Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

1964 19' Globetrotter
TN , Tennessee
Should I??? Noob questions...

Let me begin with introducing myself and apologizing up front. I HAVE NOT done my homework and I admit this!

I stumbled upon a 1964 19' and need expert advice as to buy or not. I will disclose as much as I know about this little girl!

Stats:
1964 19'. Has new roof air, new 2 burner stove top, new refrigerator. No oven (this does not stress me out; it makes room for microwave.) When I went to look at the camper the air was super cold. The gentleman told me that he normally heats it with a plug in ceramic heater, but told me the furnace does work and when/if I go back, I will make sure of this.
single axel
There is no awning, nor evidence that one was ever there.
Has front couch/fold out/
behind kitchen there are 2 twin beds
bath is in rear

To me, the floor was solid; i walked around and stuck a toe in every spot and nothing seemed soft
two rear dents outside; no evidence of leaks. the owner told me that he consulted an Airstream repair man and he advised since there were no leaks that he would leave as is.
cabinets appear to be original (not that I would know how to recognize )
has electric leveling jack
there is no fold out/down table
original (I think) glass in windows - it has the louvered windows next to the door.
It has no attached stability jacks
not polished ( I don't care but don't know if it makes a difference one way or the other.)

Now, I have a personal rule; I never buy a "toy" that I can't get back out of quickly and without losing money. A few hundred bucks, I understand that, but I only buy "toys" that typically hold their value if maintained properly (which I am pretty good about doing). I have to be able to liquidate should some life "situation" arise and I need money quickly (heat-pump goes out, tree falls on my truck, illness..... I have a retirement fund that I can always pull money from, but at 37, I act like it does not exist and never really count on that money....I have a full time teaching position and don't plan to lose it, but I like to err on the side of caution - maybe having scientists for parents contributed to this?
I know there is no way to give me a definite yes or no, but if I pay 5k, in your more expert opinion, can I get back out of it if need be? Meaning, put it on craigslist or the like. For what I have described, does this seem like a good price? Again, I know this is vague, but you folks know much much much more than I and any and all help is appreciated!

Sorry for rambling, and sincere apologies for my first post being a list of noob questions.

Peace,
KJPINTN
kjpintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Airstreams are a lot like wine -- everyone has their preference and value is in the eye of the beholder. The unit as described sounds great and I almost guarantee you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it.

Your dilemma is the "getting out of" side of the equation. You absolutely cannot count on finding a willing buyer who will meet your price in any kind of timely manner. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you wait and wait -- there are lots of tire kickers out there. With gas heading towards $4 a gallon, you gotta wonder about the RV market in the near term.

It is not a liquid investment and when you start upgrading things and tricking things out (and you will, you will...) you will probably end up with more in it than you can get out of it.

If you buy it, consider the money invested towards years of discount vacations not as a capital asset.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, I feel that a vintage Airstream should be approached as a purchase, not as an investment.

That being said, what you have described could be worth the asking price. This is especially true if the floors and frame are, in fact, in good condition. The 19' size make this Airstream more desirable than larger models of the same vintage.

I think that you would have to approach this as a long term commitment as opposed to a "flipper" unit that can be quickly liquidated. I feel that the value is there, but a fast and profitable exit could be difficult.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
While I agree with n2916s that you may not be able to find "The Buyer" to pay you what you're looking for in a timely manner, I'd add that the trailer you're looking at seems to be a popular model with the vintage crowd. There are some happy Globetrotter owners on these forums, and shorter vintage trailers always seem to fetch higher prices than an otherwise comparable longer trailer from the same era.

The vintage price guide suggests that the very low end of average for the trailer you describe should be around $4400, and that was written a year or more ago. There's lots of other useful information on that site for someone considering a vintage purchase.

Good luck on the decision... I recently jumped in with both feet myself!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

New Fridge and AC are very valuable in themselves. You can't go wrong there. I am looking at the price of replacing appliances in my '64 Bambi II in the future, and that is a harrowing experience.

Not polished...big deal. These things look great as mirrors or as filmy gray trailers.

I always wanted a small AS- and got my Bambi II by being in the right place at the right time. I did look at it as kind of an investment being a small vintage AS (don't think it can possibly depreciate much), but still do not intend on ever selling it. We now have a little girl and she will inherit it some day.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
As Moosetags said, it's not an investment unless you want to rehab vintage trailers and sell them as a business.

What you are buying is recreational pleasure. Some buy new because their pleasure is traveling. Some buy vintage because they enjoy tinkering and the challenge of making it better...and someday traveling.

But we all bought Airstreams because we think they are pretty cool.

If you enjoy one of the options above, you can't loose.
mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You didn't mention what shape the running gear or tires are in.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
New Fridge and AC are very valuable in themselves. ..... .
Well, unless it is a 110 house/apartment style fridge (vs the 2 or 3-way RV type) like mine . Course I hardly ever dry camp - and the house style fridge is BIG - but the propane/electric/DC is much more valuable and costly!

Here is another good resource to help you assess the shape of that trailer: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/trailer-inspection-checklist-43294.html

Good luck - post some pics if you make a purchase!!!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
There is certainly a practical side to having a travel trailer as well. It is not necessarily all fun and games.
I had an old motor home a few years back and was making a transition one fall and to save money I lived in it for the summer. I was able to rent a private trailer space for $150 a month. It sure wasn't luxury but it was ok. The MH almost paid for itself that summer.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You can probably get back out of it. Small AS are very popular. But then again, if you have time to go look at it and think about it, and it's still available, then maybe your area is not the best place to sell it later I spent months chasing after AS without even getting to look at one, and when I finally did I put money down immediately! But in the right market, sure, you can probably get that much or more out of a GT.

On the other hand, if everything falls apart and you lose your job and your savings is depleted - don't sell the trailer! You'll need somewhere to live

Since we had some restoration experience, I thought our trailer was just another vintage toy on wheels, like our mustangs or corvette, but the trailer has outlasted all of them, and I really don't see us ever parting with it. AS are special that way.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Sounds like a fun project. I'd probably go for it.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote