Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
Question Price Check

Total Newbie here - shopping for a 1965 GlobeTrotter

I'm going for an in-person look and hopefully to negotiate a local purchase.

There's not too much info and only a few pictures. It looks to be cosmetically nice but the tires are shot and I'm guessing it has been sitting in the yard without seeing any maintenance for a while. The cushions and blinds are shot but to me the rest of the interior looks reasonable clean. I don't know the condition of the systems or appliances, yet.

I read the Price v. Condition pages and I think this one looks like as a pretty good condition "as found" and which would suggest $2900, but since the listing price is $3500 and the reserve isn't yet met, he clearly wants more than that.

I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium because This GT is 6.4 miles from my house and it's the size I want. But I don't want to overpay. I don't have a tow vehicle and won't till at least next spring but because it's so close I'm hoping he can deliver it and if not I think I can get somebody to pick it up for $50. I'm far east on Long Island and getting a trailer from elsewhere to here means at least 3 hours and renting something with a hitch. (although I realize that limits his market going in the opposite direction)

Any thoughts as to what I should offer and what's the most it is worth? Maybe y'all could suggest a range depending on what the inspection shows?

Dag68 (Dave)
Dag68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums.

The GT in the ad shows well with the limited number of pictures. Smaller trailers from the 60s are in demand and will normally go for a lot more then the P vs C document lists. I would visit the seller and make an offer and see what happens.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Being only 6 miles away, and it looks like it has been polished, I would e-mail him or her and make an offer of $6000.00. Then put another $6,000 into it (new axle, electical, plumbing etc, etc.....and you will have a great little trailer.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
"skin tear" and "one small dent" can be a lot bigger deal than you think. Go see it. Take pictures, show us, then make the offer.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The pictures don't reveal much and as close as you are it certainly would be worth the time to look it over in person. The ad says the unit is for sale locally. Any idea what the asking price is?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Thanks for the feedback, gang!

On Saturday, I'll take pictures to post. I'm away from home, so I won't see it before then.

I was inclined towards 6 or 7 K as a top price, but after looking at condition v. price I was worried that'd be overpaying.

I haven't found it listed for sale on craig's list or the local papers. I'm not sure he's gotten around to listing it locally. I did find this listing which has an additional picture, but no guidance on price.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself.... That trailer is close at hand and available now. Generally a search for something as unique as a GT is a region-wide search that involves some nonproductive travel. There was a story of someone who had money down on a trailer who was stiffed by an [moderator edit] seller who sold it to someone else anyway just this week. Sadly, it's common, and unless you are willing to pay a dealer to broker the sale or have friends in the area you just have to figure it's part of shopping.

And it does show well in the photos.

To my eye the fridge looks like an electric one. Undoing that and getting a propane fridge in there can be a huge expensive project.

It's been sitting and if the tires are shot, so are the brakes, and there's a good chance the axles are too.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
One door closed and another opened

Well, crap! The guy with the GT sold it even though I hap an appointment to see it tomorrow morning and he didn't even give me a chance to beat the other guys price. I'm crushed - I was definately counting my chickens...

But, earlier today a 1968 Caravel was listed on ebay not too far away. Although it looks to be in much worse condition than the GT, it does offer the bonus of tires that at least hold air. The seller seems to have plucked his numbers right from Price v. Condition - start the bidding at $2000 and buy it now of $3800. There are only a few exterior pictures on the eBay listing, but he's put a few videos on youtube. He looks to be straight shooter, at least.

Any thoughts on this one?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
First:
Do you WANT a 68 Caravel project??
If so, I would suggest buying that one as it's "not bad" and lots to work with. But will take the other $5-7K to fix.

The floor is gone;spelled BIG PROJECT.

Why is floor gone? Probably NOT "a little water spilling out from the shower": meaning roof leaks!

What's with the missing window? How much water came in there for how long?

The roof dent: mine looks IDENTICAL; caused by snow falling from tall trees.

Axle, windows, roof leaks, floor, refrigerator, upholstery.
It will be a NICE $10K Caravel in about 2-3 years.

Buy it, enjoy it.

Or keep up hunting for nicer original, without project. I found mine in Illinois: had to travel 3000 miles for it.
Close to home counts big.

If you're up for a project, it sounds "reasonable" by Alaska/West Coast standards.

Oh, PLEASE sell me the curtains! Love that fabric (really)
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
While I was scheduling to inspect this one, someone exercised the buy-it-now, but I'm not sad because I think it needed just too much work.

Tags
globetrotter, price