Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
supplying our airstream - we're newbies

I am looking for the right vacuum cleaner for our Excella 31' ft with all laminate flooring. Would like to convert the vacuum hose to blow up the air mattress also. Any ideas?

Also, do the collapsible colanders really work?

Third, do you use a dish drainer, or the new drainer "rugs"?

Thanks for your help!
panora2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
I am looking for the right vacuum cleaner for our Excella 31' ft with all laminate flooring. Would like to convert the vacuum hose to blow up the air mattress also. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
We have a 1989 Excella 29 footer with laminate flooring all around. I have a "Swifter" and a broom. Swiffer it, then mop with swifter. I also have a small Dirt Devil to do upholstery cushions when needed. It fits in a small clear plastic tote. The Swifter comes apart and can be stored in the top of our closet.
Collapsible colanders work. I have a small one.
The rule in our AS is that most items that come in have to be small, lightweight and do double duty if/when possible.
I have one of those tiny dish drainers for RVs that fits right down into the second stainless steel bowl.
Have fun stocking up!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Vacuum can be used to inflate, but we have air mattress with built in pump. Works great.

Wife uses dish drain and towel. Towel keeps the drain from sliding with dishes, then use towel to stack glasses.

Collapsing colander is good idea.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

The colander I use is the type where you hold the lid to the pot real close and turn at an angle until water stops coming out. As for dish drainers, wash, dry, put away. Remember, you are in a small space and it does not take much to "trash the place". I can tell you from personal experience, the less you have the better off you will be.

We like many went out and bought a bunch of stuff to later find we never used it. We found it's better to travel light, cook and eat outside when ever possible and throw your plates in the campfire after eating!

Enjoy,
Old 07-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
We use the stick house vacuum at the end of trips when necessary and just have a manual push-type carpet cleaner that we use on the carpet and laminates during trips. Vacuums are big and heavy and the 12v ones aren't any good.

Quote:
Yes but they are harder to clean and don't save much space because a well-chosen metal colander can be nested with bowls and other kitchen items.

Quote:
We now have a metal dish drainer that is more or less the right size, having previously used a wood one (looked cool but hard to store and it eventually fell apart) and a Camco rv-sized plastic one (too small).
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Use a little bitty Dirt Devil broom vac and a little bitty hand held battery pump for the bed.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We use a Eureka stick vac. It will run off of the 1,100 watt inverter as well as shore power. It gets daily use on the carpeted floor.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote