Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
So, I'm shopping for my first Airstream. I am budget-constrained, not looking at new ones, and looking at small dual-axles. (ie, a 23FB, but maybe a 25 if the price is right). Thus, I'm spending a LOT of time here, and on RV Trader. Good deals get snagged quick. (I've missed two different 23FBs that had been traded in at dealerships.)

Then, one popped up. A beautiful 23' CCD, an '08, for $14k. I responded, got an email back, 'she' got it in the divorce; but instead of answering my questions about history and condition, it immediately began talking about letting the broker handle it. That's when suddenly the location was different than the ad, it was 'at a broker' that I couldn't find. They then sent a link to the 'broker', so I started trying verify its existence, and quickly found it was a scam site. Sigh.

The next week: there was another beautiful one popped up, an '07 Safari SE for $19k. Fired off for info... response came, was dad's who passed, is now at the shipper (again, in a different town); and the name in the sig-line and email was spelled differently than the person was writing within the email.

I'm still trying to find the 'right' one; but at this point, I'm wondering if I'd be better off sticking w/ what gets traded in at a dealership instead of continuing to try to contact private sellers. The search continues....
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
2015 fc23fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
So, I'm shopping for my first Airstream. I am budget-constrained, not looking at new ones, and looking at small dual-axles. (ie, a..
Find one you like that is close enough to go see and inspect. Have cash and be ready to buy. If you canít pay cash, work with a dealer or better yet buy a coach that you can buy with cash. Look at Lance, Casita, Nash.... it does not have to be an AS.

We have a 23 for sale, but itís not in your price range and too far away. Research to understand what you are buying and you will have a better outcome. It you were trying to contact us, my sincere apology. We never got a notice from the classifieds. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
So, I'm shopping for my first Airstream. I am budget-constrained, not looking at new ones, and looking at small dual-axles. (ie, a 23FB, but maybe a 25 if the price is right). ....
Use the Classified Ads on here. While not completely free of scams, the percentage is lower (my opinion).

I bought my first Airstream from an ad on a bulletin board at an Airstream only park and my second from a dealer. Buying used, you probably will not get a warranty in your interest range and will probably pay less from a private seller.

Continue to do your due diligence and good luck!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
A few years ago, we sold 2 Airstreams quickly on forums, 3 friends also sold theirs quickly. Did not get scams, so things have really changed since we sold. There must be a way to prevent scammers from the forums classified board.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Find one you like that is close enough to go see and inspect. Have cash and be ready to buy. If you can’t pay cash, work with a dealer or better yet buy a coach that you can buy with cash. Look at Lance, Casita, Nash.... it does not have to be an AS.

We have a 23 for sale, but it’s not in your price range and too far away. Research to understand what you are buying and you will have a better outcome. It you were trying to contact us, my sincere apology. We never got a notice from the classifieds. Pat
I did send a note to you inquiring about yours, just to see how much room you might have, but given how active you are on here, suspected something went awry on my end, that it was user error on my part. (Funny, we have four bikes in my house that are from Walnut Creek.)

Truth be told, there’s nothing close, not where I am, I fully expect to drive quite aways to get what I want (a 23FB, but a 25 would do if I find a bargain... my needs are a dual axle, with a queen bed and a dinette, and nothing as big as a 30; want something clean and functioning, not leaking or in need of lots of repairs; while I think the Globetrotter is beautiful, an older Flying Cloud or an even older Safari SE will be fine. No Nest, no Basecamp, no wet baths, no corner beds). And I have no interest in a SOB; I joined this site five years ago, knowing I’d eventually get one, and had been biding my time...

My youngest daughter is just about to graduate high school, will be off to college; and our son is graduating college, about to head to grad school, thus a big part of my budget limitations. Wife is a school teacher, has summers off, I’m a geologist with a state agency, get lots of leave; as about-to-be empty nesters, our intent is to do spring break and fall break trips in the east (Acadia, OBX, Smokies, etc), then multi-week trips out west in the summers.

Last month, I’ve traded in my 4Runner for a Sierra, so I can better tow what I find; and, I am willing to drive across the continent for the right deal. (I’m on the TN-VA border, but regularly drive to PA; have even driven to CO for work before.) I’ve just completed a refi on the house, am now setting up a HELOC as it’ll have a much lower interest rate than an ‘rv loan’. (And, I don’t want to drag it out the way RV loans do, don’t want any debt left before retirement...)

It’s true, that I’m wanting to keep the price down; that’s why the “looks nice at sub-$20k” caught my eye. I am well aware that most things below $20k are going to be projects, a route I’m not wanting to go... while I’ll search long and hard in that 20-30 range, I expect I’ll end up in the 30-40 range. I mean, sure, I ‘could’ buy one at $50k plus, but for what, a couple of weeks in the summer, a week each semester, holiday weekends? No, I want to dodge the depreciation hit, will be happy to shop hard for the right used one. I’m not willing to concede yet, I’ll continue to search for now, but hopefully within the next couple of months, something should turn up. No rush. ( Not like I’m going anywhere for another month, am glad to be able to work from home.)

Oh, and to be clear: both of the scam postings I came across were on RV Trader, not here on the Airstream forums’ classifieds.

Two legit deals that I just missed over the past couple of months, both 23FBs, one was an ‘08 for $24k, and the other, a ‘10 for $23k... one in DFW, the other in Spokane, each at a dealer that had gotten them in. The ‘10 was gone before I found it; the ‘08, I’d sent the first email w/ questions, and awaiting the reply for the second email, someone else put a deposit on it... sigh...

Anywho... I’ll continue to keep an eye on RV Trader, but I’ll spend more time here... now I just need to figure out what I was doing wrong when I was trying to message folks regarding certain ones... there’s a 25FB in Little Rock, needs a rock guard replaced, but I can’t get a response... will try again...
Old 04-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I did send a note to you inquiring about yours, just to see how much room you might have, but given how active you are on here, suspected something went awry on my end, that it was user error on my part. (Funny, we have four bikes in my house that are from Walnut Creek.)

Truth be told, thereís nothing close, not where I am, I fully expect to drive quite aways to get what I want (a 23FB, but a 25 would do if I find a bargain... my needs are a dual axle, with a queen bed and a dinette, and nothing as big as a 30; want something clean and functioning, not leaking or in need of lots of repairs; while I think the Globetrotter is beautiful, an older Flying Cloud or an even older Safari SE will be fine. No Nest, no Basecamp, no wet baths, no corner beds). And I have no interest in a SOB; I joined this site five years ago, knowing Iíd eventually get one, and had been biding my time...

My youngest daughter is just about to graduate high school, will be off to college; and our son is graduating college, about to head to grad school, thus a big part of my budget limitations. Wife is a school teacher, has summers off, Iím a geologist with a state agency, get lots of leave; as about-to-be empty nesters, our intent is to do spring break and fall break trips in the east (Acadia, OBX, Smokies, etc), then multi-week trips out west in the summers.

Last month, Iíve traded in my 4Runner for a Sierra, so I can better tow what I find; and, I am willing to drive across the continent for the right deal. (Iím on the TN-VA border, but regularly drive to PA; have even driven to CO for work before.) Iíve just completed a refi on the house, am now setting up a HELOC as itíll have a much lower interest rate than an Ďrv loaní. (And, I donít want to drag it out the way RV loans do, donít want any debt left before retirement...)

Itís true, that Iím wanting to keep the price down; thatís why the ďlooks nice at sub-$20kĒ caught my eye. I am well aware that most things below $20k are going to be projects, a route Iím not wanting to go... while Iíll search long and hard in that 20-30 range, I expect Iíll end up in the 30-40 range. I mean, sure, I Ďcouldí buy one at $50k plus, but for what, a couple of weeks in the summer, a week each semester, holiday weekends? No, I want to dodge the depreciation hit, will be happy to shop hard for the right used one. Iím not willing to concede yet, Iíll continue to search for now, but hopefully within the next couple of months, something should turn up. No rush. ( Not like Iím going anywhere for another month, am glad to be able to work from home.)

Oh, and to be clear: both of the scam postings I came across were on RV Trader, not here on the Airstream forumsí classifieds.

Two legit deals that I just missed over the past couple of months, both 23FBs, one was an Ď08 for $24k, and the other, a Ď10 for $23k... one in DFW, the other in Spokane, each at a dealer that had gotten them in. The Ď10 was gone before I found it; the Ď08, Iíd sent the first email w/ questions, and awaiting the reply for the second email, someone else put a deposit on it... sigh...

Anywho... Iíll continue to keep an eye on RV Trader, but Iíll spend more time here... now I just need to figure out what I was doing wrong when I was trying to message folks regarding certain ones... thereís a 25FB in Little Rock, needs a rock guard replaced, but I canít get a response... will try again...
Check with the Top of Cumberland Plateau Airstream Park. They usually have some units that are trying to be sold.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
So, I'm shopping for my first Airstream. I am budget-constrained, not looking at new ones, and looking at small dual-axles. (ie, a 23FB, but maybe a 25 if the price is right). Thus, I'm spending a LOT of time here, and on RV Trader. Good deals get snagged quick. (I've missed two different 23FBs that had been traded in at dealerships.)

Then, one popped up. A beautiful 23' CCD, an '08, for $14k. I responded, got an email back, 'she' got it in the divorce; but instead of answering my questions about history and condition, it immediately began talking about letting the broker handle it. That's when suddenly the location was different than the ad, it was 'at a broker' that I couldn't find. They then sent a link to the 'broker', so I started trying verify its existence, and quickly found it was a scam site. Sigh.

The next week: there was another beautiful one popped up, an '07 Safari SE for $19k. Fired off for info... response came, was dad's who passed, is now at the shipper (again, in a different town); and the name in the sig-line and email was spelled differently than the person was writing within the email.

I'm still trying to find the 'right' one; but at this point, I'm wondering if I'd be better off sticking w/ what gets traded in at a dealership instead of continuing to try to contact private sellers. The search continues....
If you have similar experiences with ads here on AirstreamClassifieds, please be sure to report the ad (using the "Report Ad" link on the ad.) I double-checked and don't see any recent reports from you, so I hope the ad to which you're referring is on another site... we take reports of scam ads seriously, and our new platform requires more verification from sellers. Nothing is perfect, of course, and we'll remove scammy ads and fake sellers any time we become aware of them.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you have similar experiences with ads here on AirstreamClassifieds, please be sure to report the ad (using the "Report Ad" link on the ad.) I double-checked and don't see any recent reports from you, so I hope the ad to which you're referring is on another site... we take reports of scam ads seriously, and our new platform requires more verification from sellers. Nothing is perfect, of course, and we'll remove scammy ads and fake sellers any time we become aware of them.
Correct: both of those were on RV Trader. I reported the first one, and the other got reported and removed before I could.

Quite a few ads are in both locations; I'll continue to search both, but if it's not on this site and just on the other, will know to be even more cautious (not that I wouldn't be here anyway, but... even moreso over there...)
Old 04-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Check with the Top of Cumberland Plateau Airstream Park. They usually have some units that are trying to be sold.
Thx! Will check w/ them and see what might be in or coming through....

-L
Old 04-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Find one you like that is close enough to go see and inspect. Have cash and be ready to buy. If you canít pay cash, work with a dealer or better yet buy a coach that you can buy with cash. Look at Lance, Casita, Nash.... it does not have to be an AS.

FWIW... a good friend of mine, who he and his wife had been shopping Airstreams, did end up in an Oliver instead. And so I looked at them, too. Ya know, they really are a good bit of kit. I can't fault them for going that route.

However, Olivers aren't cheap once optioned out, and haven't been around long enough to have a lot of used ones out there, you're about restricted to buying new for now. While a new equivalent Airstream is going to be more, a used Airstream becomes more competitive... and then, again, where I'm shopping even a little older, I convince myself to stick w/ the Airstream route instead...
Old 04-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #31
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Starting a new thread. Suggest you shift your search comments there as scam may be a bad title for the AS hunter. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote