Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

2013 27' FB International
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Scams

I’ve had my Airstream 2013 International Sterling for sale for a few months now. I’d like to start adding to this thread every time I get a scam text which is quite often. It involves PAYPAL and the buyer wanting to send money via PP and then send a shipper to collect the trailer. This is all via text, site unseen, and they refuse to call you. ITS A SCAM!!! The last one had this phone number: (231) 201-2571 and said his name was Jay. They disappear when u call them out.
Chair639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Yup, standard MO. I get the same for nearly anything of value that you put up for sale on line.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Good thing is they are easy to spot.
A real buyer will make phone contact right away without all the texting games.
Just watched ours go out the driveway today from a picture perfect transaction, Good communication all along with funds wired into my account yesterday afternoon and Bambi picked up today.
It did take a few tries though with the last potential buyer calling me the scammer for requiring a wire transfer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	335176  

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
That might be a relief
All I get are the people worried about my automobile warrantee about to expire. I get a "final" call every day about 11:30 am. Blocked so many numbers but the still get through.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Scams - maybe - or someone helping - warning

Got a call yesterday from a dealer wanting to purchase the 2017 Tiffin that we have for sale on Facebook. Danger, danger, danger Will Robinson!

We do not use Facebook. We don't have a 2017 Tiffin.

We did post that we were moving from our Airstream to a Tiffin 33. So, it's possible that someone got their wires crossed. But 2017 was not in the post for either the AS or the 33, so????

If this stemmed from someone trying to help us sell the Airstream, Thank you. If you have found this to be a scam, please pass any info you have to law enforcement. If it is someone trying to sell their Tiffin, contact the Tiffin dealers in your area. It sounds like at least one is interested.

Folks, be really careful of your information sources. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Hold onto your wallet... they are out there.

Individuals will use Public Records of homes and get the Owner's name, price last paid for their home right off of Zillow, an area photograph of your home, square footage, taxes and lots of information.

Sometimes the Aerial Photograph will have your vehicle parked in the driveway.

We had a telephone call several weeks ago, a guy wanted to buy our home. It was not for sale. He asked if we were interested. He liked our location.

"Naw... what did you have in mind?" I asked. He wanted to make a Down Payment and then have me, the Seller, Finance the rest. (He was looking for homes without a mortgage.)

Information is out there if you like it or not. Before selling anything, go to your bank or credit union and set something up with them.

I have a Cashier's Check from a College in California for $2250. It showed up in an overnight Fed Ex packet, unsolicited, for a group of Technical Physics and Geology Books. The payment was $500 too much. (An overpayment Error, of course.)

A caller asked that if I would refund the difference to them after depositing the Cashiers Check. A truck will come and pick up the books shortly.

I contacted the College and sent them a scan. A forgery. Not good.

This person, I do not have my research on this person in front of me, had a long list of scams on a Google Search. They were in Florida. The Fed Ex was sent from New York. The books were to be delivered to an Orphanage in Florida.

This telephone number and similar area codes called every day. I did not answer. I did not want them to even know the phone was active or even used. The calls would come and a message wondering if the $500 was sent.

After the amount of time it would have taken for the Bogus Cashier's Check to bounce and be removed from my bank credit, the calls quit and I kept this Cashier's Check. The local Police said nothing could be done.

Even CASH is suspect today. The Chinese sell counterfeit $100 bills and Coins at very little asking. This I was told exists. Counterfeit coins now are popular. Check the internet. It is all out there in the Public. Just be aware.

If you won the Lottery in (fill in the blank) but need to pay a registration fee, it is no mistake. They play on YOUR Greed.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Even CASH is suspect today. The Chinese sell counterfeit $100 bills and Coins at very little asking. This I was told exists. Counterfeit coins now are popular. Check the internet. It is all out there in the Public. Just be aware.
I was offered counterfeit money in any currency and denomination, that was as good as real, for cents on the dollar.

I declined their generous offer. Having a few more resources than the average bear, I determined the entity making the offer was in Ukraine.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Did you ever try to pass a $2 bill?

Almost got arrested.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I sold a car recently. Someone texted me right away and wanted to verify that I was a real seller. All I had to do was send them a 6 digit code that I was going to receive by another text. Didn't do that since I didn't want to turn my email account over to them.

When I sold the car it was cashier's check at their bank verified by a teller
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Did you ever try to pass a $2 bill?

Almost got arrested.
What? We use Toonies every day
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Well a toonie is not a bill, it's a coin. And it's really only a $1.40.

So there's that.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Scams

Quote:

So there's that.

Back on the bad old days, the Navy paid sailors in cash. If the local merchants started complaining about the sailors being too cheap, the Navy would pay their crews with nothing but $2.00 bills. Then a few days after payday the brass would tell the merchants to open their cash drawers and count the $2.00 bills. That usually quashed the silliness.

Failing that, the next step was declaring a day of “Dungaree Liberty” which was a sure cure. Look it up...happened in some of the worse dive bar areas in the San Francisco Bay Area. The problem joints basically got torn down with great enthusiasm.

I’m proud to have earned the name, Sailor. My kind of people...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Someone texted me right away and wanted to verify that I was a real seller. All I had to do was send them a 6 digit code that I was going to receive by another text. Didn't do that since I didn't want to turn my email account over to them.
I get about three of those with every Craigslist ad I place.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Another... story about RARE Coins

The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show is held the first two weeks of February each year. Thousands of Dealers and Customers attend.

Five years ago I was browsing booths and something caught my eye. For you Coin Collectors to enjoy. It was a Chinese vendor with beads, carved skulls out of agate, and lots of real skill used to carve agates and quartz.

A small carton of Silver Sized coins looked interesting.

Trade Dollars were minted by the USA to compete with large Silver Coins in China. Our Silver Dollar was small in comparison, so the US Mint minted a Silver Coin just for the China market. Not legal tender in the US. A 'Trade Dollar'.

These were minted between 1873 to 1885. Made in Philadelphia, San Francisco and Carson City, Nevada. If they circulated in China, the Chinese inspecting the coins would stamp their name onto the coin to verify it was authentic. Called Chop Marks. Today it is a blemish on the coin, but obvious it made it to and back from China.

There were some of the RAREST, most valuable years. 1879 to 1885. $3 each.

They were bronze with silver flashing, which made them look like a real Silver coin and had some weight. The Rarest by far was the 1885. They made only 5. The 1885 in Proof is $1,565,000 to $2,087,248. I have ALL FIVE, maybe a sixth.

Since it is even a crime to possess these without marking them..., I paid 15 cents each to have a guy Laser Print 'Counterfeit' on the reverses of each. They look.... real... good and legitimate. COUNTERFEIT in large letters on the Reverse. Drop one here and there for a metal detector guy to find???

If you find one Metal Detecting... I will give you $5. You already know it is a fake. Hows that for being a nice guy!
Old 03-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Karl Marx- Capital: First USA Edition 1889

I have a copy. Yep... a real one, too.

If you go to www.abebooks.com and search author and title and year and Highest Price. Some copies show up. Karl Marx / Capital A Critical Analysis

Mine is the New York & London, Appleton & Co. / Swan Sonnenschein & Co. printing, 1889, 816 pages. First USA Edition.

There is a new listing I see with a two volume which is the First ENGLISH British Edition. This one for $75,000.

Today I noticed a number of different First Edition printings in English. Almost like a garage sale offered a carton full of them all of a sudden.

The best price is $2,800 in Rockville, Maryland. The highest is $27,442 who has two copies in Austria.

I emailed the Austrian if he was interested in my copy. I wanted to move it along. ZZZZzzzz no response.

The $2,800 copy was $3,000 earlier in the year. Maybe to buy cheap stock on the market today and make it up later.

I had seen a low priced copy that described the book as if the title page was copied from a better 1889 copy.

What is it worth? Who cares. You can buy a new copy for $1.21 and $3.95 shipping in Arkansas. Just smells better.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I am trying to sell a Jeep on Facebook market place, it’s a fairly old and rare Jeep. Anyhow no scammers yet but a lot of low low ballers and people posting emojis to the effect that it’s over priced. It’s not. Last time I tried to sell a car on Craigslist I got no less than 5 emails that the car was over priced. I was asking 1000$ for a running and driving Saab turbo 900s. That was years ago. I never sold it and still have it. Guess what it still runs and drives.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Take the PPmoney and send the shipper packing.😂

Wish I had the skills to do this...😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Redoing our kitchen a while back and posted some appliances on Craig's List. A young couple drove down from Canada and were interested. Very nice people with cash. I asked him if he had a pocket full of Loonies and Toonies and he smiled and said, "No, I have a bunch of Franklins." We laughed pretty good over that one.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:

So there's that.
Ouch
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When we bought our Foretravel in 2013, we made an appointment to see it and spent several hours with the sellers. A few days later we called and made an offer, which was immediately accepted. We mailed a deposit check, and when they got that they called to set up a date for us to complete the transaction. We brought a bank check with us for the balance due, spent the night in our new Foretravel (time spent with sellers going over everything and getting instructions). We left with the MH and a Bill of Sale. They sent the title a few days later. No problems.

When we sell the Foretravel I expect it will go in a similar fashion, and the same when we buy the Airstream. The only difference will be that when we buy the Airstream we will literally be homeless (we're fulltimers without an S&B) so there won't be much time between seeing and making an offer.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote