Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Saluda372,
I agree with the “be patient” crowd. Done right, you can build a relationship with the dealer that MIGHT pay off someday.
My experiences with buying used are similar to yours. We buy vehicles new so we can order them (get a standout color and don’t pay for options you don’t want) and then we keep them forever. It’s like buying used from yourself at three years, and again at six...
We bought a VERY lightly used (one night) Bambi Sport as our intro to Airstreaming. We found out the price was mostly impressive compared to the MSRP, not what people were actually paying for new. Then the fridge and water heater went out, and as second owners, Dometic LAUGHED at us. The battery was shot and there was a short in the fan wiring... Used is not the best answer for everyone. Our “bought new” 23FB has been perfect, and we know the dealer will help us with anything that does develop (KOW, or laminate if that’s your surroundings). (Your results may vary.)
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Atwater , California
Delivery in 5 hours and 3minutes

Hang in there. We ordered our International 27FB October 6, 2020 and were told "Spring delivery but many variables beyond our control."
We checked in with dealer and Airstream customer service once per month. We received a VIN number and schedule date after the first month. It slipped a week, but are taking delivery in 5 hours and 3 minutes . . . OK, may less because I'll go early! Cancelling now will put you much further back unless you go used. Stay positive and watch YouTube videos over and over and over. It worked for me.
Andy

P.S. Tuscano's RV Center in Los Banos is upfront, fair, and cares. I worked with Dave.
AKersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
I feel your pain, but hang in there, it will be worth it. Ordered our 2021 Basecamp 20X in July and just got it a month ago. They had originally thought October! Not the dealers fault as I don’t think they get any good communication from the factory. I understood ours was held up for a/c units too. We are so excited to have it and everything is almost perfect.
ptiemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #24
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
We ordered a flying cloud 23fb last August and are now given a late April 2021 "maybe" delivery. We have already had to cancel and / or change some site bookings because of delayed delivery and uncertainty. We live in hope but agree some better communication would be nice as we try to make plans.
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
HA! I ordered my Basecamp 20x last August and was told by AS directly that "We have 1 last unsold basecamp that is scheduled to be delivered to a dealership in ME in Oct 2020. This dealership is much farther for me than the closest one, but because of AS directing me to this dealership to get a trailer in what was supposed to be last October I put a deposit down, the amount is irrelevant to me it's not tying up any needed funds.. I have been delayed 2x now, but have seen where others who ordered after me have already received their units. And I notice that they were more expensive trailer models. So it has become clear to me that AS has been prioritizing the sale of the more expensive models regardless of the order date. This is not cool. This is bogus. Total lack of transparency in this process, and my dealer is about the worst of the worst when it comes to addressing my needs as a customer. I called them to ask if they can do some work on it before I drive it home, like install a cover for the fantastic fan, but the reps at the dealership can't even answer that question. I am losing interest by the day and have major concerns about buying from them now, especially since I hear that if you try to bring your trailer in for a repair to a dealer you didn't buy from that there is a lot of red tape.
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
You always have the option of canceling and purchasing a used unit. Your new unit will be used the minute you drive it off the lot. I have been looking around fro a 30 Bunk, currently own a 2020 Int 25FB...which we love. Just looking for more convenience with kids. Im noticing more & more used/2020/2021 units on the market. Recent buyers who are going back to work and wont have time to travel.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:09 AM   #27
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Story keeps Changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
What scares me is the lack of good or consistent information. No one repeats the same thing twice. They don't even seem to know what I ordered. This has sucked all the fun out of it. Appreciate your replies.
Bad timing friend. Hope things improve.

Reminds me of some of the varied stories heard recently about getting the covid vaccines! Keep the faith!
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Amazon it's not...

...and the challenges attending a hand-crafted product notwithstanding, not sure I want an Amazon RV. A favorite question I asked folks in my office with intractable problems they wanted me to solve using administrative brute force: "Compared to what?"

I imagine this past year has far outpaced the Thor industries capability to track a number of things - unlike Amazon - and it would likely be a mistake to slow production to try and invest/install a more modern tracking system with bar codes on each part and finely tuned just-in-time supply chains. Wouldn't help as already stated the supply chains are unreliable.

All that said - I feel your frustration. I simply love information and instrumentation and am the guy that checks tracking info almost daily. They are telling me the counseling will help. Thanks for sharing. Hope this fades to a distant memory as you are off camping in your new unit.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Construction delays and cost overruns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
My in-laws are building a house. Started early spring of last year. Just now started running trim on the inside. Couple that plus the fact that they are 30-40% over budget based on their original quotes, makes for a very sour experience indeed. When I think of it that way, I don't mind the Airstream issues so much.
We were planning to build a detached shop this summer. Contractors and suppliers report they have had to drive all over the state to find enough materials to finish current work, if even possible, and are seeing materials prices between 22% and 100% higher than last year, and in some cases unable to pass along the increases... concerned about losing their business. Hopefully Canadian timber will restart soon and the supply channel can refill quickly.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Saluda372, it looks like Airstream heard you! All RV manufacturers (and customers) are suffering the same issues. Hopefully they will get it squared away for you! If you can wait it out you will have exactly the rig you want! Good luck and stay patient!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Parts shortages are very real.

Nearly every domestic vehicle builder has one or more production lines idled or competed vehicles missing their "chips" sitting on a parking lot somewhere. It will be literally three to four months for these "chips" to show up.

This is also happening to the global vehicle manufactures in other countries.

If one has a roof over their head and food on the table, they are more fortunate than lots of folks in this country. An Airstream is always a luxury item and totally unnecessary for basic survival.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
No. It's not. Not even close. It's this kind of sentiment from a position of priveledge that keeps the classes so wildly separated. I try to keep socio-politics to a minimum, but during this time especially, it's pretty difficult to tolerate these kinds of comments when there are people in our country *actually* suffering.
This thread might get more interesting now
Old 02-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
Hang in there. We ordered our Airstream in August and I just got a message from the dealer it's finally coming next week!

My advice would be just not think about it, when it comes it comes. This is one purchase you don't want to rush, and you don't want Airstream using substandard parts or cutting corners to make delivery dates.

Spend this time really educating yourself on all of the ins and outs of your trailer. So much great info on this forum and on YouTube, you'll have your PhD in Airstreaming by the time it arrives.
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
Saluda372, it looks like Airstream heard you! All RV manufacturers (and customers) are suffering the same issues. Hopefully they will get it squared away for you! If you can wait it out you will have exactly the rig you want! Good luck and stay patient!
And this is based on what?

A contractor payed to monitor the Forums?

If ordered during these known times...expect open ended delays.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #35
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Unless you need the cash back you put down as a deposit, I would hold on to the order assuming you negotiated a decent discount off of MSRP. Prices will keep going up and dealers are charging near MSRP on any in-stock unit they get their hands on (which come mostly through canceled orders). Having a confirmed order placed 4 months ago puts you ahead of lots of other people. In the meantime you certainly could continue to watch listings and see if a late model used or a new one pops up at a price that isn’t too much of a premium over waiting.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #36
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Buy a used one...

Buy a used one and leave the deposit on the new one for now.
See how long it REALLY takes.
When the new one shows up sometime in 2023 or so, sell the used one you bought or walk away from the new one and keep the used one and tell them you didn't order a 2023, you ordered a 2021 and tell an attorney you want your money back.
flyerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerboy View Post
Buy a used one and leave the deposit on the new one for now.
See how long it REALLY takes.
When the new one shows up sometime in 2023 or so, sell the used one you bought or walk away from the new one and keep the used one and tell them you didn't order a 2023, you ordered a 2021 and tell an attorney you want your money back.
Or...don't do ANY of that. Geez. Never good to lawyer up over something like this.

The delays are part of the world we are currently living in. AS would be very happy to receive all your money as fast as possible, but parts are incredibly difficult to come by. Be patient, or ask for your deposit back and hope to find a used one sooner than July.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Everything Has Changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I feel your pain. We are building a new house. Builder said end of 2020 or January 2021. We sold our house based upon that information. Well we are living in a VRBO with all our belongings in storage. Getting expensive. Had I known what I know now we would have sold our house in the Spring. It’s practically like living in a 3rd world country with all the shortages. Some I can understand, and some I think are just plain dumb and people are scamming the system. But it is frustrating; especially living in a vrbo without our belongings 30 to 50 minutes from where we want to live.
We are also in the process of building a house and lots of items have very unusual lead times right now. Windows, doors, shingles, appliances, etc. The list is long.
If your builder is doing things like he has always done, you are in trouble. Lead times on so many things have change and need to be constantly updated and checked on. Heck even 2X12's are in short demand.

Good Luck!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Not sure what kind of response you are looking for. It’s hard for a lot of people on a lot of levels now—some are dealing with illness and death and unemployment. It would surprise me greatly if COVID has not caused shutdowns at manufacturing plants at Airstream or its suppliers. Maybe Airstream isn’t handling customer service very well but really—if what’s bugging you is that you are not getting a recreational vehicle costing tens of thousands of discretionary dollars when you were told you would get it, then maybe you don’t in fact “understand the times.”

My family has had setbacks in our lives too regarding construction. Materials and supply chain issues pushed some aspects of our projects out 8 months or more. COVID had work crews quarantining from time to time and work stopped. There’s nothing I can do about any of that and it doesn’t take much to realize that these delays are in the scheme of things really small problems. The number one thing contractors told me was that it really helped them that I was understanding. For those of us lucky enough to be able to pursue these projects or acquisitions, my goodness, I think it’s the least we can do.

I’m not trying to belittle your frustration or be incendiary. Just trying to put it in perspective. I see a lot of “I paid $$$ for this and deserve the best” on this board that I think is tone deaf, especially now.

Cancel your contract if the inconvenience of manufacturing realities during a pandemic will truly suck the joy out of an Airstream for you.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Not sure what kind of response you are looking for. It’s hard for a lot of people on a lot of levels now—some are dealing with illness and death and unemployment. It would surprise me greatly if COVID has not caused shutdowns at manufacturing plants at Airstream or its suppliers. Maybe Airstream isn’t handling customer service very well but really—if what’s bugging you is that you are not getting a recreational vehicle costing tens of thousands of discretionary dollars when you were told you would get it, then maybe you don’t in fact “understand the times.”

My family has had setbacks in our lives too regarding construction. Materials and supply chain issues pushed some aspects of our projects out 8 months or more. COVID had work crews quarantining from time to time and work stopped. There’s nothing I can do about any of that and it doesn’t take much to realize that these delays are in the scheme of things really small problems. The number one thing contractors told me was that it really helped them that I was understanding. For those of us lucky enough to be able to pursue these projects or acquisitions, my goodness, I think it’s the least we can do.

I’m not trying to belittle your frustration or be incendiary. Just trying to put it in perspective. I see a lot of “I paid $$$ for this and deserve the best” on this board that I think is tone deaf, especially now.

Cancel your contract if the inconvenience of manufacturing realities during a pandemic will truly suck the joy out of an Airstream for you.

[emoji1318]