Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quality Control Issues and you STILL bought a new AS?

I've been cruising these threads off and on for the past few months; thinking, wondering, hoping to buy a trailer sometime soon. But I've developed a real concern about AS.

It is evident that new AS have some significant quality issues. Many threads herein have discussed spydering [cracking?] of the aluminum sheathing [or is it just the clearcoat?] around curved surfaces on trailers; other threads have talked about delivery issues, leaks around penetrations, appliance mishaps, dealer disappointments. Still others have even decided they had to take their trailer back to the factory to obain satisfactory warranty service. [!!!] I think I even saw a response or two that suggested getting the parts from AS and performing teh repair yourself. None of this would be tolerated in any other purchase of this magnitude.
This on NEW trailers. NEW trailers that are more expensive per square foot than other trailers.

I get the AS mystique. [Heck, that's why I am considering one.] I get the styling. BUT, this hurdle of paying a premium for poor workmanship is starting to be an issue. [Sort of like paying for Range Rover when all rankings list it near the bottom in terms of quality control.]

So, I am curious about why, when it came right down to it, you bought an AS?
BEcause of the "cool" factor, quality be darned? Because of the "mystique" even though the dealer network seems questionable?
Do you just accept it because, well, because that's the way it is? [The "all trailers are problematic" theory of life?]

IN other words, are you going to tell me to either buy one or not but don't complain about the quality?
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Well , you don't have one and you are complaining so I think either way you have the complaining thing going for you and we Airstreamers have this forum where complaints are welcome.

But why I bought my AS - I have had 3 other RV's and they all had problems. I prefer the AS because even with the problems, they last a long time and hold their value real well. And they are easy to tow.

I went to the Austin RV show last month - and looked at a lot of really nice RV's. There were 5th wheel trailers with fireplaces and ceiling fans, full wet bars and handball courts inside. Gotta love those slide outs! They cost about as much as a new 25 foot Airstream. But they lack one thing: rivets.

Rivets are important because when you see them you know you have an aluminum frame and skin. Which means 25 years later you will still have your Airstream. Now I don't plan to keep my AS that long but I do expect someone will be using it so it is going to be worth more when I sell it, lowering my overall cost of camping.

Retains its value, looks cool, tows well. Works for me.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Well, Bill, here's our story. We did a lot of research shopping before we bought Lucy. Lucy is a 2005 Safari 25FB that we bought new in 2006. Since then we have spent over 600 nights in Lucy and have towed her over 50,000 miles. Even though Lucy has some faults, she has performed very well. All systems have performed well under fairly heavy use.

We don't know of another brand of travel trailer that could have held up to the use that Lucy has seen. Yes, we spent $36,000 for Lucy. She is still worth $25,000. We think that this is pretty good. We could have bought a lesser travel trailer for $25,000 that would now be worth $5,000.

We think that an Airstream is worth the investment.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
My trailer was rolling just fine after 46 years. After my renovations it will roll just fine for another 50.

Will the beautiful 5ers with fireplaces and bathrooms larger than my brick-and-mortar master bedroom still be doing that? Not everyone values this, but it's something to consider anyway.

If you do choose to buy an Airstream, welcome to the club from a fellow Austinite!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
have owned plenty of travel trailers over the years.bought an airstream so that when time permits i can get out on the open road.in my opinion nothing tows like an airstream.this is my 2nd new one that i purchased and after 4 years of ownership i am still pleased with this coach.the abuse that extended travel does to trailers is pretty bad.this airstream looks as good now as the day i picked it up.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Not trying to be a wise guy but I think it is kind of like rock and roll music and Harley Davidsons, if you have to ask........
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
I bought mine for many different reasons, but two of them stand out.
1) I would rather own a "fixable" and keep until I die, unlike my friends who purchased "disposables" and replace them every 5-10 years.
2) The cool factor. Airstreams are cool and everyone knows it. Spartans are cool, Bolers are cool, many vintage trailers also are cool. If I were to get a trailer that was a big, square, vinyl box it would go against the very fiber of my being! God created me to be cool, and I do not want to disappoint Him by camping in an uncool trailer.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have worked at new car dealers that also sold motorhomes. I worked on some of them too. First time out, they would return with a list 47 items long to be repaired. Second time back, 32 Items on list. Third time back, 23 items on list. And every visit after that 10 to 15 items on list. RV's will always need some sort of attention. To own an RV you need to be an all around handyman, A carpenter / electrician / plumber / mechanic / Etc. Or Rich. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Why an Airstream? Low center of gravity, rounded body shape, and the ability to be worked on, because everything was brought in through the door and it can all be removed through the door. SOB's are stapled together and working on cabinets Etc require prying things apart. Glue and staples make things really difficult to work with. Note: I found this forum after I bought my Airstream so I had no outside influence before purchase.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
Not trying to be a wise guy but I think it is kind of like rock and roll music and Harley Davidsons, if you have to ask........
LOL... I ride a Harley and although my taste for music includes many genres, I love God, Guns and Rock & Roll.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Well, if you want the 'real' truth about AS ownership...

You don't really 'buy' one, you 'adopt' it...If you opt for a new rig, you'll have to coddle and nurture your new 'baby', possibly having to deal with a disappointment or two, as you guide it through adolescence toward maturity...

If you opt for an older 'baby', as we did, you'll find it has become comfortable with it's lifestyle, but will still require some nurturing from it's new keepers, upon occasion...

Either way, for most of the 'adopters' you read about here on Airforums, our AS's mean much more to us than just another RV parked out in the cold...

For all the Good times, as well as the bad, our Airstreams are indeed a different way of life...I'm sure our own 'Blue Halo' will still be strutin' it's stuff long after we're gone, a surviving member of our family, with perhaps a 'tear' from it's windows in the cool morning mist...

Ray
Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
I have dreamed of owning an Airstream for longer than I can remember. They always seemed like too much money to spend for a tent.

I have owned tents, a tent trailer, a box trailer and a 5th wheel. We enjoyed each experience.

About 10 years ago we quit camping altogether, bought 2 Harley's and traveled all over our beautiful country... while spending a fortune on motels.

About a year ago, I finally had to face the reality that I was just too old to be going on long adventures on a motorcycle. It was time for a change.

We decided that we wanted to get back into camping. I am the kind of fellow that doesn't like to have the same thing that everyone else has. I looked at what was out there, but nothing stirred my passion until I started to take a serious look at Airstreams.

I had wanted a vintage, but due to a few health issues I knew that I could no longer deal with the work and time I knew one of these beauties would take.

So, as funny as this may sound to some, I had to settle for a newer model.

About 6 months ago I began to shop around. For various reasons, 4 deals fell apart.

Finally, 32 days ago, I found the one we believed we would enjoy. Two days later, on April Fools Day, I bought a 2007 Classic Limited FB. I may have paid far more that I should have, but I talked them down 6K and paid 44K for a trailer and 2 years of warranty, that only 3 years ago had an MSRP of about 82K. Bottom line, I liked it, so what I paid didn't really matter all that much. Compared to what it would have cost for a Marathon motor home, that was pocket change.

I knew when I bought it that there was going to be issues, there always is with most anything you buy.

I have owned my Airstream for 29 days and I have a growing list of things to do, but none are serious or difficult to resolve.

It is not going to matter what you buy, problems are going to come to you. If I must spend money to fix something, it might as well be something I have a connection to and a passion for. After 38 years, I'll bet my wife thinks that about her experience with me. LOL

Oh, and there is that "cool" factor. ;>)

Most folks don't know this, but aluminum can make a person feel 19 again. Heck, my hair is already starting to grow back and the ladies are winking at me just like the old days. LOL

Bill, buy what you believe you are going to enjoy. What ever it is, what ever it costs, you are the guy that's going to have to be happy with it. So far, I still love mine. In 6 months, we'll see, but in my life, everything is a risk or it's not life.

In a life where death is the hunter, there is no time for regrets, only decisions.

Good luck to you.....

Dan

I still can't believe that I own an Airstream... YES, I OWN A BEAUTIFUL AIRSTREAM...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Well, if you want the 'real' truth about AS ownership...

You don't really 'buy' one, you 'adopt' it...If you opt for a new rig, you'll have to coddle and nurture your new 'baby', possibly having to deal with a disappointment or two, as you guide it through adolescence toward maturity...

If you opt for an older 'baby', as we did, you'll find it has become comfortable with it's lifestyle, but will still require some nurturing from it's new keepers, upon occasion...

Either way, for most of the 'adopters' you read about here on Airforums, our AS's mean much more to us than just another RV parked out in the cold...

For all the Good times, as well as the bad, our Airstreams are indeed a different way of life...I'm sure our own 'Blue Halo' will still be strutin' it's stuff long after we're gone, a surviving member of our family, with perhaps a 'tear' from it's windows in the cool morning mist...

Ray
I like that. Well said.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Wishlists....

I'm curious....

I only deal with vintage trailers but now our towing widths have changed in the UK I am looking at 30 years of progress in the Airstream world

For those of you who have bought a newer Airstream.....
what is missing that you would dearly love to be in your trailer when you bought it 'off the shelf' so to speak...
If you could do it again with a wishlist would you make any changes or additions now you are familiar with the workings?

I'm interested in any views

www.vintage-americana.co.uk

+44 (0)7984 662 532

Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Moses, that answer was COOL! you rock man
goutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
The Community

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the Airstream Community that comes along with owning an Airstream. It's something that I didn't know about when I bought mine and it turned out to be the best feature by far.

Have you ever seen a Forest River Rally? or a Keystone Rally?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Bromsgrove , Worcestershire
Must be something in the Build Quality that attracts me, after all I ride a Harley and drive a Land Rover. All 3 have their issues, but would I trade anyone of them in for a different make.................not on your life I wouldn't.
Chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You do realize a brand new trailer can be had that was built 30, 40 , 50+ years ago. By working with a quality restoration shop you could have a trailer that is exactly as you wish it to be. Most(but not all) restoration shops take great pride in what they do and the final product is often better built than what originally rolled off the line. The cost for such service is very much in line with a brand new unit.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Have you ever seen a Forest River Rally? or a Keystone Rally?
To be fair, I've been to a T@B rally (used to own one) and I know the Trailmanor and Roadtrek folks have them. But there again, they are off-the-beaten-path brands with devoted followings.

Maybe the best statement on this I read on this forum was that owning an Airstream is not like owning a Japanese car. They need maintenance and repair. But happily, the second best statement on this I've read is that maintenance on an AS is a whole lot cheaper than keeping up a vacation home...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I think this makes a fair case for "slightly" used; let the new owners work through some issues and suffer the depreciation. You get the AS at a lower cost, still get the chance to work on it [yeah! I think?] but don't have to tow it back.

I guess it's fair to say that ALL trailers have problems [just a fact of life you have to accept if you want to trailer] its just that AS is the least bad of the bunch because of perceived value and, at least, you get to be "cool" and hang out with people who, sort of, at least think they are as cool as you are.

Okay, fair enough.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pocono Mountains , Pennsylvania
Loud complaining happens on every forum

One thing I have learned over the years is that internet forums are a blessing and a curse. It doesn't matter whether you are researching cars, trucks, motorcycles, trailers or any other product for that matter; there are two absolute truths; 1) The probably exists a forum where people are discussing it and 2) that forum will contain tons of complaints, product bashing, mis-information and a wide spectrum of opinions.

I read posts here for almost a year and a half and was at times freaked out about all of the quality issues that were being discussed - even to the point that we started to seriously look at other brands. Just for background we are experienced campers growing up traveling by trailer and we've owned other brands in the past. This time I had my heart set on the unique, durable and iconic Airstream.

Well, last year we finally bought one, a 23 foot front bedroom Flying Cloud. We absolutely love it, have already been some amazing places in it and any minor issues we have had were promptly fixed or adjusted by our dealer Colonial Airstream.

When we look at our Airstream we see more than just a trailer; we see adventure for years to come as well as one of the best conversation starters we've ever experienced. Everyone who camps knows what an Airstream is and many want to stop and talk about it.

We love everything about owning an Airstream and since you said in your original post that you were considering one, you are probably doing so for all the reasons we've stated above that we own them.

Buy from a reliable dealer, make sure you care for your purchase by cleaning, waxing, and properly maintaining the systems and you will be rewarded with decades of enjoyment.

One final parting thought - this forum in particular welcomes complaints and the members go out of their way to help address them. The is no other forum I have ever participated in that provides a better source for such reliable, helpful and friendly information. We love our Airstreams and we want others to enjoy the experience as well.

Hope this helps.
scotttho is offline   Reply With Quote