchased my 2011 30’ Flying Cloud and did not know about prior claims

I purchased my 2011 30’ Flying Cloud from Vought RV which is now DFW Airstream in 2017. I was aware that it had hail damage because I could see the hail damage. I insured the Airstream through Progressive and the insurance increased about $1K a year for the last 3 years. Half a tree fell on the Airstream in Feb 2023 and when the Progressive adjuster came out to assess the damage, he mentioned a $70K claim was paid out from Progressive against the Airstream in 2013- I had no idea and Progressive did not inform me of the claim when I called them for the initial insurance in 2017. They paid my claim of $4500, charged me an extra $250 and then refused to renew my insurance since they said that it had damage on it from 2013 that I did not disclose.
The Airstream is not insurable and I can only insure the contents with USAA.
I recommend to run away from anything with damage if you plan on insuring it!!!
murrisa72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:44 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Run If it has a salvage title, run faster.
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrisa72 View Post
I purchased my 2011 30’ Flying Cloud from Vought RV which is now DFW Airstream in 2017. I was aware that it had hail damage because I could see the hail damage. I insured the Airstream through Progressive and the insurance increased about $1K a year for the last 3 years. Half a tree fell on the Airstream in Feb 2023 and when the Progressive adjuster came out to assess the damage, he mentioned a $70K claim was paid out from Progressive against the Airstream in 2013- I had no idea and Progressive did not inform me of the claim when I called them for the initial insurance in 2017. They paid my claim of $4500, charged me an extra $250 and then refused to renew my insurance since they said that it had damage on it from 2013 that I did not disclose.
The Airstream is not insurable and I can only insure the contents with USAA.
I recommend to run away from anything with damage if you plan on insuring it!!!
Did you try another insurer? We had Progressive through USAA and after a claim they raised our rates by 50% on our 2023. We switched to State Farm who were a lot cheaper compared to our original rate with Progressive. They didn't care much about our one claim. With a 2011 maybe it's harder to insure regardless. I also found out we were also paying Progressive for coverage that our USAA homeowners/auto covered (like liability and contents).

Back to the OP, it sounds like the repairs held up from 2013?
Old 06-12-2024, 09:53 AM   #19

Charlotte , Vermont
I'd run away from this. The dealer sounds dishonest, to say the least. All this being said, I have a 2020 30RB Globetrotter for sale in excellent condition. It has a twin bed configuration. Message me if you are interested.
It's in Colorado.
krissivt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:56 AM   #20

1993 34' Excella
Hudsonville , Michigan
I’d look for Olympic rivets on the trailer. That would give you an idea of what was repaired. My friend had a 30ft with hail damage and the buck rivet panel replacement was 52 grand at Airstream with Olympics it was in the 30’s.
Jflietstra is offline   Reply With Quote