Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It really depends on what the actual condition is. Polish and laminate floors don't mean anything. If you want a potential project get the 79. My 81 required a lot of work to get going again and it was in better shape than most. If you want something that requires less work to maintain and get operational the 01 might be better. Personally, I would go for the 01 since it is decades newer. I bought a trailer to camp not as a project but I got a project anyway. Check the condition of the floor in both trailers. Is the 79 a center or rear bath. A rear bath unit is much harder to repair and harder to see floor damage since it is covered by the bathroom.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Just paid the $20. I've started a number of forums and I know how much work they are. And this one has a great culture and tons of information. Best 20 bucks I've spent in a long time. Thanks to all.

Poppy

P.S. Now I just need to figure out Lili.
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Perry...

The '79 is a rear bath. The previous owner spent the winters in it in Arizona. He passed away and after a year and a half it's being sold my his daughter. The PO polished it himself and from other things I've been told he appears to have been pretty handy. All of the polishing tools and many other extras come with it.

As you say, just as with vintage cars, condition is everything. I'll know a lot more by tomorrow night.

Poppy
Old 09-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Poppy

The 79 might need some work. Check out the bathroom well. This is usually the first place they start to rot (rear wall floor). Let me just add my 2 cents here as well.. It really all depends upon what the PO has replaced on this 79 unit. I would take that into consideration, since there is certainly no guarantee that the 2001 will not need work in the near future, as well. More importantly, a trailer that is not used regularly is cause for a cautious approach.

thom
thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks Thom. I'm really leaning toward the '01 after the sobering reality of this current thread. I have restored a number of vintage cars, I'm pretty hands on, I really enjoy the process - and the end result. But right now my wife and I just want to head out on our little adventure. And we would like to get out of Central Oregon before the snow flies.

Poppy
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
What do you think of the '79 at $10-12K? I haven't been following prices long enough to have a feel. I know condition is everything. This one is nice and shiny and the owner says several things have been rebuilt and that everything works properly. And no signs of rust or corrosion around the rear where the bathroom is.

There is the time factor but it seems like an acquisition cost in this range might leave room for necessary work.

Thanks,
Poppy
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #27

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
[QUOTE="
P.S. Now I just need to figure out Lili.[/QUOTE]

That'll never happen! Just read and enjoy

Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
What do you think of the '79 at $10-12K? I haven't been following prices long enough to have a feel. I know condition is everything. This one is nice and shiny
Probably closer to its real worth. That shine costs about $100 a foot to have done, or a lot of really filthy, messy hard work along with some fairly expensive tools to accomplish. Oh, and it needs to have at least part of that same work done annually.

As for the "partially rebuilt" part of the story still means most appliances will still need to be replaced. Look at it this way: would you consider keeping a 34-year-old water heater or furnace in your home?

But having said all that, you are clearly Jonesing for a project. Tell you what; buy both trailers! You could travel while you are still 70, and yet still tinker when you are at home. Maybe by your 75th birthday, you could either start using the '79, or sell it completely refurbed.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
A few thoughts:

The 2001 is probably priced a few thousand dollars too high, but I'm sure there's some haggling room there. That said, if kept in good condition, it's probably pretty close to being fully depreciated.

The 1979 looks mighty nice. You need to make sure the floor and frame are solid though. There are a few nice features in this trailer, like fully-opening windows, that the 2001 Safari doesn't have.

Personally, having both done extensive work to a vintage trailer and owning a newer one, I'd buy the newest one you can afford. (I'd actually be tempted to look for a 25' with the front panoramic windows, but that's another hunt.) The likelihood of big "surprises' is less with the newer trailer - but realize that there would still be repairs and upgrades you'd want to make before setting off on the big trip.

Good luck!
Tom
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Another reason to get a newer trailer is the smell. Hard to get that old trailer smell out unless you gut the thing and get all the wet fiberglass out of the floor and walls.

Perry
Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
A few thoughts:

The 2001 is probably priced a few thousand dollars too high, but I'm sure there's some haggling room there. That said, if kept in good condition, it's probably pretty close to being fully depreciated.

The 1979 looks mighty nice. You need to make sure the floor and frame are solid though. There are a few nice features in this trailer, like fully-opening windows, that the 2001 Safari doesn't have.

Personally, having both done extensive work to a vintage trailer and owning a newer one, I'd buy the newest one you can afford. (I'd actually be tempted to look for a 25' with the front panoramic windows, but that's another hunt.) The likelihood of big "surprises' is less with the newer trailer - but realize that there would still be repairs and upgrades you'd want to make before setting off on the big trip.

Good luck!
Tom
Tom makes a lot of good points. Windows that open all the way are important to me. If they don't open all the way, it doesn't seem like they should be in an Airstream. That is a cost cutting measure.

I wish I was out there with you and could look at both of them with you. You might try to find an Airstream inspector to tag along with you.

Maybe you should widen your search.

Another option is just to buy the 01, start traveling and living in it. You will quickly find out what works for you and your wife and what does not. Then when you figure out what you really want, go find it (take your time) and sell the 01. Since your are buying it at a low price, it should be easy to sell and get your money out of it. I really think this is what I might do if I were you. But I am not, you need to make your own decision.

Good luck and have fun. I don't think you can make a bad decision here.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Since you are planning to full time in your choice, I promote the 2001 for the added space and much larger tanks. Life is a little easier when you don't have to use a honey wagon or drag your trailer to the dump location in Nat'l and State parks without sewer lines located at your site. Inspect and evaluate the maintenance completed, then haggle on price and be happy wherever you end up as the price is not far off market if it is in great to excellent condition.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The seller of the 01 is an active member on this forum - I recognize the barn from a storage thread. That trailer has been well looked after.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Both my grandfather and father retired their silver trailers at age 75. I'd go with the newer one. And the TV can be modded by advice from Andrew Thomson at Can Am RV (Andrew_T).

Use your mech experience to find and use best techs to your satisfaction . . and camp!!

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Another thing to add - the weight difference between these two trailers probably isn't that much in reality. Older Airstream factory weight tables did not include options, like air conditioning. In contrast, A/C is standard on the newer trailers...

Tom
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I really appreciate the helpful input here. A major concern I have had about a newer AS is the additional weight as I would like to use my ML500 as the tow vehicle. That concern has been put to rest. I sent a message to Andy at Can-Am as many have recommended (thank you Dan and Slowmover) and he kindly responded. He describes it as a great tow vehicle with a practical limit of 7,000 pounds. What a relief.

He sent me an interesting article that he has written about these that finally answers the question why they are rated at 5,000 lbs. in the U.S. and 7,000 lbs. in Europe and what's behind the disagreement on using weight distribution hitches on monocoque construction.

That, combined with the informed input I have received here, is swinging me back sharply to a newer one. Lord knows I'm vintage myself, maybe a good reason to have a non-vintage trailer.

I hope to meet many of you on the road in person. If all goes well we will be heading South out of Bend in January to parts as yet unspecified.

Poppy
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get you an old one as a fun project and actually use the new one.

Perry
Old 09-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

Perry
I evidently have an OK tow vehicle, but I doubt it will tow TWO of them !

Poppy
Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I was not suggesting you make a silver bullet train. One at a time is enough. For some reason, I am envisioning a tourist trap on route 66 with a train made up of Airstream trailers for the cars.

Perry
Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

Perry
Perry, I believe they want to tour the USA in an Airstream, not be stuck at home working on one, like many of us are.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote