Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
As stated previously, Just Say No.

I have had a car salesman acquaintance of mine tell me flat out that these add-ons are basically worthless once you read the fine print, and are pure profit for the dealership.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Every single thing they tried to sell you is relatively valueless.

Instead of $1795 for some "sealer", search this forum for the preventative measures you can take using Corrosion X or Boeshield, do that instead and put the money in your pocket.

Portfolio Protection at $4895 -- your Globetrotter, mechanically, is a pretty simple machine. Couple of axles, some bearings and some brakes are pretty much all the moving parts. The appliances and other installed devices are pretty standard stuff that is pretty robust and even if, say, your water heater failed 2 years and one day after purchase, a replacement is about $600 bucks. So you can see that pretty much everything would have to fail in fairly short order after your warranty expired for you to even get close to spending almost five grand.

Flat tire protection at $1000? Buy one of the many recommended TPMS systems discussed on the forum. You would have to lose all four tires to recoup a grand...
Thanks!
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #23
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Another form of flat tire protection, which we actually used while on the road in Florida, thousands of miles from home: We bought our tires from a place like Discount Tire and got their road hazard warranty. We ran over a nail and they fixed it for us, at zero cost with minimal waiting. Of course it was the TPMS that told us we had a problem, so get both, and carry a trailer-aide ramp to help with replacing flat tires on a dual-axle trailer. Even though we went to a professional establishment to fix the tire for us, they were extremely pleased that we had the ramp, and made use of it during the repair of the flatted tire. Turns out the slope of their driveway made the standard Airstream jack point difficult to use, and the ramp was both perfect and safe. Winning!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
So - it's all worthless. Everyone says so. Except that we just had warranty work done for a $50 deductable and that is on a three year old trailer. The coating is keeping the aluminum shiny and makes removal of those pesky smashed bugs easy. The flat tire issue might well be addressed with an equipment upgrade, so figure what works for you on that one. We spent about $400 for two new tires recently, so not a pocket book killer if you do need to replace. The tow package might well be a value. It's more a factor of where you will travel. An AAA upgrade covers some places well and others almost not at all. Investigate to find your best solution.

For years, we have rejected warranty offerings. But as labor for repairs keeps going up and the complexity of systems grows, it becomes a more interesting option. The good news is that RVs are still well within the capability of most DIY folks. So there is less need for a waranty if you can fix it yourself. If you expect to use the dealer for repairs, the warranty gives you leverage to build a good relationship with the service organization. And if cost is a bit of an issue, you may find the final cost to be negotiable.

The coating can be ignored if you plan to wax a couple of times a year. Note that the aluminum used on your AS has a mill applied clear coat that is very rugged. Unfortunately, the cuts that the AS factory makes to fit the panels and rivets are not coated. Something is required to protect those edges and holes as well as scratches from use. The coating, wax, sealer, or clear coat can all work. Each has a different advantage. As a minimum, get a clear coat touch up pen to deal with scratches immediately when they occur.

Good luck with the new coach. Travel safe and prepare for smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
One other thought. Would not buy an add on warranty if it had to be financed. Paying for an insurance police once is enough. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #26
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
We returned to our dealer to sign the papers for our 2018 Globetrotter yesterday (Friday). The finance guy seemed upset that we hadn't purchased cilajet ($1795) sealant, Tyron flat tire protection ($1000), or Portfolio Protection ($4895) mechanical breakdown protection.

When the dealer GM came in, the finance guy told us that the GM wouldn't be happy because the finance guy hand't sold us any add ons. The GM spent the next 30 minutes telling us why we needed there three additions. I was starting to think that maybe we needed more that we had, but held my position.

I'm a data guy, so my response was consistently that I'd go and do my research and then call back if I wanted any additional coverage.

So the questions that I want to ask are:
1. Do folks believe that the additional breakdown warranty is worth it versus paying out of pocket?
2. If the warranty is worth it, which firm? (seems that that Portfolio Protection is not liked by some)
3. celajet was promoted as a way of preventing corrosion and fabric protection - is it worth it? Again, $1795 seemed steep to me.
4. Is tyron really going to help when pulling a two axle trailer? The dudes mentioned that the product will also close the deductable gap should damage occur. My thoughts are that a tire pressure monitoring system might be more valuable.

Thanks! ... Duncan
Duncan, ask the GM and finance guy if they want to make a sale, or if they just want to bluster. You donít need the add on programs. Be careful of options as well. Our dealer wanted over $2600 for 150 watts of Zamp solar. Other RV places in our area were between $1100-$1300. Our dealer agreed to do it in the lower range.

Even though I like the Airstream culture, I have had it with the dealerships. If we go for a different RV, itís probably not going to be an Airstream. Thatís mostly because of my interactions with the dealerís finance types. Iím thinking about a Tiffen product if we upgrade.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sorry to hear about the closing pressure. I was fortunate and got zero of that. All the finance person wanted was our check and signature. I agree with all previous posters; none of these add ons are necessary!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:53 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
You don't need extra coverage...Your 2 yr. Warranty will cover anything that may go wrong with it...It's money in the pocket of the dealer..After your shake down cruise, you'll find anything that needs to be fixed...Congratulations on buying one of the best RVs on the market...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
Personally I think your good to go..Your warranty will cover anything that may go wrong....Congratulations on your new Airstream.... Go out and enjoy it...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
When getting pressure from the "closing types", I always ask the question of them "what part of NO, can you not comprehend?". That usually stops the crap they try to push on you. If they get pushy, push back. Friends in the automotive industry tell me that the extra's are the biggest profit makers at the dealership. Do your homework on loans as well. They make big profit on everything extra. The one issue that irks me most is the "document fee". Why should I pay a salesman to make out a bill of sale? It is time the buying public said NO to all the extra costs at dealerships. Just my 2 cents of rant for today!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
1976 22' Argosy
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote