Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #1

2007 20' Safari SE
Packwood , WA
Selling Airstream and scams???

Has anyone else been contacted by buyers and it seems like a scam? Thanks.
GOGOGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's a constant thing with nearly everything you try to sell online.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If someone is willing to buy your trailer, (or anything else for that matter), sight unseen, and offering to pay you exactly what you want for it........it's a scam; stop all contact right there. These scammers prey upon peoples greed, (this loser is going to pay me full pop for my trailer that isn't worth that much)......the only loser in this deal, is you. These scammers are pro's at appealing to your greed.

They will send you a "certified cheque" for the full amount PLUS an amount for you to send to a "shipping company" after you deposit the cheque. The scammers will try and get you to send the money to the "shipping company" as fast as possible and will give you a huge song and dance story to get you to do that. If you send the funds to the "shipping company", that money is gone. The original "certified cheque" will bounce two weeks later; that's why the rush to get you to send the money.

They don't want what you're trying to sell.....they only want the shipping money.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And if you get a text message telling you to respond using your email, don't do it.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

This sort of thing goes on with Craig's List, eBay, and every other "for sale" site on the internet. Scam's come up on both ends of the deal ( buyer scams and seller scams ). There is never a way to be 100% sure this or that is legit. There are a *lot* of ways to tell if it's a fraud.

It's not even restricted to buy/sell sites. I just got into a "conversation" with a family friend. The bottom line was that it was *not* with her. It was with somebody who had hacked her account. The next step was to see if they could mess with me.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
If someone is willing to buy your trailer, (or anything else for that matter), sight unseen, and offering to pay you exactly what you want for it........it's a scam; stop all contact right there. These scammers prey upon peoples greed, (this loser is going to pay me full pop for my trailer that isn't worth that much)......the only loser in this deal, is you. These scammers are pro's at appealing to your greed.

They will send you a "certified cheque" for the full amount PLUS an amount for you to send to a "shipping company" after you deposit the cheque. The scammers will try and get you to send the money to the "shipping company" as fast as possible and will give you a huge song and dance story to get you to do that. If you send the funds to the "shipping company", that money is gone. The original "certified cheque" will bounce two weeks later; that's why the rush to get you to send the money.

They don't want what you're trying to sell.....they only want the shipping money.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Yep! That happened to me here in the classifieds last week. The buyer in a hurry, buying sight unseen for full price and wants to use a shipping company. Contacted me as a text. The phone was from LA, she said she was from the east coast. They don't even try to be creative anymore.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Just say "I only deal in cash at a bank with both of us present!" You won't hear from them again, or put it in your ad and you won't hear from them at all.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Just say "I only deal in cash at a bank with both of us present!" You won't hear from them again, or put it in your ad and you won't hear from them at all.
Hi

.... you are assuming they can read ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
LOL...YES, I'm assuming they can read!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Shalimar , Florida
BEWARE I know this is an old comment I am responding to. But wanted to put it out there that we had a scammer by the name of Mark Wright trying this scam with us on Airstream Classifieds. He would not give any personal info, wanted to buy sight unseen and mail a certified check, have a shipper pick up. (All through messaging.) December 2023.
cwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:30 AM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
The nice thing about Airstream Classifieds is you can see how much they have interacted with anyone on Airstream Forums i.e. forum posts. It also shows how long they have been on AS forums or AS Classifieds. Shameless plug: I have CCD Bambi listed there. And I’m not even a scammer…
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:15 AM   #12

1963 16' Bambi
Gig Harbor , Washington
Suspicious ad reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhitney View Post
BEWARE I know this is an old comment I am responding to. But wanted to put it out there that we had a scammer by the name of Mark Wright trying this scam with us on Airstream Classifieds. He would not give any personal info, wanted to buy sight unseen and mail a certified check, have a shipper pick up. (All through messaging.) December 2023.
Hi CWhitney Thanks for posting this info. I too just received a response to my ad from a markwright. He asked questions that were clearly addressed in my ad (therefore not necessary and suspicious). I replied to ask if he or his message was indeed legitimate and not a scam. I can talk/type for hours about my Bambi, and wheel-and-deal on a price, but not if it’s to a bot or a con artist.
1963Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Back a few years ago we were interested in a used Bambi, the seller wanted us to put down an escrowed payment to Google Payments. Google was supposedly acting as the escrow agent until the trailer was delivered. They had an actual website branded with Google logo and a URL with "google" in it and a lot of pages to make it look legitimate. The whole deal smelled fishy and digging a little deeper I could tell the website was scam. But someone in a hurry and not paying attention could have fell for it. I reported it to Google but didn't hear anything.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

central , North Carolina
When I sold my Excella, about a third of the people that responded were scammers.
I posted clearly in my ad that I would only deal with potential buyers in person to finalize the sale and I would only accept cash as payment. Still, they tried.
99Excella34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Example of good Scammer.... 2014

I was dealing in Mining and Geological Science technical books for ten years. This was one of the better scammers. They were persistent. I contacted the California College of Arts and they said the Check... was a Forgery.

A Google Search had three pages about this individual... Scammer Score: 100% from a Search of the telephone number.

Local police department would do nothing about the intended Fraud. Nothing from California, as well. No interest in Florida.

The Scammer(s) wanted Technical Books for an Orphanage in Florida and a refund for the excess money paid in error.

I used to have the 'Check is in the Mail' Scammers in other businesses that needed the item NOW... it was urgent. (This was in the 1970's.) I dealt Internationally and ignored and never responded in those days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	439887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	439888  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 2.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	439889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 3.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	439890  

Old 01-06-2024, 12:09 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Oak Park , Michigan
Mark Wright scam

Hey y’all, Thanks for the comments on this and everything else I’ve looked for on this forum. Just continuing the thread as “Mark Wright” tried the buy scam on me today too.

Jeff
jshop0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Florence , Kentucky
Greetings,
As always "buyer beware".. years ago we looked at a nice AS on Airstream Marketplace only to learn the seller was trying to "jump the title". Seller advised his name wasn't on the title (which was an immediate red flag) because he purchase the trailer from another party and was just wanting to sell it. A bit of research with the local DVM made us suspect the seller was attempting to skirt around paying taxes.. it just didn't pass the smell test. The seller made many attempts to contact us trying to "make a deal" and was very agressive in that effort. Buying or Selling do your research and if necessary seek legal assistance..
Good luck & Safe travels
ChaseTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:03 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Littleton , Colorado
Mark Wright is trying to buy my Airstream too.

He's got just enough online presence that he comes up on LinkedIn and in an address search that matches the same address he shared.

Same deal. Couple questions. Offer to buy with cashiers check and then to have a shipper come.

I'm going to play this out but assume it is a scam.
icebox500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Bambi
Oly , Washington
Mark Wright, Yes, my 2023 Bambi is for sale, however, I am encumbered by a current divorce/bankruptcy issue, I will need a small advance fee (cash, please) *to process your check at Walmart In order to make this deal proceed...

-
saltbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltbreez View Post
Mark Wright, Yes, my 2023 Bambi is for sale, however, I am encumbered by a current divorce/bankruptcy issue, I will need a small advance fee (cash, please) *to process your check at Walmart In order to make this deal proceed...

-
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote