Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
So.... why would a selling-dealer want to perform warranty-work on a unit he sold.... when he could make 30% MORE on one he didn't. Sounds like salesman-B.S. to me.

If I were buying NEW... I'd buy from either Colonial (NJ) or Foley (AL). Both those dealers have wonderful reviews from their many, REPEAT customers.

RR...(reverie room)... I think you should contact Good Sam for insurance...or perhaps RV America... which are both RV-specific organizations. Also, you might make certain your delivery service is insured and insist that the sale is not final until it's in YOUR possession at your place.

I guess one really has to wonder about that 30% premium... I hate to think (and tend not to believe) that someone would lie directly to me. I hope that's not the case but I see what you mean... it doesn't really make sense. I guess in retrospect, i should have questioned the statement.

I love your suggestion of asking that ownership transfers to me after delivery.. I wonder if they'd go for COD.
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
IMO you have two conflicting priorities (which have probably been resolved in other transactions like this, although I don't know how):

1. inspect the trailer at the dealer for reasons already stated;
2. make sure the trailer is in the same good shape when it arrives.

The questions are -- when does title pass to you, and who takes the "risks" during transit to your house?

Personally I would inspect the trailer at the dealer, do all the title paperwork and DMV forms there, so that the trailer is legally YOURS at that time. The Ohio DMV can issue transit plates, and the dealer has probably done this before.

You would then work out insurance and the risk of damage on the road to you with the dealer and the shipper.

Again, not sure how this is handled typically. Have you discussed this with your sales person? He or she will know how they usually do this. My guess is that they want payment in full when you inspect and "accept" the trailer at the dealer.

Maybe? ---> "It is easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going."

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
IMO you have two conflicting priorities (which have probably been resolved in other transactions like this, although I don't know how):

1. inspect the trailer at the dealer for reasons already stated;
2. make sure the trailer is in the same good shape when it arrives.

The questions are -- when does title pass to you, and who takes the "risks" during transit to your house?

Personally I would inspect the trailer at the dealer, do all the title paperwork and DMV forms there, so that the trailer is legally YOURS at that time. The Ohio DMV can issue transit plates, and the dealer has probably done this before.

You would then work out insurance and the risk of damage on the road to you with the dealer and the shipper.

Again, not sure how this is handled typically. Have you discussed this with your sales person? He or she will know how they usually do this. My guess is that they want payment in full when you inspect and "accept" the trailer at the dealer.

Maybe? ---> "It is easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going."

Good luck!

Peter
And my view is almost opposite... I would not "accept" the AS until delivered in proper condition. Any delivery-service would have insurance on the freight. My glass table-top ordered two weeks ago has been damaged twice now by FedEx and FedEx has notified me such in mid-shipment and made all returns and obtained the replacement (which they've also damaged enroute....)... the point being that getting it to me in good condition is THEIR for-profit-business and therefore THEIR problem ... NOT MINE.
Taking acceptance at the dealer makes the delivery reverie-rooms problem....the VERY THING she is trying to avoid. If she wishes to take that responsibility.... I'd suggest she get someone experienced in towing to accompany her to insure it, then go pick it up, and teach her how to tow on the way home.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
And my view is almost opposite... I would not "accept" the AS until delivered in proper condition.
. . .
Guessing that the dealer will not go for this IMO. Puts too much risk on their shoulders, from their perspective. They are in the business of selling trailers and want mainly the payment as up front as possible.

Curious to hear from the OP about what the dealer says.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Guessing that the dealer will not go for this IMO. Puts too much risk on their shoulders, from their perspective. They are in the business of selling trailers and want mainly the payment as up front as possible.

Curious to hear from the OP about what the dealer says.

My plan is to get them to assume as much responsibility as possible. I will surely keep you posted.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I very much doubt that they will let anything this expensive leave their lot until there's money in their bank account. The last thing they would want to do is to haul it 800 miles, not get paid and then haul it 800 miles back. On the other hand if you *do* hand them a check, you very much want to have title.

I'd bet you have a back and forth via Fed Ex to work out a bunch of paperwork ahead of time. You then will have a final process at the dealer if you go there. It's not an ideal setup from your standpoint. It is the way it is normally done.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said Bob.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #68
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I agree with those who recommend you go out and inspect the trailer before they deliver it to your home. You're going to want a checklist when you do that pre-delivery inspection/ walk-through of your new trailer. Here's one suggestion for that: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
[QUOTE
I wholeheartedly agree that going to Chicago is something that I should 100% do. I would not feel comfortable making a purchase of this magnitude and sitting at home wondering what is going on, is it going to make it back okay. Will I give up my opportunity to learn all the ins and outs, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations and best wishes on your new AS. Bet you will have a great time driving to and back. Please do share your experience and we like to learn from you. We will be driving 1200 miles one way from Houston to pickup Sport 22FB in Florida late August. It will be our first AS ...
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I agree with those who recommend you go out and inspect the trailer before they deliver it to your home. You're going to want a checklist when you do that pre-delivery inspection/ walk-through of your new trailer. Here's one suggestion for that: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing the blog post... what an incredibly detailed list. Frighteningly long too! Thank you!
Old 07-04-2017, 02:52 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I very much doubt that they will let anything this expensive leave their lot until there's money in their bank account. The last thing they would want to do is to haul it 800 miles, not get paid and then haul it 800 miles back. On the other hand if you *do* hand them a check, you very much want to have title.

I'd bet you have a back and forth via Fed Ex to work out a bunch of paperwork ahead of time. You then will have a final process at the dealer if you go there. It's not an ideal setup from your standpoint. It is the way it is normally done.

Bob

I think the real issue here is that I don't have a TV... and in terms of how things are normally done, I bet my situation is out of the ordinary.

I appreciate all the advice to go out there. It seems the thing to do.

My issue at this point is that I began negotiating in June with the expectation I'd have the AS in early July. The sales person said he would overnight paperwork to me (I have received nothing). I sent him an email with a list of questions, one of which was asking his schedule to accommodate a visit from me to do the orientation in person, he never responded. I sent another email the following morning and did not hear from him so I called and spoke to him. He claimed to not receive my first email but then referenced my question about coming out there and assured me it wouldn't be necessary.

I have some stuff going on next week that will prevent me from going out to Ohio or receiving the AS so looking at the third week in July before I have the AS.

Considering my lack of TV, my plan is to bring it to a camp ground for a seasonal site rental. The later in the summer that I get the AS the less palatable that plan seems as I will get very little time before I pay for winterizing and storage and lose a year of warranty.

My original thought was that if I waited for the timing to be perfect then I'd likely never get the AS... I still feel that way yet through this thread the gravity of how imperfect my situation is hitting me. Layer on top of that, the salesman who appears to be flaking out on me... not having the most optimistic outlook at this point.

On a positive note, happy birthday to our amazing country! (which I hope to see one day from an AS... which would necessitate having a bonafide TV).
Old 07-04-2017, 03:26 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
. . .
My original thought was that if I waited for the timing to be perfect then I'd likely never get the AS... I still feel that way yet through this thread the gravity of how imperfect my situation is hitting me. Layer on top of that, the salesman who appears to be flaking out on me... not having the most optimistic outlook at this point.
. . .
Remain calm . . .

All is One!

Quote:
No harm in waiting until the timing and finances are right.

When The Force Is With You, you will know it . . .

Old 07-04-2017, 03:32 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Please consider that you started a new trip [of AS ownership] a while ago, and that the physical trailer is but a small part of the journey.

It will all work out!

Peter

From Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck:

“Once a journey is designed, equipped, and put in process, a new factor enters and takes over. A trip, a safari, an exploration, is an entity, different from all other journeys. It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness. A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. Tour masters, schedules, reservations, brass-bound and inevitable, dash themselves to wreckage on the personality of the trip. Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the glass bum relax and go along with it. Only then do the frustrations fall away. In this a journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” [emphasis added]
Old 07-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
[QUOTE=OTRA15;1972190]Please consider that you started a new trip [of AS ownership] a while ago, and that the physical trailer is but a small part of the journey.

It will all work out!

Peter

Thank you Peter :-)
I appreciate the encouragement, and also the suggestion to not force things. The Steinbeck quote is beautiful. Happy 4th.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #75
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yep, don't force it. Regarding your salesperson, "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time."

If things aren't aligning for this season, then by all means line up all the plans and ideas for early next spring, when your dealer may be hungrier and therefore more attentive. Perhaps a different salesperson will be better at closing.

Who knows, by then maybe you'll have worked out a plan for having a tow vehicle.

Meanwhile, maybe you can work out an opportunity to rent an RV for a week and go have some fun. It won't be an Airstream, but you'll be in an RV, and you'll be camping.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I very much doubt that they will let anything this expensive leave their lot until there's money in their bank account. ,,,

Bob
Well... the SUBJECT of THIS thread IS... about a (refundable) DEPOSIT.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thread drift, frustrating.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Thread drift, frustrating.

Sorry you feel that way. I am so incredibly grateful for all the help and advice I've received in this thread. It's a huge purchase and not without issues that feel a bit insurmountable as I learning from those with more experience. The thread has evolved (for me as OP) rather than crept.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
RR -- You started this thread, so please don't feel you need to apologize for anything. It is a very helpful thread, and reflects real life events we have all gone through, including some of the "alleged" drifting and detours in the exact topics under discussion.

Did you ever see the movie Grumpy Old Men with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
Congrats!

Great read for a newbie like me. I've spent the past 3 nights reading post after post.

I'm subscribing to this story to read about the happy ending and next chapter.

The one theme I keep reading is when it's the 'right' time for the new owner to finally get their AS it starts a new chapter in life.

I look forward to reading your next chapter once the new AS is ready.

I'm looking at a 2007 Safari 25FB twin; but also finding out on here the problem points as well. Rethinking used vs. old. ($25500). Yesterday the sales person wanted me to put a deposit, (I'm back on topic) saying they would match my deposit up to $500. I didn't take the bait.

He did quote a for a '17 FC 27FB $93903 down to 77900.

This was over the phone, but I didn't jump on that offer. I'm in no rush, but I just trying figure out my next chapter myself.

@reverie room

You must post pictures once your all set up.
AirUSN is offline   Reply With Quote