Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
The more you sell and buy,
the more you get burned,
so is best to leave or recieve a cash deposit
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I have to agree with REDNAX (post 5). I bought our TT by putting down a 10 % deposit. We had the money in the bank but seller wouldn't take a check. We even offered to let them keep TT & all paper work till check cleared. So we went to ATMs to get cash for deposit. The seller gave us 2 weeks as our money was in a NY bank. He was willing to give us this deal in writing. Very important when handing over cash to a stranger. We had to write a check to ourselves, deposit it locally, wait till it cleared then take cash out of local bank.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Roxbury , New York
Hi, as somebody who recently purchased a 1974 22 ft rear door Argosy, sight unseen! Maybe I got really lucky. I could not travel to Ohio from NYC to see it, through this Forum i contacted a local inspector (word up Ganglin!) who check it all out for me.. at this stage I had sent a $1000 deposit, as soon as I got a ALL CLEAR that it did exist and was in good shape, i sent seller another deposit, whilst I arranged local transportation and delivery. Lastly I express mailed the final check (these were all personal checks) seller released trailer, but held title till final check cleared and then express mail me the title. It all went so well and I have to think, it was because it was meant to be!
hang in there your trailer could be around the corner.
pavlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We put a cashiers check deposit on ours sight unseen (but lots of pics), with the understanding that the seller would hold it until spring when we could get to it (it was in AL). The understanding was also that if, for some reason we didn't want it or couldn't finish the deal, the deposit was the sellers. We also offered the asking price, since we were asking them to hold it for us for about 2 months. Worked out well. We took a cashiers check down for the rest, made the exchange after we had seen the trailer, and were satisfied with it (no surprises there).
You'll find the right one, and it will go well when you do, BECAUSE it's the right one!
Best of luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
I can understand your frustration, however several times with cars and motorcycles buyers have told me, "I'll be back tomorrow with the cash" yet they never return or give a courtesy call. After turning down other buyers and having these "no shows" to deal with, I have learned it is best for everyone to get a deposit or consider it still on the market.
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote